French Nationality

yorkie
Donator
Donator
Great Britain

French Nationality

Post by yorkie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:05 am

After 25 years serving Queen and country, I went to the "Pole Emploi" After going through my service record, they decided that even though I was qualified to take charge of a Nuclear Submarine, and being a ships diving officer the only thing they could find that equated to the french scene was a "plongeur". (the one who works in the sink in a restaurant).

So two years National Service would suit me.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

French Nationality

Post by wizzard » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 am

yorkie wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:05 am
After 25 years serving Queen and country, I went to the "Pole Emploi" After going through my service record, they decided that even though I was qualified to take charge of a Nuclear Submarine, and being a ships diving officer the only thing they could find that equated to the french scene was a "plongeur". (the one who works in the sink in a restaurant).

So two years National Service would suit me.
When I went to the Pole Emploi after my heart attack/quad bypass, and showing them my CV (Surveyor/draughstman, fireman, then 30 years in financial services and banking), she decided I was best suited to picking apples!

Did you ever meet a guy on the Nuke subs called Dave Evans (MBE). An old mate of mine, sadly no longer with us.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Cornishman
France

French Nationality

Post by Cornishman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:20 am

I knew an RAF Education officer who had been a submariner before changing services. There was a short period of time between him leaving the Navy and joining the RAF and had been advised to pay his NI stamp during this period. He went to the local unemployment office to find out the practical details and they insisted that he had to bring his CV. After studying it in great detail and multiple conversations with other people in other offices he was told that, given his degrees in Nuclear Physics and engineering, it was unlikely that they would be able to find him any suitable employment in the short term. He said it was almost impossible for them to understand that he had a job to go to and only wanted an answer to what he had hoped would be a basic question.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

yorkie
Donator
Donator
Great Britain

French Nationality

Post by yorkie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:11 am

wizzard wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 am
Did you ever meet a guy on the Nuke subs called Dave Evans (MBE). An old mate of mine, sadly no longer with us.
Sorry, not that I can remember.

But it was dark a lot of the time! :lol:

Jamstealer
France

French Nationality

Post by Jamstealer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:20 am
I knew an RAF Education officer who had been a submariner before changing services. There was a short period of time between him leaving the Navy and joining the RAF and had been advised to pay his NI stamp during this period. He went to the local unemployment office to find out the practical details and they insisted that he had to bring his CV. After studying it in great detail and multiple conversations with other people in other offices he was told that, given his degrees in Nuclear Physics and engineering, it was unlikely that they would be able to find him any suitable employment in the short term. He said it was almost impossible for them to understand that he had a job to go to and only wanted an answer to what he had hoped would be a basic question.
A chap who worked in my department in Defence Science took early retirement. After awhile he decided to earn a few extra quid, got himself a part time job in a small firm, doing office administration stuff. After a couple of weeks he realised that everything could be reorganised much more efficiently, so he went off to the owner with a fairly detailed plan.
The owner got a bit arsey, didn’t like an employee showing him how stuff could be done better;
“ who do you think touvare, telling me how to run my business? You’re not a f****ing rocket scientist!”
“ Errm.. well actually that’s exactly what I am.... !”
icon_loopy