wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by wizzard » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Womble wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm
Posted mine off end of August and got an email on Friday asking if I could send a medical report in, this apparently is if you want to keep all of the categories on your license! If you don't want to keep them all it just says let us know and you don't need a medical?
Has anyone else had this? Not bothered about keeping 7.5 tonne but still need to tow a trailer with a car, and of course the bike. Very confused about
Cat A on the gov site!
My OH got asked the same question about the truck category, but as she has no intention of driving a truck , she told them that. They also asked for proof of her surname (previous marriage certificate) and a copy of the titre de ermit, which she got online from DVLA.

Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Jamstealer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Yes, one of the guys I did a licence for got this. It's only if you want to keep C and D categories.

Cornishman
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Cornishman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:15 pm

The medical is no longer needed for towing.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Womble
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Womble » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks for that, not really bothered about the heavy vehicle categories so can skip the medical probably a long wait for one anyway.

coeurdelion
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by coeurdelion » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 am

Womble wrote:
Posted mine off end of August and got an email on Friday asking if I could send a medical report in, this apparently is if you want to keep all of the categories on your license! If you don't want to keep them all it just says let us know and you don't need a medical?
Has anyone else had this? Not bothered about keeping 7.5 tonne but still need to tow a trailer with a car, and of course the bike. Very confused about
Cat A on the gov site!
Hi womble,don't like to ask your age but is the medical for HGV age related? coeurdelion
Sent ours off ages ago and the wife actually spoke to them and was told they had received them so the wait continues.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by wizzard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:51 am

coeurdelion wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 am
Womble wrote:
Cat A on the gov site!
Hi womble,don't like to ask your age but is the medical for HGV age related? coeurdelion
Sent ours off ages ago and the wife actually spoke to them and was told they had received them so the wait continues.
Medical kicks in at 60.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

coeurdelion
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by coeurdelion » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Thought it was age related wizzard,mine should be okay as I'm only 54 but the wife's over 60 so if they get in touch will tell them to leave it off hers coeurdelion

ShovelHead
Great Britain

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by ShovelHead » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:53 am

HI what is the situation for camper vans it must be axle weight when in America there was a guy over 60+ and he had a Winnebago
and he was towing a small car so there may be some restrictions after brexit it must be like the open face helmet policy over here
i had a 500 doller bell helmet which was just open above the ear, like the old crommwell helmets i was pulled and had to go back home and was told
to get a new one open face for France which i did at a cost of 89 Euro made in Czechoslovakia but it had the eu label so it must be safe and meet the required standards (i think) not like the glove policy.

coeurdelion
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by coeurdelion » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:44 pm

ShovelHead wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:53 am
HI what is the situation for camper vans it must be axle weight when in America there was a guy over 60+ and he had a Winnebago
and he was towing a small car so there may be some restrictions after brexit it must be like the open face helmet policy over here
i had a 500 doller bell helmet which was just open above the ear, like the old crommwell helmets i was pulled and had to go back home and was told
to get a new one open face for France which i did at a cost of 89 Euro made in Czechoslovakia but it had the eu label so it must be safe and meet the required standards (i think) not like the glove policy.
No idea about campervan I'm afraid but sure the font of knowledge that is wizzard will know .coeurdelion

GuzziGraham
England

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by GuzziGraham » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 am

I think you will find it would depend on the MAM or GVW of the vehicle. 3500kg is the max you can drive on cat B. Go over that and you need C1 on your licence, and depending on your age a periodical medical.

Also if you drive professionally in France you will need a medical certificate as well - even if you only drive a 8 seat minibus on a cat B entitlement. After I reached 65 I needed one every year.