I thought the forum had disappeared forever.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 pm

wizzard wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:04 pm
The local MCs are on FB , and they are pretty security conscious too, so it cant be too bad.
None of the MCs I know of have an internet presence at all. In fact one rally is very difficult to find out about every year because it depends on who is out of prison to organise it. (Not a joke.)

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Tue May 21, 2019 5:38 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 pm
wizzard wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:04 pm
The local MCs are on FB , and they are pretty security conscious too, so it cant be too bad.

None of the MCs I know of have an internet presence at all. In fact one rally is very difficult to find out about every year because it depends on who is out of prison to organise it. (Not a joke.)
A quick search on FB shows Hells Angels, Outcasts, Druids, Bloody Skulls , Abomifreux (the latter 2 french). My club too. I go to a few backpatch rallies every year which are solely by invitation, and have some pretty serious clubs in attendance, all of which have an internet presense.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Tue May 21, 2019 6:02 pm

wizzard wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:38 pm

A quick search on FB shows Hells Angels, Outcasts, Druids, Bloody Skulls , Abomifreux (the latter 2 french). My club too. I go to a few backpatch rallies every year which are solely by invitation, and have some pretty serious clubs in attendance, all of which have an internet presense.
Well I was at a rally last weekend where there were about 15 HA presidents and entourage, none of them have an internet presence or Facebook.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:02 pm
wizzard wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Well I was at a rally last weekend where there were about 15 HA presidents and entourage, none of them have an internet presence or Facebook.
I'm not going to debate it with you Papa - we have differing experiences of this situation - I have an American 1% er , a Scottish 1% er, and 2 MC club presidents as FB friends, plus I get regular FB requests to "friend" MC members from clubs I know.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

Post by Dragon » Tue May 21, 2019 8:53 pm

Been on facebook since it started and had zero problems, I am in touch with everyone I ever served with in the Army, anything I put on it is of no interest to anyone apart from my friends, ….I don't put bank account details .passwords or anything that would interest any other parties looking in, I am in a group which has all ex members of the battalion and it is a private group, none of my other friends can see what I am saying on the said group, so it is very secure, ……...now if I was on the run and living in Spain and using my own name then yes I would be worried, but I am not so I will carry on using Facebook, it has put me in contact with so many friends I would never of found by letter....text....google, ….phone. etc, …..just punch in their name and bingo, if they don't want to know me then they wont accept my friend request, …..to me the second best thing apart from Sat navs, icon_thumbup
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 pm

Facebook is flawed and they keep moving the goalposts so I don't trust the site even though I use it though I am considering kicking it into touch, too much personal data manipulation (though being fair google is as bad).
Anyways, going back to the original post, the forum could disappear due to lack of interest and subscription, watch out for more info.
UTC

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Thu May 23, 2019 6:33 am

Perhaps you can tell me Chris, how does personal data manipulation have a negative effect on you and your security? As the only FB posts of yours I’ve seen aren’t even in your name and it’s quite likely that you signed up with a random email address what real harm does it do?
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 am

Unless you have taken precautions to stop it, Facebook ( and their linked Instagram, and Whatsapp) have accessed all your contacts, the emails you send, your photographs and your files
Even though they claim they have stopped doing it, they have not deleted the data they collected.
Their facial recognition throws your personal images world wide. Luckily in France, the government has forced them to switch that off.
To have any personal security, you need to lock off photos, contacts and files, sign up with a secondary email, not upload any personal photos or any information about your address, location, phone numbers or real name.
And only access Facebook via a VPN to mask your IP and location

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 am

Unless you have taken precautions to stop it, Facebook ( and their linked Instagram, and Whatsapp) have accessed all your contacts, the emails you send, your photographs and your files
Even though they claim they have stopped doing it, they have not deleted the data they collected.
Their facial recognition throws your personal images world wide. Luckily in France, the government has forced them to switch that off.
To have any personal security, you need to lock off photos, contacts and files, sign up with a secondary email, not upload any personal photos or any information about your address, location, phone numbers or real name.
And only access Facebook via a VPN to mask your IP and location

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 am

Cornishman wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:33 am
Perhaps you can tell me Chris, how does personal data manipulation have a negative effect on you and your security? As the only FB posts of yours I’ve seen aren’t even in your name and it’s quite likely that you signed up with a random email address what real harm does it do?
On my personal FB account I am constantly getting suggested posts, friends suggestions and advertising posts which I keep deleting and ticking the option to see less of them. I just find it irritating and feel like it's trying to manipulate me. I've even had friend requests which I thought unusual and checked with the persons concerned who have said they didn't make the request.
UTC