A ride out in Majorca.

Tell us about your routes, places you visited, and maybe show us some pics !
divimike
Great Britain

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by divimike » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 pm

I said I would give a report on our visit to Majorca, so here goes.
Departed from home on 1st June for an hotel near Aurons, as then a reduced distance journey down to Toulon on the 2nd for the evening ferry. Departure 8pm. 325kms.
Crossing smooth, with an early – 5.30 – call for breakfast. Off at 6.30 into a cloudy morning; much better than the storms that had been forecast. Found an open café just outside the port for our breakfast, missed out on the boat offering. First destination was the Formentor headland,
on the northern tip of the island. Really enjoyable road, and at that time of day very little traffic so able to reach the car park and enjoy the views.
Went off to locate the hotel in Port de Pollença, and managed to book in about 11, just as the forecast storms arrived. There was “secure” parking for the bike at the rear of the hotel. It had a barrier across the entrance which you could ride around and the barrier went up for any vehicle leaving. Not that secure! It was not covered either so bike got a free wash! Spent the rest of the day walking around the town, studying eating places, and trying to keep dry. 85kms.
Next day headed out along the northern coast on the Ma-10 road. Would recommend this to all bikers. Just watch out for the many cyclists and occasional tourist buses! Took the major twisty down into Port de Soller. Image
OK going down but several of those buses on the way up caused some tight manouvering.
Continued on the MA-10 all the way to Andratx.
Back via Palma which we would not recommend – just like any other traffic jammed city. 214kms.
Day three headed south to Arta and the Bronze Age site at Ses Païsses.
We have a sad pastime of visiting “old stone” sites. This one was from 2000 BC and came with plenty of info from the entrance office. Could we say better than just lying by a swimming pool! Then on to Capdepera for a view at some more “old stones” in the form of a castle.
Well preserved and a good climb in our kit but worth the effort. Next down to Porto Christo before riding back through the centre of the island; Manacor, Petra, Muro, Port d’Alcudia and the hotel. Many hillside villages surrounded by terraces and ancient olive trees.
Image Image
182kms.
Day 4 we took to the Ma-10 again
as far as Lluc, but decided to give the monastery a miss, more buses than cars parked! Took the Ma-2130 south, which proved even twistier in some places than the Ma-10.
Out of Selva on the Ma-2114, then Biniamar and Lloseta. The Ma-2100 to Bunyola and a stop at a small café to watch the passers by. Took the Ma-11 north through a 3 km tunnel that the satnav said had a toll, but it had been removed so straight through to enjoy some cool air. Google maps shows the toll booths as well so must have only recently been removed. This took us back to the Ma-10 at Soller
Image Image
and then took that all the way back to the hotel. 146kms.
So final day and not needed at the boat until 5 so lazy start and a late breakfast, packed the bike and cleared the hotel. Headed up to Formentor for a revisit, but being later than before the road was very busy and the car park started 500 mtrs from the end of the road.
So turned round and headed down to the peninsular on the other side of the bay. It shows a road goes to the end but after about 15 kms it is closed. Not sure why as no sign other than “closed”. Headed into Port d’Alcudia for a late lunch at a harbour side café. Onto boat at 6 for 7 departure. 65kms.
7.30 arrival in Toulon, followed by a 306kms ride home. So would we recommend Majorca? Yes, but not for much longer than the five days we had. The roads in the north are great, and some to the south east. There is history if that interests you, and sandy beaches if that is your thing. People very friendly, prices better than France: 95 fuel about €1.40/litre. Most toursists where we were, were English, although we met German, Swiss, Belgium, French, Spanish and Russian bikers. There could have been some English on hired bikes but none to talk to. The trip was arranged through a bike tour company based in France, called Twintours, web site Twintours, and no we are not on commission......

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by Dragon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks for that, looks like you had a good time. some stunning scenery by the looks of it, nice one, icon_thumbup icon_thumbup
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,

Cornishman
France

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by Cornishman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:26 pm

It sounds as though you had a good trip. :) I can’t comment on the scenery as I can’t see any of the photos on my iPad. :(
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

ChrisD
France

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by ChrisD » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Good report and pics Mike, thanks for making the effort. I used to ride on Crete, plenty of old stone sites to see there.
UTC

Stella
France

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by Stella » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks for the report and pics - Majorca is on my list. Love an old stone or two :D
Mountains are for riding up and skiing down!

Cornishman
France

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by Cornishman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Interesting, the penultimate photo has now appeared. :) The others are still telling me that I am not authorised to view them. :(
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Giscard
Donator
Donator
England

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by Giscard » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Interesting, the penultimate photo has now appeared. :) The others are still telling me that I am not authorised to view them. :(
Perhaps it thinks you are under 18. :lol:

Cornishman
France

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by Cornishman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Perhaps I am.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by wizzard » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks for the great photos, and showing bits of majorica I've never seen. I travelled around on a hired traillie while on my honeymoon there on the early 80s - I think the roads must have improved a lot since then!
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

yorkie
Donator
Donator
Great Britain

A ride out in Majorca.

Post by yorkie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:52 am

Thanks for sharing your experience and giving some helpful advice.