Puncture repair kit

This section is for all things bike technical. ( mechanical;electrical;modifications etc)
FrancisBarnett
France

Puncture repair kit

Post by FrancisBarnett » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 pm

wizzard wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:06 pm
SimonW wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:58 pm
I carry a plug kit and 3 CO2 cannisters on the (tubeless) BMW, and one of those squirty-cans when I'm out on the (tubed) enduro. I also have breakdown cover, as I don't have much confidence in the repair solutions. I like the idea of a mini-compressor for longer trips ... any recommendations ?
I dont think you are meant to use a squirty can on a tubed tyre. A garage used one to repair the tubed tyre on my Harley once and the tyre nearly came off the rim a few km later.
That stuff works ok on my wheelbarrows and mowers..........!

Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Jamstealer
France

Puncture repair kit

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 pm

The goo works reasonably well for a “ get you out of trouble “ fix for a tubeless tyre, as long as the hole is not too big. Personally I have used the “sticky string” stuff a few times.
Re tubed tyres; a Michelin researcher told us ( when we were doing research into puncture repair and prevention for military vehicles) that goo should never be used in tubes in any circumstance at all; whatever any of the manufacturers say; the tubes are too thin to not flex, and the tube moves inside the tyre; so the “ repair “ breaks down very quickly; you can use it on bicycles reasonably safely, but not on a motor vehicle, with the flexes and torques. His advice was that it was extremely dangerous; you could end up with a catastrophic blowout. Perhaps it would get you to somewhere safe for a distance of about 10km Max , at about 15kph.

Andrew
New Zealand

Puncture repair kit

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 am

FrancisBarnett wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:20 pm
My old BMW R1100S comes with a genuine BMW tyre puncture repair kit, complete with CO2 inflation, the reaming and insertion tools and the tyre plugs are sort of doughnut shape if that makes sense. I've had the loan of a kit to repair a puncture years ago and they work well.
I have the exact same kit, minus one 'donut shaped' plug. There's also a short, black plastic handled blade (for cutting the plug flush after insertion) that I think I spy in the box under the glue and valve extender. I don't remember where I got it from but didn't realise it was a BMW one.

The shape of the plug is kind of strange, and certainly not common. I don't have any instructions with it now (if I ever did) but recall that you kind of twist the plug around the insertion tool. Tbh, looking at it now, I'm not sure how it could work.

Edit: a bit of web searching suggests that mine is a REMA kit and probably bought from Heine Gerricke (back in the day) It looks identical to the BMW one.

FrancisBarnett
France

Puncture repair kit

Post by FrancisBarnett » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 pm

When I had the puncture I borrowed the whole kit off of a mate I was riding with and just bought him another kit to replace it from a BMW dealer, Unlike almost everything else for sale at a a BMW dealer if I remember correctly it was only about 15 quid.
Another time I had a puncture I was riding with some mates and one of them was the manager of a National tyres depot. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a handful of big countersunk self-tappers and tube of repair glue. We found the hole in the tyre, smeared repair glue on a self tapper, screwed it into the tyre below flush with the tread, borrowed yet another little CO2 capsule, blew the tyre up about 50% with the one capsule. limped to a garage, blew the tyre up to pressure and it got me home 150 miles - slowly!
Interesting that Jammy mentioned the string repair system, not very popular or well known this side of the pond,it works well according to a lot of USA forums I belong to where they accustomed to riding 500 miles a day on not very good roads in some places.
I don't need to carry a puncture repair outfit as the FJR tyres have been treated with Punctureseal gel.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.