Donator
Donator
France

''The time has come-'' the walrus said--------------

Post by Varanoir » Fri May 26, 2017 7:16 am

......... to talk of many things,
of shoes and ships and sealing wax-
and cabbages and kings!

Well, not quite all of Lewis Carroll's musing, but some, and a bit of a preamble..........

I tried selling my Beemer last year, and had no takers, so I modified it a bit to see whether I liked it better. So, it's now got new Hyperpro progressive springs ( a revelation), a clever electronic gizmo to stop throttle snatch and injector rattle ( weak starting mixture), and I've changed the ghastly side opening Vario panniers for some really excellent alu top openers from a Romanian outfit called ''Heavy Duties''. Superb quality and 1/2 the price of Touratech/others....... anyway I digress.

I've hardly been anywhere since last year and doing the mods, but after a run of about 300k's down to the Gironde Estuary last weekend, I came to the conclusion that I really can't and don't want to ride anymore. I've been thinking about this for a long time, and considered that I might have just needed to get away from it for a bit, but I didn't like what I came back to. I also have one last major project on my bucket list that I must get on with before I become too infirm. Before I came to France and in the last years of my employment, I had enjoyed many years sailing, and kept a 9 metre boat on the east coast. I am RYA qualified to Coastal skipper level, but haven't been on the water for years, as it was beyond my financial means after I got made redundant.

I'm hanging up my boots, and the bike is for sale again. it's listed on leboncoin here:- www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1133283582.htm If anyone is interested I will discuss pricing.

I'm selling up everything ( except my clothing) , including all my ( nearly new) camping gear, and my house is even up for sale so I can downsize and realise some cash to buy another boat. My last bucket list task? to do the ARC, the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers with the World Cruising Club in 2019.

''It is better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.'' _ Herman Siu

Glynmo
France

Post by Glynmo » Fri May 26, 2017 8:07 am

It's sad that you're hanging up your riding boots but I'm sure it's only after a lot of head-scratching. I'm not in the market for a bike I'm afraid, but good luck with the sale (of everything) and your sailing ambition.
The older I get, the faster I was.

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Fri May 26, 2017 8:21 am

A big decision, John, but one that only you can make. I understand about your wish to do the ARC, I am keen to do a similar trip and might do so on a more traditional vessel. In the meantime, you are very welcome to come out on the water with me anytime, get in touch if you ever fancy a sail. Less luxury than you are used to but a great sailing boat.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Post by wizzard » Fri May 26, 2017 10:08 am

Very sad John, but after we spoke when you had just got back from that ride I got the feeling that you were ready to call it a day. It may be the end of one hobby, but buying a boat would be the start of another chapter and new adventures - go for it.
Please feel free to pop in any time you are passing - visiting on a bike isnt essential! icon_thumbup
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Giscard
Donator
Donator
England

Post by Giscard » Fri May 26, 2017 12:03 pm

What a shame, but I am sure it will come to us all in time. Thank you for all the sound advice that you have given on this site. Whoever gets your bike will I am sure get one that has been well maintained, although I would take your cat off the seat before selling it. Good luck matelot.

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Fri May 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Sad news John, for us that is. No more random bike meets in Chabanais or wherever but hopefully may bump into you at Le Soleil Couchant sometime if you stay around this area.
UTC

Dieselspanner
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Dieselspanner » Fri May 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Do It!
Personally I've found the things I didn't do are the one's In regret most.............

Cheers Stef

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Post by wizzard » Fri May 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Maybe someone should start a new thread about things they wish they had done, but didnt. icon_dance
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Varanoir
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Varanoir » Sat May 27, 2017 11:45 am

wizzard wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 6:05 pm
Maybe someone should start a new thread about things they wish they had done, but didnt. icon_dance

Go for it! it beats the sh*t out of Linky meters!!
''It is better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.'' _ Herman Siu

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

Post by Dragon » Sat May 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Good luck in your new endeavours John, i hope you have as much enjoyment on a boat as you did on a bike, but at the same time i hope you stay on Boat Bike club France, it would be a pity to lose touch with you after many years of knowing you, but i wish you all the best regardless mate, icon_notworthy .............Gwyn,
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,