My next project?

Excluding Registering / Importing which has its own section.
DeeNdee
France

My next project?

Post by DeeNdee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi, icon_yo I've been thinking for a while now about trying my hand at a project bike, something like the one below but with higher bars.

So before I start looking for the perfect donor bike (the one above was a CB550), I would like to know if I can actually modify a bike in France. I would keep the engine and main frame standard, but would be changing the tank, seat, probably the sub-frame, exhaust, bars, lights, wheels, shocks...

There are two issues: would it be legal and would I be able to insure it.

I have heard that if it matches the CG then it's OK - is that true? I have also heard that CT tests are possibly coming in for bikes soon - any one know for sure? That could mess things up for a lot of people.

So please some advice from someone who has done this before (in France).

David

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

My next project?

Post by wizzard » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:49 pm

DeeNdee wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:21 pm
Hi, icon_yo I've been thinking for a while now about trying my hand at a project bike, something like the one below but with higher bars.

So before I start looking for the perfect donor bike (the one above was a CB550), I would like to know if I can actually modify a bike in France. I would keep the engine and main frame standard, but would be changing the tank, seat, probably the sub-frame, exhaust, bars, lights, wheels, shocks...

There are two issues: would it be legal and would I be able to insure it.

I have heard that if it matches the CG then it's OK - is that true? I have also heard that CT tests are possibly coming in for bikes soon - any one know for sure? That could mess things up for a lot of people.

So please some advice from someone who has done this before (in France).

David
Ok, having messed about with bikes a fair bit here, my advice would be a) dont cut/modify the frame, and b) make all modifications reversible so if the CT kicks in you can switch it back for the CT.
I've been going to custom shows for the last 12 years + in France and seen scores of heavily modified bikes and cars, but the reality is that they are not properly insured. They take the risk, and most seem to get away with it. Recently I've seen quite few hardtail chops coming up for sale with no CG, at what looks like good prices. They know that will not pass a CT unless the bike was a hardtail originally, so ol WLA Harleys frames with CG have got very expensive. When you register a bike in your name you sign a form stating that the vehicle has not been modified.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

My next project?

Post by 2cvandy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Just wondering,
if my CG says two seats and I swap it to one,,,,,,, can I get the CG altered?
Not really thought about it before tbh, but the Enfield Classic comes new with a detachable pillion seat so you can fit a rack instead, wonder what the CG says?
Obviously, I would never condone modifying a bike in any way,,,,,,,
asking for a friend,,,,,,,,, icon_whistle

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

My next project?

Post by wizzard » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:58 am

I remember going with a friend to the Harley shop- to translate and help him buy a new Sportster. We sorted out the deal for a Superlow with a single seat. My mate wanted to take a pillion, so he asked about a double seat - the dealer said that if he fitted that he would need to alter the CG.
I'm in the same situation as you Andy - single sprung seat on the Harley - cant see it being a problem.

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

My next project?

Post by 2cvandy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:06 am

wizzard wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:58 am
I'm in the same situation as you Andy - single sprung seat on the Harley - cant see it being a problem.
Can't say I'm overly concerned about it tbh,
just wondered, because my insurance application does ask if the bike is as on the CG, and to be fair, nothing else I've altered changes that, but of course the CG says it has two seats.
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

My next project?

Post by 2cvandy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:07 am

wizzard wrote:
. My mate wanted to take a pillion, so he asked about a double seat - the dealer said that if he fitted that he would need to alter the CG.
A pity he didn't explain how,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DeeNdee
France

My next project?

Post by DeeNdee » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 pm

wizzard wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:49 pm
Ok, having messed about with bikes a fair bit here, my advice would be a) dont cut/modify the frame, and b) make all modifications reversible so if the CT kicks in you can switch it back for the CT.
I've been going to custom shows for the last 12 years + in France and seen scores of heavily modified bikes and cars, but the reality is that they are not properly insured. They take the risk, and most seem to get away with it. Recently I've seen quite few hardtail chops coming up for sale with no CG, at what looks like good prices. They know that will not pass a CT unless the bike was a hardtail originally, so ol WLA Harleys frames with CG have got very expensive. When you register a bike in your name you sign a form stating that the vehicle has not been modified.
Thanks for the reply. Taking the bike back to standard every couple of years is not a very appealing situation. I don't feel inclined to start a project under those circumstances. It's a shame we don't have any concrete info on this at the moment.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

My next project?

Post by wizzard » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:03 pm

2cvandy wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:07 am
wizzard wrote:
. My mate wanted to take a pillion, so he asked about a double seat - the dealer said that if he fitted that he would need to alter the CG.
A pity he didn't explain how,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The dealer wasnt happy that my mate wasnt going to order a new seat there and then - I had told him he could get one much cheaper on Leboncoin. I think he was hoping my mate would give in and order a seat from him to save admin problems.

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

My next project?

Post by 2cvandy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:59 pm

DeeNdee wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 pm
Taking the bike back to standard every couple of years is not a very appealing situation.
Last I heard about the bike CT was a proposal that bikes would only require a CT when being sold to a new owner, rather than every couple of years as per a car.
Anybody know anything deffinite?

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

My next project?

Post by wizzard » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:13 pm

2cvandy wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:59 pm
DeeNdee wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 pm
Taking the bike back to standard every couple of years is not a very appealing situation.
Last I heard about the bike CT was a proposal that bikes would only require a CT when being sold to a new owner, rather than every couple of years as per a car.
Anybody know anything deffinite?
With a bit of luck it will be every 5 years for a classic bike, and nothing for a pre 1960.