Using solar panels to maintain battery

This section is for all things bike technical. ( mechanical;electrical;modifications etc)
coeurdelion
France

Post by coeurdelion » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi,not my strong point ,I have two 15 watt solar panels that I want to set up to maintain two 12 volt batteries over winter,anyone got any advice as to what sort of charge regulator i need to stop them over charging,too many to choose on ebay and I end up in a fog,also don't want the regulators to cost more than a trickle charger.coeurdelion

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:45 pm

coeurdelion wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:24 pm
Hi,not my strong point ,I have two 15 watt solar panels that I want to set up to maintain two 12 volt batteries over winter,anyone got any advice as to what sort of charge regulator i need to stop them over charging,too many to choose on ebay and I end up in a fog,also don't want the regulators to cost more than a trickle charger.coeurdelion
This or something like it looks like the tool for the job, plus it has usb charging outlets as well:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CTY6YZO/ ... 9572667851

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Post by wizzard » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 pm

I had a small solar charger made up for me in Portugal for my camper engine battery. I think it cost about 25 euros.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

coeurdelion
France

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks for the reply papasmurf and wizzard,seen those on eBay ,going to read up on them first as you can buy a cheap smart trickle charger for the same price ,wish I wasn't a tight yorkshireman !!!!!!! coeurdelion

frankinwales
France

Post by frankinwales » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:23 am

Good morning......

I too have a 15 watt solar panel connected to the battery of the camping car..........I got it because the C.C. has not been used over the last 2 years due to illness, and the battery on the Ducato is big and heavy and right at the back of the engine bay, it was very awkward to get out to recharge it when flat.

This little solar panel has indeed worked well to keep a trickle charge going into the battery which I then try to supplement every now and then by taking the van out , I bought the little control box with the panel as advised by other Amazon buyers.........I am very happy with how it has worked out.....

All the best everyone.

Regards.........Frank

coeurdelion
France

Post by coeurdelion » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:06 am

Thanks for the reply Frank,looks like that's the way to go,tested the panels and in normal Sun they push out 18 volts,my mate who gave me them had wired them both together through a 7amp charge thing supplied by the same company and the battery I tried was fizzing in 20 minutes and up from 10.76 volts to 13.55!!!!! ,great for a quick boost but no good for a winter trickle.Hope you feel better soon and get the campervan out and about,still a load around where I live but France has a lot of free campervan places in villages ,makes sense as you will go to the local shops and eat in the restaurants whilst parked up.couerdelion

frankinwales
France

Post by frankinwales » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:06 am

Thank you coeurdelion...............The camper car makes a lot of sense in France, many opportunities for free camping in nice places, you even feel welcome in the camper car by the communes over here..Many go out of their way to welcome you ,to bring you into their areas. To encourage you spending a bit of Euro money there with them.

Dieselspanner
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Dieselspanner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 am

If all you want is a minimal charge to keep things alive just connect your charger to the battery as normal and then power it through a cheap (Lidl's?) digital timer to come on for 15 minutes a day.

If that's not enough, after a month or so up it, if it's a bit much, drop it.

I'm all for cheap!

Cheers
Stef

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:13 am

On solar chargers, and it is going back a bit, I'd never really found them to be much cop. I used to cycle tour/camp and experimented with a couple of smaller solar chargers without much satisfaction. Technology has come on leaps and bounds though (just witness the size and life of mobile phone batteries!) and I read quite impressive reviews of them these days.... not that I now have much use for them!

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:08 pm

The technology is certainly improving. I use a solar charged battery to recharge my phone when I’m away from home. It works really well. I’m going to get one of those controllers to keep the battery on my boat topped up. I’ve got a couple of panels so it silly not to do so.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.