Armed guards on Brittany Ferries.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:21 am

I travelled Roscoff/Plymouth on Friday 5th of April. I was informed just before boarding, (leaflet handed out to every vehicle in the queue.) That there would be "sea marshalls" on board for the crossing.
What I did NOT expect was three French soldiers armed with fully automatic weapons and three Gendarmes similarly armed, all with at least five magazines of ammunition each. (The soldiers guns looked like they had 30 round magazines.)

Security is one thing, tooled up to fight a localised war on board the ferry is something VERY worrying.

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:33 am

That sort of security has been around in larger towns for quite a while now. I suppose gun carrying law enforcers on the street still seems strange to many British residents. I’m glad you made it over OK, how long are you here for?
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:48 pm

The armed guards were on the ferry for the entire crossing.

GuzziGraham
England

Post by GuzziGraham » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:45 pm

They were on the Portsmouth/Cean crossing I was on last month as well. Personally I don’t see a problem I am sure they are fully trained 8-)

ShovelHead
Great Britain

Post by ShovelHead » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 pm

HI
I pre fare to se the law tooled up i was in Stansted airport last December the place was heaving there was not one sign of any security
non in uninformed was a bit concerned with the amount of people milling at the inside entrance as i was thinking of the episode at
the Scottish airport where they rammed a car in to the building .but nothing happened but i was on edge i pre fare to se a police precence

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:24 pm

GuzziGraham wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:45 pm
They were on the Portsmouth/Cean crossing I was on last month as well. Personally I don’t see a problem I am sure they are fully trained 8-)
I fail to see the need for six fully tooled up with automatic weapons army/police, with enough ammunition to start a war. (I was surprised at the choice of weaponry as well.)
There is nowhere on the ship that would be a long range engagement.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:05 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:24 pm
GuzziGraham wrote:
I fail to see the need for six fully tooled up with automatic weapons army/police, with enough ammunition to start a war. (I was surprised at the choice of weaponry as well.)
I think the numbers and weaponry are meant as a detterant, nothing else, but the government must be seen to adequately protecting the public. I was in La Rochelle just after the Nice massacre, and there were heavily armed troops everywhere and armed security guards. I didnt mind them being there if it kept the nutters away.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

kitcarman
England

Post by kitcarman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:44 pm

They might have been ex scouts, just being prepared. Dibdib dob and all that. icon_Hi ya! icon_loopy incon_doh

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:11 pm

papasmurf wrote:
GuzziGraham wrote:
As someone who has done such a task; there is no point being armed with anything less than such a weapon . Pistols are popguns, only useful for final self defence.
“Rules for a gunfight;
1. Do not bring a weapon with less than 30 rounds in the magazine
2. Estimate how much ammo you will need in the worst case. Double it . Then take 2 extra mags.”

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:49 am

Jamstealer wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:11 pm
papasmurf wrote:
GuzziGraham wrote:
As someone who has done such a task; there is no point being armed with anything less than such a weapon . Pistols are popguns, only useful for final self defence.
“Rules for a gunfight;
1. Do not bring a weapon with less than 30 rounds in the magazine
2. Estimate how much ammo you will need in the worst case. Double it . Then take 2 extra mags.”
My problem is they were all armed with "long" automatic rifles. None of them had the shorter automatics more suited to confined spaces.