Advice from a UK motorcycle guide

This new sub section of the Touring section, is for all things related to touring, ie camping, equipment etc.
Ndawson
Great Britain

Post by Ndawson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I live in France and am essentially retired however I so work as a motorcycle guide for a UK company in the summer months and lead two or three tours.

I therefore feel that I am well placed to answer anyone's questions regarding what to bring, how any miles per day, camping or hotels, what bike is best (the answer to this one is simply the one you feel comfortable with and is reliable enough for the length of trip you plan). I am sure that there will be other questions and I can only pass on my opinion based on experience.

I am not here to sell or even name the company I work for, neither am I here to pass on the notes that we use but will help where I can.

regards

Nick

"When life gets you down remember .... it's only one down and the rest is up!" -

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Post by wizzard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Ndawson wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:13 pm
Hello everyone,

I live in France and am essentially retired however I so work as a motorcycle guide for a UK company in the summer months and lead two or three tours.

I therefore feel that I am well placed to answer anyone's questions regarding what to bring, how any miles per day, camping or hotels, what bike is best (the answer to this one is simply the one you feel comfortable with and is reliable enough for the length of trip you plan). I am sure that there will be other questions and I can only pass on my opinion based on experience.

I am not here to sell or even name the company I work for, neither am I here to pass on the notes that we use but will help where I can.
Thanks for this Nick - I'm sure that there will be some of our members who come over to France on holiday wold value your advice ( and maybe some locals too).
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Do you lead tours in the U.K. or in Europe?
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Ndawson
Great Britain

Post by Ndawson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 pm

I lead tours in Europe.

I start in the UK and we normally take the Eurostar crossing to Calais. From there it depends entirely on the itinery with some trips staying entirely in France and Corsica whereas others go across Europe taking in Germany, Austria, Italy, Croatia, Switzerland, Bosnia and Belgium.

The company also runs other tours to Spain, Morocco and Scandinavia however these start from different ports and other guides lead them. The company has a number of guides so can run quite a few tours over the season. I tend to concentrate on France, Italy and Switzerland however, to get there we also pass through Germany and Austria.

Hope this helps.
regards

Nick

"When life gets you down remember .... it's only one down and the rest is up!" -

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm

I was just wondering as you mentioned that you were a U.K. guide.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.