Another bike

Excluding Registering / Importing which has its own section.
Hippy
France

Another bike

Post by Hippy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:12 am

Looking for a bit of advice/ help, wife is selling her Virago 535, (not enough power) has got a replacement bike, Virago 750 but feels its too heavy and cumbersome (has enough power, also sell)
So she would like a lightweight, low/med seat height bike, with not a sport oriented riding position.

Any ideas what I should be looking for?
gonna start at the local shops and bon coin.
Budget around 4k euros

Cheers

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Another bike

Post by wizzard » Sat May 26, 2018 10:47 am

Hippy wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:12 am
Looking for a bit of advice/ help, wife is selling her Virago 535, (not enough power) has got a replacement bike, Virago 750 but feels its too heavy and cumbersome (has enough power, also sell)
So she would like a lightweight, low/med seat height bike, with not a sport oriented riding position.

gonna start at the local shops and bon coin.
Budget around 4k euros

Cheers
When my OH moved to France 2.5 years ago I built her a custom Harley Sportster (lighter , lower etc) but she found it to be too heavy and intimidating. That was sold and a Virago 535 bought and bobbered, lightened and lowered, and she loves it. Kawasaki did a custom - EN 500 possibly - which had a detuned version of the GPZ 500 engine. I've got the GPZ 500 and its a flyer. My mate had the EN500 - and he said it was quite quick and he's a big lad, so worth a look. His one came with low kms, a small dent in the tank, for 850 euros I think. A real bargain, but they are not expensive. Has your wife tried the Dragstar 650?
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Another bike

Post by Jamba » Sat May 26, 2018 10:41 pm

Hippy wrote:
Kawasaki W650 Image

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Another bike

Post by Jamba » Sat May 26, 2018 10:45 pm

Hippy wrote:
Kawasaki W650
kw650.jpg

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Another bike

Post by Jamba » Sat May 26, 2018 10:47 pm

Odd.
Sorry about the dupes but everytime I pressed submit, it gave me:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 1541: stream_socket_enable_crypto(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 1836: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3268)

Hippy
France

Another bike

Post by Hippy » Sun May 27, 2018 8:24 am

"When my OH moved to France 2.5 years ago I built her a custom Harley Sportster (lighter , lower etc) but she found it to be too heavy and intimidating. That was sold and a Virago 535 bought and bobbered, lightened and lowered, and she loves it. Kawasaki did a custom - EN 500 possibly - which had a detuned version of the GPZ 500 engine. I've got the GPZ 500 and its a flyer. My mate had the EN500 - and he said it was quite quick and he's a big lad, so worth a look. His one came with low kms, a small dent in the tank, for 850 euros I think. A real bargain, but they are not expensive. Has your wife tried the Dragstar 650?"

Thanks, EN 500 was one of my/her possibles. Not sure about the Dragstar 650 though, heavy? again, but also trying to get away from cruiser style if poss

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Another bike

Post by wizzard » Sun May 27, 2018 8:29 am

Hippy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:24 am
"When my OH moved to France 2.5 years ago I built her a custom Harley Sportster (lighter , lower etc) but she found it to be too heavy and intimidating. That was sold and a Virago 535 bought and bobbered, lightened and lowered, and she loves it. Kawasaki did a custom - EN 500 possibly - which had a detuned version of the GPZ 500 engine. I've got the GPZ 500 and its a flyer. My mate had the EN500 - and he said it was quite quick and he's a big lad, so worth a look. His one came with low kms, a small dent in the tank, for 850 euros I think. A real bargain, but they are not expensive. Has your wife tried the Dragstar 650?"

Thanks, EN 500 was one of my/her possibles. Not sure about the Dragstar 650 though, heavy? again, but also trying to get away from cruiser style if poss
My OH likes the cruiser style as she is quite short and likes a low seat so that her feet can sit solidly on the ground.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Hippy
France

Another bike

Post by Hippy » Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 am

Jamba wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:43 pm
Hippy wrote:
Kawasaki W650 Image
Looking better but have just read this ; The Kawasaki W650's parallel twin is a real softy, borderline weakling. Claimed 49bhp is barely enough anywhere other than in town or bopping gently down those sunny memory-lanes – the firms own budget, 500cc twin, the ER-5 manages more. Fine if you’re not after life in the fast (or even middle) lane.

Might be the same as the 535, but worth a test ride (if I can get one)

Stella
France

Another bike

Post by Stella » Sun May 27, 2018 11:05 am

I've had a Yam MT07 for a couple of years as a replacement for the taller and heavier FZ6n. I'm not tall (5'4") and can almost flat foot on the bike.
It is plenty quick enough for me - OH has the MT09 and although faster on the flat I keep up on the twisties (and can almost flat foot on his bike too :lol: )
I love it - the riding position is very comfortable (although the seat is not) and given that I have RA which gives me wrist, hand and ankle pain that is important. I happily spend all day on it :D The gear box is as smooth as you like and I have no worries with the brakes, something that has been criticized. Overtakes are fine, although given that it is mostly tractors, bicycles and campervans around here ...
We tend to ride in the mountains most of the time, so something light and stable was what I wanted, and although common and probably a bit dull the bike works for me!
Mountains are for riding up and skiing down!

Hippy
France

Another bike

Post by Hippy » Sun May 27, 2018 10:20 pm

Stella wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:05 am
I've had a Yam MT07 for a couple of years as a replacement for the taller and heavier FZ6n. I'm not tall (5'4") and can almost flat foot on the bike.
It is plenty quick enough for me - OH has the MT09 and although faster on the flat I keep up on the twisties (and can almost flat foot on his bike too :lol: )
I love it - the riding position is very comfortable (although the seat is not) and given that I have RA which gives me wrist, hand and ankle pain that is important. I happily spend all day on it :D The gear box is as smooth as you like and I have no worries with the brakes, something that has been criticized. Overtakes are fine, although given that it is mostly tractors, bicycles and campervans around here ...
We tend to ride in the mountains most of the time, so something light and stable was what I wanted, and although common and probably a bit dull the bike works for me!
It does look an awesome bike, top of the budget, has anyone tried the MT03? which seems to be popular in France.