Football Whoohoo!

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

Re: Football Whoohoo!

Post by Dragon » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:51 pm

ChrisD wrote: Well, it's do or Dai today. Sorry Gwyn, hope you lose this one.
well your wish came true, ........just 90 seconds away from staying at the top of the table, icon_wall .....but what gets me is this........went in the first half 1-0 up and competing ............and then sat back and tried to defend for 45 minutes, ,,,,,,was never going to happen, ......so we have to beat Russia now......or draw if England beat Slovakia,

We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:54 pm

You should go through whatever happens as one of the best losers. 16 to go through from 24 so most 3rd places will qualify.
UTC

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:28 am

I think Wales will go through. I reckon the table stage gives the bunnies some exposure, a chance to shine and claim a scalp maybe but little else. And Wales aren't bunnies.... but I guess they could get scalped :| Nah, no real bunnies in the group but I reckon Wales will do enough and Russia will finish bottom.

Wales didn't really trouble England. They made life difficult but the 2nd half was about hanging on. The half time lead was courtesy of an exceptional strike and poor goalkeeping.

I think Hodgson is, in the words of many a forum no doubt, clueless. Surprisingly so. He threw on strikers in hope. He really didn't know how they'd play together. Nothing tactical, just a roll of the dice. What's surprising is that he hadn't worked out options in advance from training and warm-up games. It doesn't bode well. But, like Wales, they'll get through to the knock out stages.

Edit: btw, I think Vardy's goal was offside . Yes yes, I know Ashley Williams supposedly played him onside BUT Vardy was clearly in an offside position and benefited from the deflection. Even if the rules say I'm wrong, and I'm pretty sure they do, I still think he was offside! The rules ought be changed!! I reckon that he was technically offside the moment the England player got his head to the ball from the cross, and before it came off Williams. At that point, before Williams played him on, he was offside. Just a thought piece btw, I'm not going to put windows through over it! :lol:

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:52 pm

A true poacher's goal I guess and somewhat lucky/jammy/scrappy.
That's what poaching is all about. Allan Clarke in his day got a lot of "jammy" goals.

I like what they said in the Guardian. Hodgson is playing all the right strikers, but not necessarily in the right order. :D

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Well Spain took the proverbial out of Turkey, they must look good for the title, or were turkey so bad? I'm really enjoying my out of season footie (until england get knocked out)
UTC

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:01 pm

That's weird, just noticed my penultimate post went through under Andrew's name??????????
UTC

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:20 pm

Big one tonight (perhaps I should say big two and include Wales). Depending on results we could finish anywhere between top and third so still a lot to play for. Burnley's Sam Vokes replaces Robson-Kanu in the Welsh team. It would be good to see him get a goal even if it helps Wales. :o
UTC

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:42 pm

ChrisD wrote: That's weird, just noticed my penultimate post went through under Andrew's name??????????
That is really weird. The post I actually made (part of it features as the quote) has gone. Our 2 posts have somehow got mangled into 1 :?

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Excellent result for Wales. I'm well pleased for them :D

England doing things the hard way again. Another new manager after the tournament?

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

Post by Dragon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Yep a fantastic performance, they did not sit back on their lead like they did against England, which proved fatal, 3 now for Bale......golden boot maybe if he scores in the next game.............we are top of the league say we are top of the league, icon_thumbup
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,