Homologation attestation with a non 'standard' exhaust

Discussion on Registering / Importing Bikes to France
2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

Post by 2cvandy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:51 am

Good effort, I can only appplaud your persistance.
Good luck with ANTS.
I'm just waiting on a cert from FFVE before I do battle with the system once more myself.

icon_yo

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

divimike
Great Britain

Post by divimike » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:36 pm

Similar problem when I took my Yamaha Diversion to France. Had a Motad exhaust fitted but would not be accepted when checked against the CoC, unless I fitted a Yamaha one. At the time it was worth doing, but as it did not meet the original build spec a Motad exhaust was not acceptable. They also checked wheel and tyre sizes. Did get away with not changing the speedo though so had some cooperation.

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:20 am

Wooooohooooooo!!

At long bloody last - my bike now has a nice new French registration!! :D :D :D :D I can now take my provisional carte grise and get a number plate made up. Not too chuffed with the number itself, I was hoping for something a little more exotic (as some do) mais bon, it's all road legal and I'm chuffed - it's a weight off my mind. Quite frankly, I'd been more worried about this than the carte de sejour (paper work for which has all been submitted and we wait for the yes/no)

It's been a trying process, and it did feel at some stages as if I was fated to not get it done, but we got there in the end. :lol:

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Comparing all this faffing about with moto exhausts, getting the right number etc- with exhausts for cars. Moto's don't yet have a CT but cars do, so do these rules mean you cannot fit a pattern replacement exhaust to a car? I'm not talking a go-faster noisy sporty exhaust, just the usual pattern replacement that isn't an OEM part?
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

GuzziGraham
England

Post by GuzziGraham » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:18 pm

FrancisBarnett wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 pm
Comparing all this faffing about with moto exhausts, getting the right number etc- with exhausts for cars. Moto's don't yet have a CT but cars do, so do these rules mean you cannot fit a pattern replacement exhaust to a car? I'm not talking a go-faster noisy sporty exhaust, just the usual pattern replacement that isn't an OEM part?
Well my 2000 New Beetle failed its CT on emissions so I took it to one of those Quick Fit type places for a estimate. Nearly fainted when I got the estimate of over €1,900. What’s that all about or something simular in franglais I said. Their reply was we can only use genuine type approved parts. I checked and was told pre 2002 model year Beetle catalytic converters do not need to be type approved, just the emissions readings need to be ok. Thing is mine is shown as registered in France in 2004. Also I would need the whole exhaust to go with it, again genuine VW parts. So it may be the same situation for car exhausts.? Do they check the markings for the CT ?? Anybody had a similar experience?
I am tempted to get the parts off eBay and fit it myself - but would need a 4 post lift. The whole lot including 2 new lambda sensors from Poland is only abut £400 delivered, but they are Bosal parts & not marked with VW Audi numbers. Even so that’s a hell of a mark up just to fit it and even then it might not be accepted on a retest.

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 pm

It crossed my mind that it might be a bit of a ruse by the manufacturers (Honda etc) - though maybe ruse is a bit of a strong word.

It just seems to me to make a mockery of the e numbers. I thought those numbers indicated European approval. I mean, you can legally refit that European approved after market part (once you've got the attestation) no? So does it matter to the state that it's a manufacturer approved part? Or is their concern only that it's an industry/state approved/conforming one?

Thing is, we have to get the attestation from the manufacturer so they are calling the shots. You need that bit of paper from them and they can 'make up' whatever conditions they like. All they're doing is matching against a list of numbers after all - why can't that list include all approved parts? Seems ludicrous to me that countless folk have to return their cars/bikes to stock when there's nothing wrong, unsafe nor illegal (well, not always!) about the parts they have fitted.