Buying a New Bike

Excluding Registering / Importing which has its own section.
Lebowski
France

Buying a New Bike

Post by Lebowski » Fri May 11, 2018 7:09 am

When you buy a new bike here in France, when do you actually pay for the bike? On the day you collect it, or do you pay for it and then wait while they get it all sorted for you?

Buying a new moto and it seems they don't lift a finger until they have my money, despite me giving them a deposit. Seems a bit one sided, or is it another case of, 'This is France'?

yorkie
Donator
Donator
Great Britain

Buying a New Bike

Post by yorkie » Fri May 11, 2018 7:35 am

Decided to change our car. First place barely bothered to stop reading his paper as the car I was interested in was in another site. Second was not helpful over the "Prime a la conversion" told us we had to sort it out. Spent an hour at another dealers, she took all the info about the car I wanted, copy of tax return, Carte etc for the prime. Told her we were cash buyers. Sent more details as she asked them. After that, nothing. Hastened her twice by email. This was a Ford main dealers. Three months later, still not a word. Needless to say we went else where.

Yes this is France!

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Buying a New Bike

Post by wizzard » Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 am

Knew of a woman who went to see about a 2nd hand car at a smallish garage. Chose the car, agreed the price with the salesman, then said she wanted to think about it for a couple of days. Went back with the cash, but couldnt find anyone around the garage - eventually an old guy appeared. Said his son (the salesman) was on 2 weeks holiday - he wouldnt take the cash, lost the sale and didnt appear to care.
I bought a new Ford in 2006 - I gave the salesman a hard time on price and extras, but he came up with the goods bang on time - after sales was crap. They gave me a great price on my UK reg Beetle (LHD). In 2014 went to look at a new Renault at about 11.30 am - main dealer - but no-one was interested in talking to me as it was so close to lunchtime. Ending up buying a Dacia from a diffferent dealer, but had to wait a long time on the car.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

papasmurf
Great Britain

Buying a New Bike

Post by papasmurf » Fri May 11, 2018 9:51 am

Seems French car dealers are like British ones.

Cornishman
France

Buying a New Bike

Post by Cornishman » Fri May 11, 2018 10:27 am

I’ve not bought a car but I’ve bought a few other reasonably expensive things and have often had to wait an unbelievably long time before they actually asked me to pay for the goods that I had already received. The two most recent were an e-bike and a poele. I’m still waiting to pay for the latter over a month after it was installed in my house.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Lebowski
France

Buying a New Bike

Post by Lebowski » Fri May 11, 2018 4:52 pm

It seems that at this dealer they are charged immediately by the manufacturer when they allocate a bike to a person, which they have to do to register it here.

After a show of unhappiness on my part, they agreed that I could have the bike on the day the cheque clears.

Something else I didn't know was that to set up an electronic payment with CA Britline takes a week to ten days! What you can do in seconds in the UK, just isn't possible here..... Surely the technology is here, so why don't they offer it?

Cornishman
France

Buying a New Bike

Post by Cornishman » Fri May 11, 2018 5:17 pm

I can do it easily through my French bank, sounds more like a problem with Britline than with France in general.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Buying a New Bike

Post by wizzard » Fri May 11, 2018 6:09 pm

I had a problem with one of these money transfer companies when I was buying the new car - they would not transfer direct to the garage so I just used my normal scottish bank. More expensive in the long run, but they did what I wanted, when I wanted.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Lebowski
France

Buying a New Bike

Post by Lebowski » Fri May 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:17 pm
I can do it easily through my French bank, sounds more like a problem with Britline than with France in general.
Yep, think I need to have another word with them. Perhaps the guy I spoke to had it wrong...... I set up the shop as an online payee, so what the hell is the difference? Although today when I offered to try paying the shop online or with a cheque, they didn't want to know about doing it online.

I will check again with CA and post the outcome here

Giscard
Donator
Donator
England

Buying a New Bike

Post by Giscard » Fri May 11, 2018 7:28 pm

I have to smile at some of the experiences people have had with garages. I took my Land Rover for service and MOT in the UK yesterday. As I arrived at the drive through service reception area, I was welcomed and the keys were taken from me and the car driven to be serviced. I sat down with the service staff who got me a cup of coffee whilst taking all the details of the work that I wanted done. There was a note on the service ladies computer that one of the sales staff wanted to see me. Within 5 minutes I was talking to the sales rep who gave me a price for my car and went through my options regarding buying a new car. All useful information which I told him I may consider at the MOT next year. When I picked my car up it had had a complementary valet, inside and out. Great service from people who seem to value my custom.