stop signs

coeurdelion
France

stop signs

Post by coeurdelion » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:45 pm

Hi just a quick one to let all members know about the "I actually stop at stop signs club" I started this club 15 yrs ago when I came to France and the membership number is still one,me !!!!! coeurdelion tappingfoot

FrancisBarnett
France

stop signs

Post by FrancisBarnett » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:54 pm

coeurdelion wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:45 pm
Hi just a quick one to let all members know about the "I actually stop at stop signs club" I started this club 15 yrs ago when I came to France and the membership number is still one,me !!!!! coeurdelion tappingfoot
But why are most of them there? Because the french state says you have to stop. No other reason. A total waste of time in my opinion.
One stop junction near us on an open country road - you can see to the left for a clear kilometre and to the right for 300 metres - so why stop if it's clear? Yeah because the law says so :evil:
Stop line junctions should only be used if the sight lines are so restricted that it would be dangerous to emerge without stopping.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

ShovelHead
Great Britain

stop signs

Post by ShovelHead » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:32 am

HI
YES SOME OF THEM ARE IN FUNNY PLACES i was touring in Czechoslovakia and we came upon a stop sign i stopped both feet down and puled away my friend slowed down and and balanced for a few seconds and pulled away within about two minutes we where pulled and my friend got a on the spot fine
over here you have to stop but i dont know if the both feet on the ground applies i normally put two feet down

coeurdelion
France

stop signs

Post by coeurdelion » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:01 am

FrancisBarnett wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:54 pm
coeurdelion wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:45 pm
But why are most of them there? Because the french state says you have to stop. No other reason. A total waste of time in my opinion.
One stop junction near us on an open country road - you can see to the left for a clear kilometre and to the right for 300 metres - so why stop if it's clear? Yeah because the law says so :evil:
Stop line junctions should only be used if the sight lines are so restricted that it would be dangerous to emerge without stopping.
So I won't be putting your name on the membership list then :D coeurdelion

papasmurf
Great Britain

stop signs

Post by papasmurf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:19 am

Stop signs in some places appear to be an alternative to priorite a droite. Grouanec in Brittany being an example. Not only is there road humps and 30kph speed limits a year or so ago they added stop signs on two junction on the through route.

Andrew
New Zealand

stop signs

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:49 am

There's stopping and then there's stopping.

I believe there's a legal definition of stopping in France (out of gear, handbrake on or - if on a motorbike, foot down??) and I wonder how many people legally stop at every stop sign. Speaking personally, I know I don't always.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

stop signs

Post by wizzard » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:53 am

There are certain ones which the cops check on regularly - I know where they are , and I stop. I certainly dont take it out of gear or put the handbrake on. I think the definition of STOP is that you are motionless for a given number of seconds - not sure how many.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

stop signs

Post by Jamstealer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:49 am

I believe there's a legal definition of stopping in France (out of gear, handbrake on or - if on a motorbike, foot down??) and I wonder how many people legally stop at every stop sign. Speaking personally, I know I don't always.
Stop simply means that. Stop. No out of gear( you wouldn’t in an auto anyway). Wheels stop turning for an obvious length of time. Ie count 1,2,3. On a bike, the same, but put one foot down.count,2,3.

GuzziGraham
England

stop signs

Post by GuzziGraham » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:46 pm

:plusone That’s what I was taught, and have never had any problems in over 40 years : icon_boohoo

papasmurf
Great Britain

stop signs

Post by papasmurf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 pm
Andrew wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:49 am

Stop simply means that. Stop. No out of gear( you wouldn’t in an auto anyway). Wheels stop turning for an obvious length of time. Ie count 1,2,3. On a bike, the same, but put one foot down.count,2,3.
That would cause me a problem on the "Royal Enfield." I rarely need to put a foot down when stopped at traffic lights. (For some reason that annoys other bikers.)