FRENCH LICENCE

Post by coeurdelion » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 pm

wizzard wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 pm
coeurdelion wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 pm
wizzard wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 am

I was told I only needed the medical at 60 if I wanted to keep the truck category - at the time I was around 58 I think. I havnt heard of anyone not getting their bike test accepted due to it being passed in the good old days when you rode around the block -the OH will be a test of this as she passed hers in these days. After I had my heart attack & quad bypass I had a notion to do a bit of drag racing - even had a GXSR looked out - so asked my dr if she would pass me as fit enough. She said yes, then asked what drag racing was, then said no!
Should have told your doctor drag racing was a load of blokes in dresses and wigs running about ,could have kept the GSXR then. The licence thing and old test was a readers story in classic bike i think but there's two sides to every story.Brought my GSXR 1100 streetfighter over when we came in 2004 but when I told the insurance it was stage 3 dyno with 140 bhp to the back wheel they also said non,desole.
The Harley dealer said I would never get my much modified Sporty French registered so I sold it before I moved over permanently.
That's a shame,all the bikes on leboncoin are standard,realise now that my cafe racer will never have French plates as it also is modified.Keep seeing different theories on the unlimited BHP some say only new models with abs and others say you cannot buy a old restricted GSXR1100 and unrestrict it ?Keep seeing the occasional cafe racer\ bobber but think maybe it's a insurance grey area,get stopped for a check or have accident then insurance is void ,not a clue coeurdelion incon_doh

Jamstealer
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Jamstealer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Licence update.
Re the one I sent off for a Brit neighbour;
I sent his application off at end of November.
Last week he got an email about heavy categories, and chose to let the C licences run out, so emailed them back,
He has just had a letter back, containing an attestation, confirming that he has a Licence in process of issue, ( which can be used if asked to produce a Licence by the police at a contrôle) and asking him to now send his original UK licence to Nantes ( accuse de réception). We will see how long it takes now to get the French Licence issued.

Cornishman
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Cornishman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm

The unrestricted rules are straightforward. As with any bike you will need proof of conformity and with that any bike that came with ABS as standard can be registered in France. Unrestricting an already registered bike would require jumping through a few hoops but if it has ABS it should be possible.
There’s probably nothing wrong with the cafe racers and bobbers that you’ve seen if the changes are only cosmetic. If any modifications have been made to the frame that would be different.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

coeurdelion
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by coeurdelion » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm
The unrestricted rules are straightforward. As with any bike you will need proof of conformity and with that any bike that came with ABS as standard can be registered in France. Unrestricting an already registered bike would require jumping through a few hoops but if it has ABS it should be possible.
There’s probably nothing wrong with the cafe racers and bobbers that you’ve seen if the changes are only cosmetic. If any modifications have been made to the frame that would be different.
Thanks for the reply cornishman,unfortunately I don't think the GSXR1100 R late 80s had abs but will see if anything similar had,New bikes aren't really my thing,unfortunately I had to slightly alter the frame on my Yamaha SR 250 cafe racer build to fit the fuel tank so might just keep it as man cave furniture when done and next one will be French reg and just cosmetics. coeurdelion icon_thanks

Andrew
New Zealand

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Womble wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm
Posted mine off end of August and got an email on Friday asking if I could send a medical report in, this apparently is if you want to keep all of the categories on your license! If you don't want to keep them all it just says let us know and you don't need a medical?
Has anyone else had this? Not bothered about keeping 7.5 tonne but still need to tow a trailer with a car, and of course the bike. Very confused about
Cat A on the gov site!
I changed my licence at a sub-prefecture around 5 years back and I was also asked for a medical cert if I wanted to retain all the default categories available on my UK licence. I wasn't going to bother initially but the lady dealing with me talked me around saying that the cost of the medical was significantly less then the cost of having to resit those categories should I ever need them. I had to agree, it was only around €25 for the medical (and the medical itself was nothing really, mainly eyesight) and took no time.

You're good to tow a light trailer (up to 750kg) on category B (and that would have been my only 'additional' requirement too) but I decided that it was worth the time and money to retain everything else I had.

Oh dear... I've just looked at my licence and I lost those categories (C1, D1, etc) in Oct 2018! They ought be renewed every 5 years.... oh well... didn't want to drive a truck anyway! I can't tow a caravan (unless under 750kg, are there any??) it seems... category BE has expired too!! :lol:

Jamstealer
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Jamstealer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:31 pm

The two licences I have been doing for people are progressing; they both were asked to send their original UK licences ( accuse de reception) . They have had the acknowledgement back, and emails to say that their licence exchange has been approved, they have been sent the French licence numbers, the approval has been sent to ANTS for the physical production of the licences. Now it's just a question of how long the production process takes.

Stella
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Stella » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:52 pm
Licence update.
Re the one I sent off for a Brit neighbour;
I sent his application off at end of November.
Last week he got an email about heavy categories, and chose to let the C licences run out, so emailed them back,
He has just had a letter back, containing an attestation, confirming that he has a Licence in process of issue, ( which can be used if asked to produce a Licence by the police at a contrôle) and asking him to now send his original UK licence to Nantes ( accuse de réception). We will see how long it takes now to get the French Licence issued.
Sounds like we need to do some chasing then as my OH and I have been waiting since Feb and June and have heard nothing other than knowing the applications have been delivered!
Mountains are for riding up and skiing down!

Jamstealer
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Jamstealer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:44 pm

It seems a bit hit and miss; though all the recent applications seem to be going through reasonably quickly; it's the older ones that seem to be stuck. Perhaps the early applications ( when they were setting up the centralised system) have got stuck on a timewarp.
My two freinds have had the emails confirming that the licences are now being physically produced in ANTS.( and they have been given their French licence number.)
Definitely worth a chase-up I think.

coeurdelion
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Not sure but wonder if there's a time difference between the old paper uk licence which some people may still have and the recent plastic photo id ones,just a thought as the categories on the plastic UK photo id are the same as the ones on the French application form.Also someone mentioned on another forum about not including the correct self addressed envelope,we all know that the French love things to be correct when it's involving paperwork.Saying that I still haven't heard anything apart from the confirmation via the telephone that they have received the application but think I am only 6 months in so probably propping the door open still !!!!! coeurdelion incon_doh

FrancisBarnett
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by FrancisBarnett » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:47 am

Womble wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm
Posted mine off end of August and got an email on Friday asking if I could send a medical report in, this apparently is if you want to keep all of the categories on your license! If you don't want to keep them all it just says let us know and you don't need a medical?
Has anyone else had this? Not bothered about keeping 7.5 tonne but still need to tow a trailer with a car, and of course the bike. Very confused about
Cat A on the gov site!
Yes - both of us have had this queried - if you don't want the 7.5 tonne category you don't need a medical and you can tow up to 3.5 tonne without a medical on a "B" car licence. Category "A" is the normal full bike licence which doesn't need a medical either.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.