Harley D

As the title says, but please mark any risky jokes .
Forum rules
Jokes/postings which contravene the posting guidelines may be removed by the Moderators/Adminitration without notice. Please ensure you are familiar with the guidelines BEFORE posting. You will find them in the Essential BCFr Information section on the board index page.
SteveWalsh
France

Harley D

Post by SteveWalsh » Tue May 21, 2019 7:34 pm

60807543_1617019175109653_273084285651517440_n.jpg

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Harley D

Post by wizzard » Tue May 21, 2019 7:59 pm

This doesnt match any of the Harleys I've had since 90s.........................but as its black and white it may relate to pre Evo models, and be slightly more accurate (Shovelhead may disagree).
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

papasmurf
Great Britain

Harley D

Post by papasmurf » Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 am

I have been to a lot of motorcycle rallies over the year and HD predominates bike trailered away at the end of the rally.
That or someone borrows my tools to mend one.
Last weekend was a first for me though it wasn't a bike that needed mending it was the lock on a Turdis toilet.
The man in the tent next to me had the right sized bolt and I had a nylock nut and washers to fit.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Harley D

Post by wizzard » Wed May 22, 2019 9:08 am

Out of the many, many, many bike runs I've been on in France over the last 13 years, I've known of two Harley breakdowns , but plenty of Japanese engined breakdowns (usually electrical), BMW (electrical) and one Guzzi (blown hun seal due to bad maintenance). The Harley ones were related to a very old bike, and a badly aligned back wheel on a custom Sporty which broke the drive belt.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Harley D

Post by papasmurf » Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 am

To be fair a Harley serviced by the owner rarely seems to have problems. On the other hand dealer serviced ones seem to have a lot of problems mainly due to Harley so called dealerships thinking a service consists of washing the bike and charging £500 for it.
A friend had a Harley, that had a service book full of dealer stamps. When I took a close look it became VERY obvious, the bike had not been serviced properly in its ten year life, (five different dealerships stamps in the service book.)
The brake fluid was a thick and treacle and obviously never been changed. I had to beat the brake pads out with a hammer.
Engine mountings were loose, with some nuts missing.
(I suspect the MOT certificate was just written out with no inspection having been carried out.)
There is a lot more but I don't think anyone wants to read a novel length contribution.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Harley D

Post by wizzard » Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 am

I'm in total agreement there - apart from a dealer recall and the first service a few months after I bought it in 2008 no-one else has ever touched my Harley. I've been doing all my own servicing on Harleys since the 90s, and touch wood, the worst problem I've had was a puncture. I have seen absolute nightmare work produced by the dealers, which verged on dangerous. When you say washing the bike, they actually jet wash them, which I told them not to do when they assembled it from the crate and the first service. My mate just got charged a fortune the change a front tyre and an oil change (at least 500 euros) when I did the very same work for well under 200 euros. Thats why they are called stealers, not dealers.

FrancisBarnett
France

Harley D

Post by FrancisBarnett » Wed May 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Every bike I have bought that had loads of prestige dealer service stamps in the service book has needed work doing, either through their neglect, bodging or ignorance.
The only s/h vehicle that I have bought within the last ten years that hasn't had problems is our old L200 diesel truck - it came with a service book with zero entries in it at 37 k miles and four years old from new!
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

ChrisD
France

Harley D

Post by ChrisD » Wed May 22, 2019 11:25 pm

The only unreliable bikes I have come across in recent years appear to be Ducatis and that's only on electrical issues, unless you count C5's as bikes.
UTC

SteveWalsh
France

Harley D

Post by SteveWalsh » Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 pm

I think you have all had a sense of humour by pass,,,, I dont do serious .......And I dont mind the odd Harley

ShovelHead
Great Britain

Harley D

Post by ShovelHead » Sat May 25, 2019 7:26 am

HI
toured all over the UK/Europe shipped the shovel to the USA second oldest bike in group no problems as usual i assume the man in the Yamaha bed
is reding his manual(the beano) and he will be asking the Harley guy what is a spark plug
nice pillow