Financial Advisors near Nimes/Avignon

The place to share what you've learnt or ask for advice from others
Nicky53
France

Post by Nicky53 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi there,
Does anyone have any recommendations for an IFA / Tax advisor in the Gard, near Nimes or Avignon who understands both the French and English systems ? We've just moved to Uzes and now need to sort out how we go about sorting out our taxes and pension schemes. It would be really useful if the advisor can speak English as well. Although I speak pretty good French both my husband and my eyes tend to glaze over when we wander into this world of investments, planning etc :lol: :?

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Post by wizzard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Blevins Franks has a good reputation, although I've never used them myself.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

ShovelHead
Great Britain

Post by ShovelHead » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

i am in the process of sorting my private pension out in the UK there are going to be a few hiccups after 2019 look magazenes
called Living.The Exetera .The Bugle they can be found in any french tourist information office most large financial advisers
want to deal in moneys over £200,000 my draw down pension plan matures in a couple of weeks time and i would prefer not
to invest in any more 5 year plans i am trying to get it payed to my UK bank and go from there i will keep all posted

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm

ShovelHead wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm
i am in the process of sorting my private pension out in the UK there are going to be a few hiccups after 2019 look magazenes
called Living.The Exetera .The Bugle they can be found in any french tourist information office most large financial advisers
want to deal in moneys over £200,000 my draw down pension plan matures in a couple of weeks time and i would prefer not
to invest in any more 5 year plans i am trying to get it payed to my UK bank and go from there i will keep all posted
If you can get your hands on your pension pot, and you are looking for an income from the capital, have look at National Savings and Investments.

It's 100% safe-it doesn't involve "financial advisors" with shiny shoes and shiny suits and large percentage fees.

Minimum £500 - maximum is a million £

Guaranteed income bonds - Issue 56 -it pays 2.15% gross/2.17% AER tax free if you stick it in there for three years( UK tax is not deducted )

2.15% secured 100% is not to be sneezed at right now.

But here is the good bit - The whole capital sum is not locked in - if you need to take some out, you only pay a penalty of three month's interest on the amount you take out.

I can confirm that they pay out on the due date monthly on the nail to your UK bank account.

I
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

Post by wizzard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 pm

You have to declare it here if you are registered for tax in france. I had a NS investment mature just after I came here, took advice from a woman in the tax office who said it wasnt taxable. Then got fined a year later for not declaring it.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 pm

The trap that many fall into is thinking that if something is “not taxable” in France, that you don’t declare it.
You must declare all worldwide income; then that which is not taxable, is not taxed ( or that which is taxed elsewhere is not double taxed - providing France has a “double tax“ arrangement with the country where the funds are deposited.
Income from schemes which are tax free in UK are seldom tax free in France ( and vice versa).
Fines in France for not declaring incomes or accounts elsewhere can be quite heavy; even if no tax will accrue from them.
And Les Impôts do cross check stuff with HMRC.
Luxembourg is good for opening savings; investment accounts there are fully compliant with French rules.

ShovelHead
Great Britain

Post by ShovelHead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:12 am

as you say the job is getting your pension pot. the latest on my pension is a Aveva flexi plan where you can take as much out in one go (funds available)
but then you come up to your personal taxable allowance you have to declare your state pension then taxed on what you can take out. the private
pension i have,i personally paid into i have already paid taxon my earnings to take it all out you can pay 45%tax .this goes to keep the people on benefits and any one of the banana boat in the luxury at my expence

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 pm

But if you have declared to HMRC on your P85 that you are now resident in France, then the UK tax rules on your UK pensions change.
I don’t have details of how that works, as my UK pensions are Govt (military and civil service), so always taxed at source in UK. Private pensions and pension funds are different. What is tax free in UK might not be in France, conversely if you are not resident in UK ( I assume you are full time in France) you may be exempt tax in UK and need a formula in France that minimises tax.

Nicky53
France

Post by Nicky53 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks for all for sharing your experiences. We've seen Blevin Franks name mentioned a few times, so may well contact them for advice. Just another red tape minefield to get through !! icon_thanks

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 pm

ShovelHead wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:12 am
as you say the job is getting your pension pot. the latest on my pension is a Aveva flexi plan where you can take as much out in one go (funds available)
but then you come up to your personal taxable allowance you have to declare your state pension then taxed on what you can take out. the private
pension i have,i personally paid into i have already paid taxon my earnings to take it all out you can pay 45%tax .this goes to keep the people on benefits and any one of the banana boat in the luxury at my expence
If I understand your situation correctly, unless the rules have changed, you are allowed to take 25% of your pension pot free of UK tax.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.