lacets de montvernier

This new sub section of the Touring section, is for all things related to touring, ie camping, equipment etc.
yorkie
Donator
Donator
Great Britain

lacets de montvernier

Post by yorkie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 am

Son was watching French 1300 news yesterday when we were preparing lunch. He called me in and asked if I had heard of this route, my jaw dropped when I saw the pictures on the screen!

I have never heard of it. Anyone on here heard of it or, mor importantly, done it? Watched a video on Youtube, looks a narrow road, not quite as bad as some in the Lakes, but would hate to be lined up for a corner and run into a pack of bikes coming down.

ChrisD
France

lacets de montvernier

Post by ChrisD » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am

It is a bit jaw dropping. When I had adventure bikes with a good turning circle hairpins weren't a prob but I have to really slow down now on my Bonnie.
UTC

Stella
France

lacets de montvernier

Post by Stella » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Le Tour went up it again this year so you could see the shots from the guys standing on the camera bikes! It is very narrow so in theory they kept people off the road for the race.
Mountains are for riding up and skiing down!

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

lacets de montvernier

Post by wizzard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am

It is a bit jaw dropping. When I had adventure bikes with a good turning circle hairpins weren't a prob but I have to really slow down now on my Bonnie.
You should try it on my Harley Chris, or worse, my BMW K1 - no lock at all and on some Swiss passes I had to do cuts to get it around the corners. My french club were at the Punta Bagna event recently, in the Alps. To be eligible for the custom competition all entrants must ride up and down a route like this - that includes long rigid chops. My mate did it on his stock Road King and said it was mega scarey.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

lacets de montvernier

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Back in the 50s/60s it was a stage on the old style Monte Carlo rally. Imagine going down that in something like a Healy 3000....

papasmurf
Great Britain

lacets de montvernier

Post by papasmurf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:58 am

ChrisD wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am

The Yamaha Radian I used to own would be the tool for that road, it would U turn in an 11 foot width, whilst keeping both feet on the footrests:-

ChrisD
France

lacets de montvernier

Post by ChrisD » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:47 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:58 am
The Yamaha Radian I used to own would be the tool for that road, it would U turn in an 11 foot width, whilst keeping both feet on the footrests:-
I was following a German guy on a new Africa Twin round some tight bends in the Pyrenees this May and he was standing on the pegs, showboating a bit. My toes were scraping the tarmac getting round the same bends on the Triumph.
UTC