Vintage or modern vintage bike riders

This is a new section where you can post up Rants and get things off your chest. Usual forum rules have to "sort of" apply.
Breninfrance
England

Post by Breninfrance » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm

as I get older the more gear I seem to wear! :(
I always wear gloves, I'm allergic to bee stings, the one and only time I rode without gloves a fuckin bee got me on the knuckle :evil: , I was Ill for three days and my hand was unusable, so I always wear gloves
I always wear boots, as a youf I was poor, so I had a pair of ex army German boots, (welly style not lace ups) and they were my only shoes, so I wore them all the time (even into nightclubs a few times, tucked into my jeans), so I'm in the habit of wearing boots
same as my coat, my leather was my only coat, and the multitude of pockets were full of my shit, rizla, tabacco, lighter, "stuff", so that went everywhere I went!
I now like to ride in leather trousers, I would have when I was younger, but way out of my budget!
and I have a caberg open face helmet, with a two visor system (pop down shades) but that leaves my neck exposed (to bees and cold) so I wear a gimp mask
last year I got soaked to the skin twice! it took fuckin ages to dry my gear out (once on the run to Roscoff, and once on the ride back from Millevaches), so I'm also looking to carry quality waterproof stuff (over suits, not fancy troosers)
it just adds up and up
I would like a proper summer vented jacket, in the summer I just die from heat and carrying my heavy leather! but I am yet to find something I like and am willing to pay for

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Breninfrance wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm
I would like a proper summer vented jacket, in the summer I just die from heat and carrying my heavy leather! but I am yet to find something I like and am willing to pay for
Ditto..Does anyone have any recommendations on a summer jacket? The mesh ones with armour seem a good compromise. I keep thinking I should get one but like Bren my life has been lived on a budget. My current jacket was 2nd hand and the outer zipper has gone which gives me an excuse for a replacement.

ps.Hope this is not too off topic, I can always start another thrread.
UTC

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Post by wizzard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 pm

I've got a brilliant lightweight BMW jacket, with opening/mesh sections, and a removable thermal liner - Chris you have probably seen it, the yellow and grey one. They cost the earth, but I bought it cheap (very) from a mate who was giving up biking and whose bike I'd sold for him. Keep n eye on Facebook guys, there has been some great gear on there lately, and at good prices.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................