Hammersmith Bridge, West London.

kitcarman
England

Post by kitcarman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:53 am

I'm glad not to be travelling into Central London at the moment, what a bloody nightmare it will be on Top of all the extra monies that the power's to be inflict on people wanting to earn an honest bob or two. Shame on the political classes to allow this to happen out of the blue. Was the timing aimed to coincide with the protest in aid of the military men, to deflect attention from it? Also raise the feeling against said Demo?

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:23 am

I suspect it wasn't so much out of the blue but unreported in the hope that financing could be found before raising alarm. So timing of the announcement is probably little to do with factors outside of that context. Knowing the area, admittedly from 10+ years ago, it will create traffic problems (or should I adopt tabloid speak and say mayhem!)

But it really does speak to the lack of public financing that has occurred over the last x years. It seems there is money around for privately financed projects so maybe the answer is in that direction; flog it to private financiers for it to repaired and reopened as a toll bridge?