Carte/Titre de Séjour

The place to share what you've learnt or ask for advice from others
Andrew
New Zealand

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am

Let's be honest, no bugger knows ought. What's law now could be changed. Or it might not.. French govt MAY even waive charges for UK passport holders applying after the wall goes up... or reduce it.... or increase it. What one person thinks unfair another thinks is justified.

You can only do what you think is best as you see it right now. And live with any consequences of getting it wrong! Nah, I'm not going to scare monger, nor act from a position of fear. I do think that, whatever happens, UK citizens will be treated decently and be given time to respond to the new circumstances. But I could be wrong.

Given that there might be cause to believe that life after could cost me more than 500 - a cost I might avoid by acting before March - this gives me motivation to get it done. Early next year I think....

Cornishman
France

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by Cornishman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 am

It’s nothing more than scaremongering, there’s still a lot of it about.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

FrancisBarnett
France

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by FrancisBarnett » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 am
It’s nothing more than scaremongering, there’s still a lot of it about.
Yeah - sorry about that, the actual cost is €269 not €270 as I said.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Varanoir
Donator
Donator
France

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by Varanoir » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Interesting to catch up on this topic after so long. I got my TDS in Oct 2016, and although I haveused it from time to time as a form of ID, no-one has actually asked me for it. Yesterday I had a long chat with my local Mayor. He is my next door neighbour and he invited me in because I'm moving tomorrow ( 12th October) and he is very concerned about the way things are shaping up. We covered a whole raft of topics but we obviously discussed issues with the local U.K. immigrant population, and the right to remain in France. The TDS is valid until the date that's on the card (in my case 2026) and they won't change it retrospectively . Local Mairies ( inc this one) are advising British Citizens living here, to apply for them as soon as possible. If you've been here over 5 years you are also entitled to apply for Nationality ( dual Nationality) Those who don't qualify either for the TDS ( and rules are being tightened esp on Income/support levels) or who have not been here 5 years by the time Brexit becomes official, will have to apply for the right to remain as a non EU citizen and follow the immigration path.
''It is better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.'' _ Herman Siu

papasmurf
Great Britain

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by papasmurf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 pm

This thread reminds me of a conversation I have with a Breton menuisier some years ago. He reckoned he would be starving if it were not for Brits buying ruins of houses no Breton would touch and that kept him very busy. (His work book was entirely work for ex-pats.)

Jamstealer
France

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by Jamstealer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm

1. They won’t cancel appointments already made.
2.Its highly unlikely that they will charge if you have applied before the 29th
3. Given that the french govt has declared publicly that they have no wish to make things complicated for Brits; I am confident that there will not be many obstacles put in our way. I have a freind who works in the Ministry of the Interior; she tells me they are doing loads of planning for it all (pity UK govt isn’t).

On the other hand, I have spoken to quite a few Brits here who are ignoring the whole thing, on the basis of “Oh, it will be OK, I can’t be bothered with any of this, and it will all carry on as before.” Well if that’s Their attitude I have zero sympathy if it all goes tits up for them.
Failing to prepare , is preparing to fail.

Jamstealer
France

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by Jamstealer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:10 pm

What is really annoying is that the UK charges £372 when you relinquish UK citizenship.

coeurdelion
France

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Think there's a lot of Facebook politicians summising what might or might not happen,I just think each to their own ,for me forewarned is forearmed,my rdv is in July but if I don't need it I can cancel it,I pay taxes and have done for nearly 15 yrs,got a siret etc and don't claim a cent so see what happens.coeurdelion

Cornishman
France

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by Cornishman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm
1. They won’t cancel appointments already made.
2.Its highly unlikely that they will charge if you have applied before the 29th
3. Given that the french govt has declared publicly that they have no wish to make things complicated for Brits; I am confident that there will not be many obstacles put in our way. I have a freind who works in the Ministry of the Interior; she tells me they are doing loads of planning for it all (pity UK govt isn’t).

On the other hand, I have spoken to quite a few Brits here who are ignoring the whole thing, on the basis of “Oh, it will be OK, I can’t be bothered with any of this, and it will all carry on as before.” Well if that’s Their attitude I have zero sympathy if it all goes tits up for them.
Failing to prepare , is preparing to fail.
La Vienne has already started cancelling appointments made for after 30th November. Those with cancelled appointments will be in the first tranche of people to have their applications processed online, those who have already sent in an email request for a rendezvous will be in the second tranche and those who have yet to apply will be dealt with later.
A7558773-9C07-4C22-804E-B6713E3DE0BF.jpeg
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Jamstealer
France

Carte/Titre de Séjour

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:48 am

Oh well, that’s the Vienne I guess. Always was a nightmare Prefecture. Luckily I found out how crap they were before I came here, so eliminated them from my list of places to live.