2016 Paris Motor Show (Monial de l'Automotive)

hardergm
Australia

Post by hardergm » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:07 pm

Just happened to be spending a few days in Paris on the way back to Oz.

SInce the motor show was on - why not go?

Just back from a great day at the Paris Motor Show. It has got to be one of the biggest automotive events in the world. There were 5 gigantic exhibition halls and a number had multiple floors!

This was the 2nd weekend of the event and I mistakenly thought that the crowds may have been down a bit. It opened at 1000 and we were there about 1015 and it was already crowded.

Security was also high, with plenty of security staff about. On the way in all bags were searched, all jackets needed to be opened and every person frisked. Paris just gets on with the big events and does it with good humour.

The major themes were hybrid cars, purely electric cars (both available now and into the future (i.e. concept cars) and autonomous or semi-autonomous cars.

I had read that Tesla were going to premier their Model 3 at the Paris Motor Show and was keen to see it. They had the Model S and the Model X there, but the Model 3 didn't make it. That was really the only disappointment of the show (apart from very few motos)

Cheers
Geoff

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Jamba » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Tesla in trouble.
6 Tesla's sold in Denmark in Q1

Being a parasite has drawbacks.

richard36
France

Post by richard36 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:14 pm

hardergm wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:07 pm

The major themes were hybrid cars, purely electric cars (both available now and into the future (i.e. concept cars) and autonomous or semi-autonomous cars.
Which manufacturer had the most impressive planned hybrid?

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Tesla are actually damaging the cause of electric vehicles; they are making them a luxury car; unaffordable to mr ordinary. And getting sidetracked into all the high tech hands off technology and so on. And the car isn't that good.
So they are alienating ordinary potential electric car owners.

It's not helped by Elon Musk; his support of Trump has alienated him from a large part of his potential market; even though he has now distanced himself from Trump.
Add to that the gradual removal of tax reliefs on ( not very good) electric cars, and they are bound to have a dip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richard36
France

Post by richard36 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 am

I only showed an interest due to planning to buy a Hybrid SUV in a couple years - when any teething problems with them are sorted, to replace the 'dirty' Duster.

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:08 am

My friend Phil who lives in New Zealand has a 4X4 Toyota hybrid for his company car. He was initially disappointed because he wanted a Subaru but once he had the Toyota decided that it's brilliant. It is driven solely by electric motors but has a small petrol engine that is used to charge the batteries. He says the system is very efficient on and off road and the petrol engine which starts and stops as required is quiet. Nothing revolutionary though, James May made a similar hybrid on Top Gear years ago.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 am

I definitely want hybrid, when it comes to next car; my only concerns at present are battery life/ cost. Funny how these things come round, hybrid, particularly the engine drives generator -drives electric motors has actually been around for years;
French Saint Chamond Tank
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/f ... hamond.php
The German Maus tank prototype;
The Lohner-Porsche cars;
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/08/1 ... and-mixte/

And the technology has been in Railway locomotives and ships for years.
It's just getting it to work efficiently on a light vehicle scale.
Mechanically/ power/ torque delivery etc it's a no brainer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk