That old chestnut - how many years is your lid good for?

Bike Chat only please
elv
Great Britain

Post by elv » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 am

Apologies if this has been asked before....

So I've always thought that your lid is good for about 5yrs, give or take and I've always thought that this was due to UV light on the outer shell and sweat/oil affecting the polystyrene on the inside. So surely these two parameters are governed by how often you use your lid. If you go out for a blat every two weeks then, compared to someone who rides every day, how long is your lid good for? If you have a carbon lid instead of a fibreglass/polycarbonate lid, does that make a difference to UV light degradation. I tend to use modular lids because I'm a glasses wearer and I find it more convenient but I've also got a full-face helmet too in carbon incase I wanted to do a trackday. As it happens, I never did. The carbon lid has sat in a back in the wardrobe most of its life (5yrs infact).

So what is the collective thinking on this. I've just seen a Lazer Carbon Monaco for sale at a good price. Never been worn but I know that it's 6yr old tech. Would you?

Thoughts please...

Yes there are two paths you can go down, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on...

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:45 am

It's a personal decision based on how much wear your helmet gets, I don't buy the sweat degrades the lining of the shell argument, but UV will affect the resins in the shell so don't store it in the sun. If it's never been dropped or crashed in, never stored where the UV from the sun can get at it and the straps and pads are in good nick there is no real reason to replace it at five years IMHO. Arai have said 7 years from date of manufacture, Shoei say five.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-oft ... cle-helmet
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 pm

I reckon it's a good question that needs to be revisited periodically.

I agree that helmet life is very much to do with how much usage it gets. Whilst helmets probably do degrade a little sitting on a shelf (not in the sun) the amount of degradation can probably (as the linked article states) be discounted.

So I guess more depends on how often you use a helmet and, as I've yet to see (though I don't actively look for) any comparative usage figures to help you decide, that leaves you to your own judgement call based on your own usage. I guess the 5 ( or 7 year) figure is based on 'average' usage. But what is average?

Personally, I can safely say I'm less than average usage, so I'm happy to go with 7+ for my Shoei. That is to say, I start thinking about it at 7 years. My last helmet, a Nolan X-Lite (my favourite ever BTW), was reluctantly replaced after around 8 years.

coeurdelion
France

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Mine was on my head for about 300 miles then it's been in the protective bag for the last 16 years out of the Sun with the rest of my protective clothing,don't think if a butterfly lands on it that it will explode so if and when I get a project finished or buy another road ready bike will quite happily evict any mice that are living in it and put it on.coeurdelion

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:56 pm

My g/f isnt happy - the mice have been living in her helmet and have ripped her favorite and expensive gloves to pieces. And she now keeps asking if I think they will have crapped in it - nah, no worries, they would not have crapped in their home. Pee'd maybe....................
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

elv
Great Britain

Post by elv » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks for all the comments. Like anything; airbags, gloves, lids, condoms - you don't know how good it is until you find yourself in a 'situation'. Sticking with the theme of lids, I'll take the chance, I think. The lid I'm looking at went out of production in 2015 and is a third of the price. I know there is the whole 'put a price on your head' aspect but for all the helmets I've ever bought in the past, I didn't (or wouldn't) know how long they'd been stuck in a storeroom or on a shelf somewhere. I'll let you know how I get on...
Yes there are two paths you can go down, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on...

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm

I've been using the same open faced helmet for more than 10 years ( the full face is nearly new) and I'm quite happy with it. Its covered in a leather and rubber coating so the UV light doesnt damage it.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Dieselspanner
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Dieselspanner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:42 pm

I was lucky enough to get away without using a helmet for just over the first two years of my time on bikes, if I'm mucking about up here in the Pyrenees I still don't.

I ski without a helmet and being made to wear one on the slopes would severely piss me off, my head my choice. I feel the same about seat belts as well.

At the time of the helmet ban Enoch Powell campaigned against it, not on safety grounds, but as the thin edge of the wedge eroding personal liberties, he's not been far wrong when one considers the 'Nanny State' of today.

Cheers
Stef

coeurdelion
France

Post by coeurdelion » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:32 pm

wizzard wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:56 pm
My g/f isnt happy - the mice have been living in her helmet and have ripped her favorite and expensive gloves to pieces. And she now keeps asking if I think they will have crapped in it - nah, no worries, they would not have crapped in their home. Pee'd maybe....................
Could have been worse wizzard,could have been one of them loir/rongeur,now they do stink!!!!!!

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 pm

wizzard wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm
I've been using the same open faced helmet for more than 10 years ( the full face is nearly new) and I'm quite happy with it. Its covered in a leather and rubber coating so the UV light doesnt damage it.
I thought we were talking about motorcycling not bedroom accessories.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.