No deal, 90 day rule.

The place to share what you've learnt or ask for advice from others
ChrisD
France

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by ChrisD » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:20 am

Without wishing to rekindle the Brexit debate which got too acrimonious I feel this subject should be appraised. It seems that if we get a no deal it could be a minefield for people living here unless they get a carte de sejour but also for people with maison de vacances because they will now be subject to the 90 day rule which an Australian friend has to abide with (and they are very strict with it). Add to that the necessity for International driving licences and green Cards (again), the future is not bright for visitors to France.
For clarification, the 90 day rule as I see it applies to the EU so if you have your 90 days in France you can't then visit spain or wherever for 180 days.

Informed comments and questions are welcomed as this is a situation which we will all be dealing with, whether UK or French based.

For the record, my wife has just had pneumonia so we are going back to the UK for 6 months as we feel our woodburner would not be conducive to her recovery. By next March brexit should be finalised which will have a major impact on our decision to stay in the UK or return. I hope for the latter but quién sabe as Tonto said.

UTC

Jamstealer
France

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:11 am

Yes that is correct. If you are not a permanent resident, you may only stay in the Schengen zone for 90 days. After which you must leave and not return again within 90 days. That means leave the entire schengen area. So you can’t bounce between France and Spain.
Whether EU ( or France) will set up a long stay visa system for second home owners is not clear yet. Long stays are possible but normally under a work visa.
It’s also unclear, if you live permanently in Frsnce, ( even when you have a Carte de Séjour) whether, as a non-EU citizen, you will be able to go to another Schengen country for more than 90 days.

ShovelHead
Great Britain

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by ShovelHead » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:26 am

HI
i have read somewhere that after brexit the new carte de sejour instead of the wording the right or adroit it will be worded permis
or permission ,there are a lot of rumors flying about.we will just have to weather the storm.as WINSTON CHURCHILL said
stay calm

papasmurf
Great Britain

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by papasmurf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:55 am

I have just had to find holiday/repatriation cover for any future holidays in Britain because it had been covered for decades by my home insurance.
It no longer is covered when the renewal documents arrived and their can only be one reason the insurance company expects Brexit to go tits up.
Beyond that I suspect money transfers between France/Britain AND Britain/France will get expensive with no passported transactions.
I will also have to make a long trip to Penzance next February to get my wife and I international driving permits.
I really do suggest people cover their backsides for all possible problems coma a hard Brexit, no customs union and no passported financial transactions.

SteveWalsh
France

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by SteveWalsh » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:59 am

The morons that voted for Brexit are to blame for all this along the bitch May, They dont realise what they started and the possible consequences

papasmurf
Great Britain

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by papasmurf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 am

SteveWalsh wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:59 am
The morons that voted for Brexit are to blame for all this along the bitch May, They dont realise what they started and the possible consequences
I would not be so insulting personally. There is a difference between being fools and being fooled. I am in no doubt a lot of people were fooled.

GuzziGraham
England

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by GuzziGraham » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am

As ChrisD said in his opening post, and covered by British TV yesterday evening as a result of a cabinet meeting earlier, we may well be in the same position as Australia and classed as 3rd country citizens for entry.

An Australian friend who is married to a French woman who still holds her French passport and has a family home in France has to prove he has a not inconsiderable amount deposited in a French bank account and also have very comprehensive medical insurance before he is allowed into France for 90 days. Also they do enforce the 90 day rule strictly. 3 years ago he stayed for 101 days as he mistakenly thought a 2 week visit to Switzerland would not count as he was in France for less than the 90 days. Both he and his wife are over 65 but he was still very positively told he would not be allowed back into France for 365 days.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by wizzard » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am

ChrisD wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:20 am
Without wishing to rekindle the Brexit debate which got too acrimonious I feel this subject should be appraised. It seems that if we get a no deal it could be a minefield for people living here unless they get a carte de sejour but also for people with maison de vacances because they will now be subject to the 90 day rule which an Australian friend has to abide with (and they are very strict with it). Add to that the necessity for International driving licences and green Cards (again), the future is not bright for visitors to France.
For clarification, the 90 day rule as I see it applies to the EU so if you have your 90 days in France you can't then visit spain or wherever for 180 days.

Informed comments and questions are welcomed as this is a situation which we will all be dealing with, whether UK or French based.

For the record, my wife has just had pneumonia so we are going back to the UK for 6 months as we feel our woodburner would not be conducive to her recovery. By next March brexit should be finalised which will have a major impact on our decision to stay in the UK or return. I hope for the latter but quién sabe as Tonto said.
Sorry to hear about your wife's illness Chris, and that you are having to go back to the uk for a while. A friend of mine had a very serious lung disease and was told that the woodburner was a problem. He fitted a pellet burner, which did not aggravate his lungs at all. If you are passing before you go back pop in and I'll show you the pellet burner I had fitted when I came out of the hospital - much cleaner, virtually dust free, and easier to keep topped up.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

dwl
Great Britain

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by dwl » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:34 am

papasmurf wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 am
SteveWalsh wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:59 am
I would not be so insulting personally. There is a difference between being fools and being fooled. I am in no doubt a lot of people were fooled.
They were indeed and still are being fooled.

Corbyn has said today that Labour will support a "people's vote" if the members vote for it. If there is one expect the Sun et al to go into overdrive.

Cornishman
France

No deal, 90 day rule.

Post by Cornishman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Like so much else at the moment there is no point in speculating, only time will tell. I’ve given up trying to work out what’s going on up at the sharp end presume politicians are privy to a completely different set of economic forecasts than the general public gets to see. Nothing else makes sense, why else are they fighting with each other over the right to lead a once proud nation in the direction its heading.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.