Not looking forward to this. Registering my bikes in France

Discussion on Registering / Importing Bikes to France
elv
Great Britain

Post by elv » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:36 pm

So I guess that this is my turn. I've been through a lot of the posts here already - some posted before ANTS and some after. One particular sob story (Andrew and his Deauville) gives me the heebie jeebies. So lets go...

First up: 1997 VFR750. Uk bike, 100bhp, no ABS. So far, so good. Has original end can but Motad downpipes/collector. Has Front forks from a Honda Firestorm (for the 4 pot brakes). Other little mods like scottoiler, 12v socket, seat cubby I hope won't make a difference. Have owned it for over 21yrs and don't really want to take it back to the Uk to sell it. That is the straightforward one.

Second bike: 1989 VFR400RJ. Jap import, registered UK 1998. 59bhp, no ABS, Declared salvage - uneconomical to repair - in 2005 on the V5, stubby exhaust but otherwise standard. I understand that these were never officially brought into France. Hoping the 30yr thing might help me out.

It gets worse...

1967 Royal Enfield Bullet 500. Indian import, 24bhp, it can only dream of ABS, Registration book in Hindi. Engine from a 1991+ model. No V5. I might as well just look at this in the living room (if I never lived on the first floor!)

What are my chances?
Attachments
IMG_8647 (Small).JPG
DSC02152 (Small).JPG
DSC00174 (Small).JPG

Yes there are two paths you can go down, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on...

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Hopefully you should be able to get the two older bikes registered by getting a Certificate through FFVE. THE VFR750 could be difficult for several reasons, the main two being that you will probably need to get an Attestation of Partial Conformity from a Honda France stating that your bike is similar to those sold in France and there in lie your problems;

1. The bike cannot be modified (Andrew’s exhaust)
2. Honda really aren’t helpful

It will not be the straightforward one.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

Post by 2cvandy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Bizarrely, I think the Enfield may turn out to be the easiest one.
Like the 400, it'll need to be registered as a historic vehicle via FFVE - https://www.ffve.org/Procedure_obtentio ... arte_grise -
You may need to get the reg doc translated (maybe not, if the relevant numbers make it clear it's for that bike?), but I think it's possible to register bikes from inside or outside the EU as long as you have the reg docs,,,,,,,, and I wouldn't mention it's a later engine unless they ask,,,,,,, icon_whistle
I don't know if the write off bit on the 400 will be a problem, I'd just send the dossier to FFVE and see if they pick it up if it was me.
bon chance
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

Post by 2cvandy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:41 pm

BTW,
have you got a Quitus Fiscale for each of the Hondas yet ?
Available free of charge from your local Hotel des Impots, this certifies there is no VAT payable on bikes from within the EU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Best get them before the end of the month, just in case.
Probably worth checking while you're there what you need for the Enfield regarding import duty, or the lack of ?
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

elv
Great Britain

Post by elv » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:48 am

2cvandy wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:41 pm
BTW,
have you got a Quitus Fiscale for each of the Hondas yet ?
Available free of charge from your local Hotel des Impots, this certifies there is no VAT payable on bikes from within the EU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Best get them before the end of the month, just in case.
Probably worth checking while you're there what you need for the Enfield regarding import duty, or the lack of ?
Haven't got the quitus fiscale yet and I'm not really sure how. They were both private sales so I have receipts, but nothing more than scribbles on paper, sold as seen, seller's sig, my sig, date - that sort of thing. Does it have to be an offical receipt of sale?

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

Post by 2cvandy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:31 am

elv wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:48 am
Haven't got the quitus fiscale yet and I'm not really sure how. They were both private sales so I have receipts, but nothing more than scribbles on paper, sold as seen, seller's sig, my sig, date - that sort of thing. Does it have to be an offical receipt of sale?
Doesn't need to be official receipts, I used a hand written one from a private sale for a Humber I brought over, although if you're at all worried about it being accepted, it's not difficult to find a bike shop logo on-line and produce a suitable piece of paper,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_whistle

But if you have the V5C in your name you I'm not actually sure if you need a receipt anyway, it's already your bike, n'est pas ?

They'll want copies of everything, so I usually take along copies to give to them as well as the originals, seems to improve the mood if they don't have to go off and copy everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quitus fiscale is the first stage in the process though, because you'll need to include a copy of it with the dossier you send to FFVE to get the Attestation.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... roits/F179

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:38 am

I had an interesting discussion with a FFVE rep some years ago about "barn find " bikes, with no papers. He said "if you found it in a french barn its possible, if you found it in an English barn , it isnt. You can read into that what you woant , but that might be an option.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:44 pm

I can only advise a sense of humour (or a smile at least) and perseverance. It's hoop jumping, hang in there. It's all doable. It's not actually all a pain either; my own issue was only the homolagation cert. The quittas fiscal and ANTS were a doddle really.

elv
Great Britain

Post by elv » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:44 pm
I can only advise a sense of humour (or a smile at least) and perseverance. It's hoop jumping, hang in there. It's all doable. It's not actually all a pain either; my own issue was only the homolagation cert. The quittas fiscal and ANTS were a doddle really.
Oh, I've got a sense of humour about this. I also have two boxes of asprin and 12 inkjet cartridges, with my supplier on speed-dial. I'll keep you posted...

elv
Great Britain

Post by elv » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Here's a thing. There is a bike, just like my 750 with a carte grise for sale for 1500 euros. To save yourself from the shower of sh*t that is likely to go down, would you buy it? Wrong end of the country, mind you, but the journey back should be fun...
Yes there are two paths you can go down, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on...