Merry Christmas to all

usil
United States of America

Merry Christmas to all

Post by usil » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Hey guys:

I have not posted to the forum in quite a long time. It is not that I have lost interest in biking as I still have my Honda NT700 sport touring bike parked at my British friend's large garage but I have slowed down in my old age (now almost 72). I got my start for French traveling the back roads of Normandie from listening to this forum. I am an American living in Texas and through help and many discussions came over in 2010 when I retired and bought my French bike, licensed it and insured it. So, it can be done if you are not French.

I come over every year in the summer for a month or two and spend most of my time in Normandie with two British friends one of whom is retired also. Something unfortunate happened to my friends in 2016. My retired friend and I were out putting up a large fait tent for the village when Roy started to feel very queasy. He had his hand at his heart. We were the last two people to be leaving so nobody else was near. I laid Roy down on a table and ran down the road towards a guy driving a tractor and was able to tell him we needed an ambulance tout suite. Luckily, the ambulance was stationed close by. Long story short, Roy survived but has heart damage. I did not come the following summer of 2017. My other friend had a stroke and he was only 45 years old. Luckily he too, survived and totally got better and was able to go back to work. Bad year for them.

I will be coming back to Normandie in August of 2019 and have already rented a gite near Tinchbray. I am looking forward to it but my long travel days and extended trips are over. I much prefer to puddle around the back roads and areas near the coast in short day trips. Photography is a hobby of mine so I take the camera and just head out to see what I can see. I still love smelling the air and feeling the wind and occasionally picking the bugs out of my teeth. I am not sure if Roy will ever get back on his bike. I guess we will just have to see how he is feeling next summer.

So, I thought I would let you guys know that I am not dead yet and still consider France as my second home. Hope all you guys had a great Christmas and will have a happy new year.

Usil

coeurdelion
France

Merry Christmas to all

Post by coeurdelion » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Happy holidays,sorry to hear about your biking buddies and hope they're soon back in the saddle.I live near Mont Saint Michel 50170 and if you fancy a cuppa and a chat with a fellow biker in August drop me a message and I will give you my address,if the weather's good I'll get the old bbq fired up .Ride safe coeurdelion icon_yo

Cornishman
France

Merry Christmas to all

Post by Cornishman » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:41 pm

It’s good to hear from you. I remember following your travels when you posted on the old site. icon_USA icon_france icon_USA
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Stella
France

Merry Christmas to all

Post by Stella » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:46 am

Happy Christmas and Happy Holidays!
I've always enjoyed reading your posts about your travels - and look forward to seeing some of your photos.
Best wishes for 2019.
Mountains are for riding up and skiing down!

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Merry Christmas to all

Post by wizzard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:49 am

Hi, I wondered why you had stopped posting, but a lot of people left the group around the same time so I didnt think too much about it. So, its good to hear from you again.

Its now 9 years since my big heart attack and subsequent quad bypass - still biking, but long distances and cold weather trips are no longer possible, so I do understand. Maybe Roy could get back out on a bike again for short rides, but heart troubles cause depression and a loss of self confidence which can be difficult to overcome. Maybe your visit will be just what he needs to get back on 2 wheels.

Wizz
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

usil
United States of America

Merry Christmas to all

Post by usil » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks for all the supporting comments. I actually had forgotten that the old site was not up anymore. Things change over the years so I guess we just have to keep on going on. I might take anyone up on the cuppa or a lunch somewhere. Long way off so let's see what works out this summer. It has been some years now so I am sure that a lot of new people have joined the forum. I will start browsing the forum more now and see if it stirs my blood to get back on my bike. I sold my Honda here in the states so all I have is my NT700 in Normandie. So, two years without riding. Guess that will be interesting when I hop back on. I might also sell the bike but not sure about that. Selling it would mean that there is a part of my life that is coming to an end and I am not sure I can face that. I can always rent a car when I come over but that would not be the same. I will just play it by ear. I will post a trip report I did back in 2010 when I came over for 6 months in a new post. Might be interesting for those new here.

Cornishman
France

Merry Christmas to all

Post by Cornishman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 pm

icon_thanks that would be good. We need all the posts that we can get.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

GuzziGraham
England

Merry Christmas to all

Post by GuzziGraham » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:13 am

icon_Hi ya! & icon_welcom back Usil,

Don’t sell the bike age is not a reason to stop riding kneedown I will be over at our place in August. It’s not far from where you are renting so if you fancy a slow ride out with another pensioner on a smallish bike contact me.

ChrisD
France

Merry Christmas to all

Post by ChrisD » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 am

Good to hear from you again Usil, all the best for the new Year to you and your friends.
UTC

kitcarman
England

Merry Christmas to all

Post by kitcarman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:30 am

Belated seasons greetings, what is the story behind your name on the site? I went over to three wheels, just a small move away from motor bi cycle, to tri. Works well for me. Planning a trip to Italy, later in the year. So its as much in the mind, the feeling of age. Take a step back to review whats real. Good luck.