2CVs and bikers

Bike Chat only please
ChrisD
France

2CVs and bikers

Post by ChrisD » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:50 am

Sort of bike related. I noticed from a recent post that as well as 2CVandy, motocycliste is also a 2CV owner. I am an ex 2CV owner and a UK biker mate still owns one. Is it because we are bikers that we are attracted to this quirky french auto? I just wondered how many on here are also current or ex owners.

UTC

Cornishman
France

2CVs and bikers

Post by Cornishman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:44 am

I had one in the past as well.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

2CVs and bikers

Post by wizzard » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:03 am

I used to deliver new ones in Scotland, and considered buying my neighbours one last year.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Andrew
New Zealand

2CVs and bikers

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 am

Had a friend with the 'hatchback' 2CV - the Dyane. My word it was basic. I remember it being draughty and so cold as fuk in the winter, really not pleasant motoring. Maybe cool for popping out to the boulangerie of a summer's evening but not one for the M4 in January.

Stella
France

2CVs and bikers

Post by Stella » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:15 pm

My first car was a Dyane and I loved him to bits even though it was a crock! I replaced it with a Renault 4 van, much more useful for lugging hay bales around and still quite quirky :)
Mountains are for riding up and skiing down!

motocycliste
England

2CVs and bikers

Post by motocycliste » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:31 pm

I used to detest working on them, mainly because they were usually in a horrible neglected condition and invariably had lots of sharp edges ready to remove skin and draw blood.
Now that I actually own one I have come to admire the clever design and construction.
My one is only 435cc and rather limited on power but it does have a centrifugal clutch and the heater is excellent on a frosty day. Just right for local trips and the youngsters love it

Cornishman
France

2CVs and bikers

Post by Cornishman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:27 pm

motocycliste wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:31 pm
I used to detest working on them, mainly because they were usually in a horrible neglected condition and invariably had lots of sharp edges ready to remove skin and draw blood.
Now that I actually own one I have come to admire the clever design and construction.
My one is only 435cc and rather limited on power but it does have a centrifugal clutch and the heater is excellent on a frosty day. Just right for local trips and the youngsters love it
What year is it? When I was a child my dad bought a 1954 435cc 2CV4. It was a wonderful thing with the centrifugal clutch and wipers that worked off the speedo drive. My own, years later was the full power 602cc.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

motocycliste
England

2CVs and bikers

Post by motocycliste » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:16 am

Mine is a modern one, it has electric window wipers!
I have to keep it in the warm garage. If I left it out in the rain I’m sure that it would dissolve rather rapidly as did most of them.

Cornishman
France

2CVs and bikers

Post by Cornishman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 am

A warm garage is the one of worst possible place to keep something prone to rust.

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

2CVs and bikers

Post by 2cvandy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:08 am

I used to go to lots of 2CV club rallies in the UK, and a surprising number of members were bikers, maybe it's the air cooled thing (though of course not many bikes are now), or maybe it's because they lean over on corners,,,,,,, :D

I've had lots of classic cars over the years, including Rolls, Bentley, Cadillac, Humber, Rover,,,,,,, all big luxurious barges really, and the 2CV wasn't bought as a classic, just cheap transport. But 23 years later, it's the only one I still have, far longer than I've ever kept any bike, and it still makes me smile every time I drive it.
For years it lived out the front of the house, I always seemed to have to move something else to get anything out of the garage so the 2CV got used for everything, but it did take it's toll,,,,,,

Luckily, we were planning the move over here about that time, so obviously she had to be restored and come too, now she lives a life of luxury in a de-humidified garage, age has it's priviledges.

and the heater's toasty BTW, they just need adjusting between summer and winter settings to get the best out of em.
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped