Voting issues

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Voting issues

Post by wizzard » Wed May 22, 2019 11:54 am

Some days ago Jammy posted something worrying about problems with the postal voting system, but this seems to have disappeared within the black hole of our recent server problems.
However I spotted this on BBC news today, confirming that us brits abroad are treated as 2nd class citizens.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48351281

:evil: icon_wall tappingfoot

Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Andrew
New Zealand

Voting issues

Post by Andrew » Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Our voting cards arrived yesterday evening, hand delivered by the Mairie secretary. How's that for service ? We've for all the bumph plus lists for voting on Sunday, that arrived in the post Saturday. Now I just have to decide who to vote for - that's a lot of choice!

I've never voted in the European elections in the UK, always in France. Tbh, it never struck me to vote in the UK, no idea why really, just didn't think of it. Each to their own etc.

ChrisD
France

Voting issues

Post by ChrisD » Wed May 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Because of Brexit me and christine both registered with our last known electoral authority and I got all the voting papers but she didn't. That aside the biggest issue was all the expats who couldn't vote because they had lived abroad too long and yet were the most affected.
UTC

Jamstealer
France

Voting issues

Post by Jamstealer » Thu May 23, 2019 7:47 am

The UK system is totally broken and wide open to corruption. Our votes were suppressed as our postal voting registration had been deleted without our knowledge.
We still have not got to the bottom of how this happened.
It is either utter incompetence or deliberate interference.
Given this, and the fact that postal votes;
Often don’t get sent out in time, and;
We know that large numbers of postal votes never arrive in the counting hall;
I strongly recommend that everyone arranges a proxy instead. I have now found a proxy, ( who happens to be an expert in electoral law, and works next door to the electoral offices) who I can rely on in the future to assure my vote.
As far as the 15 year rule and disenfranchisement of overseas voters is concerned, sadly that I don’t ever see that being rectified. Both major political parties are dead set against it.
Indeed I predict it being reduced to 10 or 5 years, or expat votes being removed altogether.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Voting issues

Post by wizzard » Thu May 23, 2019 11:11 am

I'm getting close to the 15 year mark, plus I can vote in all the french elections, but I really want to be able to vote in the UK as I can see expats getting a hammering in the future from any of the main parties.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................