New toy

SimonW
Donator
Donator
France

New toy

Post by SimonW » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:19 pm

So ... I finally took the plunge and bought myself a new toy for playing in the garrigue that sits on my back doorstep !
DSC_0591.JPG
I'm a relative beginner at this lark, and I'll need lots of practice before I build any real confidence, but it's an awesome little bike - far better than me, anyway!

If there are any other off-roaders in or near dept 30 that would like to come and play, let me know ...

Simon

ChrisD
France

New toy

Post by ChrisD » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:36 am

Nice looking bike. Not sure if we have any greenlaners so far south, most seem to be around Nouvelle Acquitaine but good luck in finding someone. You could try googling for a local club.
UTC

SimonW
Donator
Donator
France

New toy

Post by SimonW » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:13 pm

I am putting out feelers locally, but most of the locals I've come across so far seem to be crazy, full-on MX or extreme enduro types, and I'm not fit enough / brave enough / bouncy enough to cope with that ! I'm more of your TRF type.

Lebowski
France

New toy

Post by Lebowski » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi......I'm in a similar situation, bought a 350EXC this year and I know if I try an enduro, I will hurt myself.....

There's a few randonnees around the south west which I might try if I can find an easier one. Not sure if this site covers your area, but might be worth a look?

http://www.randoendurosudouest.com

Pick an event and then hunt youtube to see if it's too extreme! Although my logic says, go to one, wait until everyone else has left and then have a poodle along at the back....

Other than that it seems it's a case of grabbing a map or sat nav and exploring locally. Gets a bit dodgy if you have an off though....

I think there used to be a few rides organised on here a while back, perhaps we should organise another? Something easy for us newbs.....?

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

New toy

Post by Jamba » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Randon.jpg
Lebowski wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:39 pm
Although my logic says, go to one, wait until everyone else has left and then have a poodle along at the back....
That's not how it works. The first rider at a junction/fork, stops to show the route to the rest and tags on at the back, the marshals having ridden on to the next junction. That rider has to wait for everyone to pass, up until the tail marshal arrives, so all are accounted for.
Good fun. Not been on one for some years. It was -10c at the start and had been down to -22c for a couple of weeks before that so the ground was like iron.

Dangerous to ride the trails alone.

Cornishman
France

New toy

Post by Cornishman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Lebowski wrote:

I think there used to be a few rides organised on here a while back, perhaps we should organise another? Something easy for us newbs.....?
Very easy, just start a thread stating what you’re planning to do and see if anyone takes the bait. Unfortunately for this site, Facebook seems to be the preferred way to arrange these activities these days.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

SimonW
Donator
Donator
France

New toy

Post by SimonW » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Jamba wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm
That's not how it works. The first rider at a junction/fork, stops to show the route to the rest and tags on at the back, the marshals having ridden on to the next junction. That rider has to wait for everyone to pass, up until the tail marshal arrives, so all are accounted for.
That sounds like a good format. I wouldn't mind taking part in something like that, even of it means sticking the GasGas in the van to get there

SimonW
Donator
Donator
France

New toy

Post by SimonW » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:35 pm

I've mailed these people: http://randosansfrontiere.fr/ They're based close to me ... on verra! :dirtbike

Lebowski
France

New toy

Post by Lebowski » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Jamba wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm
Randon.jpg
Lebowski wrote:
Although my logic says, go to one, wait until everyone else has left and then have a poodle along at the back....
Good fun. Not been on one for some years. It was -10c at the start and had been down to -22c for a couple of weeks before that so the ground was like iron.

Dangerous to ride the trails alone.
That's strange as the two I've seen definitely didn't operate like that. They were pretty big randos thouugh so maybe had a number of travelling marshalls? Not everyone set off together, in fact folk were still turning up to ride a good half hour, 45 mins after the first guy left.

Totally agree on riding alone.....

SimonW
Donator
Donator
France

New toy

Post by SimonW » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Update: Went out for a 'Rondo Conviviale' with some of the guys from RandoSansFrontiers last Saturday ... at night! The temperature was still in the mid-twenties, but not like the searing daytime heat we've been having. They too work with the pointer system, and it seemed to work very well. I was absolutely knackered after an hour and three minor tumbles, but it was great fun, and I've accepted their invitation to do another one in a few weeks. :dirtbike