Get sacked if you commit a traffic offense in a company vehicle?

This forum is for members to post IMPORTANT news items and announcements.
Forum rules
This forum is for members to place important news and announcements. General interest or Bike related chat should please be posted in their relevant sections.
FrancisBarnett
France

Get sacked if you commit a traffic offense in a company vehicle?

Post by FrancisBarnett » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:07 am

I've just spotted this in France Ouest online newspaper.

http://www.ouest-france.fr/economie/gaz ... re-4587495

"Du changement également du côté du code de la route. Tout employeur est désormais tenu de dénoncer un salarié qui commet une infraction routière avec un véhicule de société."

Which I think means:-

"Change also the side of the highway code. Every employer is now required to terminate an employee who commits a traffic offense with a company car.

Is this for real?

Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Jamstealer
France

Re: Get sacked if you commit a traffic offense in a company vehicle?

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:15 am

No;
It means that if an employee commits a traffic offence using a company vehicle, the company is now required by law to identify the driver to the authorities. (" denounce " them)
Previously they were not required to; so when the amende came into the owner of the vehicle ( eg for speeding), the company did not have to say who was driving; the fine would be paid, but no points would go onto anyone's license as the individual driver was not identified.
It's s loophole that has been closed ( people would register a vehicle to their company and never get points for offenses on their license)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:23 am

When the compulsory seat belt rule came into being I , and my colleagues, was using my own car for company business. The local paper started printing a list of people prosecuted for not wearing belts each week - we were told that if our name appeared we were bringing the company into disrepute if named, and classed as a disciplinary offense.

With the info available via electronics nowadays an employer could review whether a vehicle has been speeding .............technically possible anyway, and look where that could lead. :?

I remember in 1990 all the company cars in my division of the Bank were registered to one individual , who got fed up with the constant stream of tickets flooding in.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:40 am

Using a dictionary it comes out as " bound to declare an employee" - google translate bo**ox again-sorry

When I had company cars the Company Secretary was responsible for administering them. Because of the vast amount of damage and accidents by the staff to company cars he really got on his hind legs about it, threatened all sorts of things, paying for damage etc. No really serious accidents - just everyday minor collisions etc.

Then he had a big-time accident in his company car on the northbound off slip road at junction 11 M1 - rolled it and hit the concrete embankment and other cars.

Never heard any more about the staff having accidents after that!
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:43 am

wizzard wrote: With the info available via electronics nowadays an employer could review whether a vehicle has been speeding .............technically possible anyway, and look where that could lead. :?
Well haulage companies do, by law, anyway, ( tachographs).
Many private companies are putting GPS and speed trackers on their vehicles ( in UK and here:)

1.For reasons of social responsibility ( ensuring that their employees obey the laws).
2. For theft/ security reasons.
3. For fleet management purposes.
3. For insurance reasons; some company Vehicles are only insured when on " company business". If it is off route, or being used for private purposes out of working hours, ( without permission) the insurance may be invalidated.
Vehicle tracking is becoming the norm now for many medium and small sized companies, not just the large ones. There are loads of companies that will provide the vehicle tracking facility to you on a subscription basis.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:59 am

When my brother was senior in council building services he had trackers fitted to all the vans, without the teams knowing. He then could tell that they went to a certain bookies on a Friday afternoon, or a certain pub, instead of being on the job. If I remember correctly they all got warnings, but some complained to the union about being spied upon - doh - unbelievable. :shock:

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:14 am

In UK it is ( now) the law that employers must make employees aware of the trackers.
( that's only fair, really).
Some companies ( if it's agreed with insurers), who allow people to use their work vans/cars privately , can "switch off" the trackers if they wish. Of course, the tracker helps if the company's vehicle is stolen, too

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:49 am

It was some years ago that my brother's council fitted the trackers, and because they hadnt told the employees that they were there, they couldnt take disciplinary action. Management did get to find out all their usual skive haunts though - I'm really glad they didnt have trackers when I worked for the water board in the early 70s, as EVERYONE was skiving, going to the pub,etc.