The place to share what you've learnt or ask for advice from others
Dieselspanner
Donator
Donator
France

Running on veg oil

Post by Dieselspanner » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi All

After 10 months or so I've finally got my Series 3 Landy running right. At the moment it's on 50% filtered chip oil, I see no reason not to go to 100% whilst the weather is this warm, only one thing disturbs me, how legal is it, any one have any idea?

I believe it's ok in the UK, provided you burn no more than 2500 liters a year (how they tell I can't imagine) At the moment I'm on UK plates, the FFVE have had the documents since half past April, so I could maybe claim some sort of immunity, given a friendly plod and a whole lot of innocent 'Franglaise' (not that I'd bet the farm on it) but when the docs do turn up I'll switch straight away.

Cheers Stef

Jamstealer
France

Running on veg oil

Post by Jamstealer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:12 pm

currently still illegal in France, except for certain agricultural vehicles and official vehicles which may be given a licence by the prefecture. May change soon. There are enterprises in francevtsking old cooking oil and converting it to legal bio diesel
http://lautonomieauquotidien.fr/huile-v ... carburant/ See paragraph 6. It seems you don’t get heavily fined, though . I used to run my Series3 on oil from the local Chinese. The exhaust smelled of Chinese too!
In U.K. A few of us got together and got the gear for converting the oil to proper bio diesel. Wasn’t difficult; and was legal by declaring it each month to HMRC on a spreadsheet. Tax free until you used more than ( I think) 500 litres a month, after which you paid 59p a litre tax.

ChrisD
France

Running on veg oil

Post by ChrisD » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:27 pm

What are the emissions like compared to diesel?

ps. stef, you'll have to change your user, chipoilspanner?
UTC