stop signs

Jamstealer
France

stop signs

Post by Jamstealer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:25 pm

I assume your Enfield has a chair. In which case it’s the same as a car.

Cornishman
France

stop signs

Post by Cornishman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:31 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:57 pm
Jamstealer wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 pm
Andrew wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:49 am
There's stopping and then there's stopping.

I believe there's a legal definition of stopping in France (out of gear, handbrake on or - if on a motorbike, foot down??) and I wonder how many people legally stop at every stop sign. Speaking personally, I know I don't always.
Stop simply means that. Stop. No out of gear( you wouldn’t in an auto anyway). Wheels stop turning for an obvious length of time. Ie count 1,2,3. On a bike, the same, but put one foot down.count,2,3.
That would cause me a problem on the "Royal Enfield." I rarely need to put a foot down when stopped at traffic lights. (For some reason that annoys other bikers.)
Having grown up on trials bikes putting my foot down when unnecessary still feels wrong.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Jamstealer
France

stop signs

Post by Jamstealer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:09 am

Cornishman wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Having grown up on trials bikes putting my foot down when unnecessary still feels wrong.
Yes, though conversely, as a trials rider, if you are putting a foot down, you plant it firmly down and keep it there as long as you need, then you only lose one point, instead of several dabs which lose a point each time....

papasmurf
Great Britain

stop signs

Post by papasmurf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:22 am

Jamstealer wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:25 pm
I assume your Enfield has a chair. In which case it’s the same as a car.
No it does not have a chair it is a solo, I posted a picture of it recently.

The person who built it was attempting to do a homage to a 1955 500 Bullet Trials bike.

Cornishman
France

stop signs

Post by Cornishman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:33 am

Jamstealer wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:09 am
Cornishman wrote:

Yes, though conversely, as a trials rider, if you are putting a foot down, you plant it firmly down and keep it there as long as you need, then you only lose one point, instead of several dabs which lose a point each time....
But the instinct is still to keep your feet where they belong. In fact, as a consequence of living in Germany where the Stop sign rules are observed and policed, I do stop at Stop signs and plant a foot. Seeing any motorcyclist taking their foot of the pegs and letting it hover just above the ground when cornering is one of my pet hates. Perhaps it’s me who is out of touch as it does seem to be the fashion amongst many groups.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

papasmurf
Great Britain

stop signs

Post by papasmurf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:38 am

Cornishman wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:33 am

Seeing any motorcyclist taking their foot of the pegs and letting it hover just above the ground when cornering is one of my pet hates. Perhaps it’s me who is out of touch as it does seem to be the fashion amongst many groups.
If you are moving taking you feet off the pegs is VERY dangerous. If you happen to drop the bike the result will be at least a broken ankle of worse.

A few years ago my wife and I were camped on a very steep site. It persisted with rain overnight and we were leaving the next day.
The first few bikes off of the site fell over on the way down, (dangling feet. Hardley Dangerouses.)
That scared my wife as her VS800 Suzuki is somewhat of a lump for her 10 stone and five feet three inches tall when "off-roading" on a slippery slope.
I told her you have no brakes, keep your feet on the pegs just use the engine to slow you down and if anyone walks in front of you in theses conditions run over them.
She got off the site no problems

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

stop signs

Post by 2cvandy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:06 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:38 am
If you are moving taking you feet off the pegs is VERY dangerous. If you happen to drop the bike the result will be at least a broken ankle of worse.
best let Mr Rossi know before he hurts himself,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_yo icon_yo
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

papasmurf
Great Britain

stop signs

Post by papasmurf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:45 pm

2cvandy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:06 pm
papasmurf wrote:
2cvandy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:06 pm
papasmurf wrote:
VERY few bikers have Rossi's skills.

Andrew
New Zealand

stop signs

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 pm
Wheels stop turning for an obvious length of time. Ie count 1,2,3. On a bike, the same, but put one foot down.count,2,3.
Not a count of 2 then? Sounds like some kind of definition to me ;)

I wonder if you can be stopped for too long! :lol:

coeurdelion
France

stop signs

Post by coeurdelion » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:52 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:09 am
Cornishman wrote:

Jamstealer do you remember kick start in the 80s? Got my dad to watch it thinking he'd buy me a trial bike,didn't work so bought one anyway and kept it at a mates,still caught me on it !!!!!!!!coeurdelion