Carte de séjour

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Carte de séjour

Post by Jamba » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Now then, I had hoped to be living in another country by now, but that hasn't happened so I started the process of getting a Carte de séjour.

The prefecture in La Rochelle has given me an appointment for Nov 20th 2019

Anyone know if its possible to use a prefecture that is not in your region and preferably that has no Brits in it? :mrgreen:

papasmurf
Great Britain

Carte de séjour

Post by papasmurf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:47 pm

This may be of use to someone, especially the minimum income requirement:-

https://www.remaininfrance.org/carte-de-sejour.html

GuzziGraham
England

Carte de séjour

Post by GuzziGraham » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:32 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:47 pm
especially the minimum income requirement:-

Very interesting reading - if I was relying on my state pension alone it would not be enough !! Also my spouse (wife), is below state retirement age so I wonder how that will be calculated?

https://www.remaininfrance.org/carte-de-sejour.html

Andrew
New Zealand

Carte de séjour

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:16 pm

RIFT is a good source. They've got a team of folk there that are able to process the info, weed out the rubbish, gossip, scaremongering, and hearsay and present it all back logically and clearly. I admire what they do greatly and have been relying upon them to keep me in the picture. That all said, they cannot - with the best will in the world - take into account regional variation, something that we all read in all matters of French bureaucracy, be it CdS or registering a car etc.

For example, I read conflicting advice/experience re the justification of resources (for the inactif) I've read that the regs say that anyone in France for 5 years already doesn't need a juscatif to get a CdS, however it seems that, in practice, some/many/most people are being asked for it nonetheless.

Suffice it to say that I'm going to my interview prepared for either (and any?) eventuality... and prepared equally to not have something that they 'need'... my 25m breaststroke certificate for instance. :lol:
Last edited by Andrew on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

coeurdelion
France

Carte de séjour

Post by coeurdelion » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 am

Same here Jamba our appointment is slightly earlier in June 2019 but as most people are saying no one knows,there are guidelines as papasmurf has kindly pointed out but everyone has different circumstances,me and my wife have been here full time since 2004,both registered and working,my wife has now officially retired and gets UK pension ,I still work,she is 65,I am 53 ,were married,we both have small private pensions also,so our situation is totally different to others and until we are sat down in front of a official looking french administrative person were not worrying .After brexit we might not need to go to the RDV depending on what deal is struck ,I personally think that if you are in a financial position where you are not in need of help from the French state they won't be a problem,at the end of the day even if every one of the 1000s of foreigners living in france pays €100 a year in taxes it's a big chunk into the system.coeurdelion
Last edited by coeurdelion on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornishman
France

Carte de séjour

Post by Cornishman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:59 am

You do have to go through the prefecture in your own department so it’s best to find out exactly what paperwork they require. All the evidence suggests that the French authorities are keen to make the process as straightforward as possible but as they have been overwhelmed by applications they are having to adapt. Here in the Vienne you now register your intention to apply for a CdS by email and they reply telling you that they will let you know what and when to take the next step. In fact they haven’t actually explained what the next step will be. Next door in the Charente it’s different again, applicants are asked to post copies of a few documents, I believe that they will be invited to a rendezvous when appropriate. Strangely the list of documents that the Charente is asking for is very short. In fact many prefectures have complained that they have been provided with too much unnecessary paperwork which wastes time and resources. In some quieter prefectures it’s possible to walk in off the street, take a ticket, wait and have your paperwork processed. Everyone who has an appointment or shown their intent to apply for a CdS will be treated like those people who have already been processed, they will not be penalised if their application is made after Brexit.
In my experience the process is not working against those people who were worried; people who’s income is very low or those who’ve forgotten to do tax returns over the years, I’ve met people in those positions who are already happily holding a new CdS.
As mentioned RIFT is a good source of information but it’s worth double checking what they say, they have been known to read what they want to hear rather than exactly what a government statement actually says at times.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Carte de séjour

Post by wizzard » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:22 am

Andrew wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:16 pm
RIFT is a good source. They've got a team of folk there that are able to process the info, weed out the rubbish, gossip, scaremongering, and hearsay and present it all back logically and clearly. I admire what they do greatly and have been relying upon them to keep me in the picture. That all said, they cannot - with the best will in the world - take into account regional variation, something that we all read in all matters of French bureaucracy, be it CdS or registering a car etc.

For example, I read conflicting advice/experience re the justification of resources (for the inactif) I've read that the regs say that anyone in France for 5 years already doesn't need a juscatif to get a CdS, however it seems that, in practice, some/many/most people are being asked for it nonetheless.

Suffice it to say that I'm going to my interview prepared for either (and any?) eventuality... and prepared equally to not have something that they 'need'... my 25m breaststroke certificate for instance. :lol:
I had to prove all my sources of income - French and UK.
Remember and take your dog licence too - you just never know what they will ask for!!
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Carte de séjour

Post by Jamba » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:30 pm

coeurdelion wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 am
Same here Jamba our appointment is slightly earlier in June 2019...
Similar to you. Been here since 2001. Income is now derived from Uk state pension and German pension for both of us and a beer-money pension for me from France.
I have all the docs they (Charente list), require.
I think I might have upset them by saying I could be dead by the time my rdv comes round :mrgreen:

coeurdelion
France

Carte de séjour

Post by coeurdelion » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Jamba wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:30 pm
coeurdelion wrote:
Similar to you. Been here since 2001. Income is now derived from Uk state pension and German pension for both of us and a beer-money pension for me from France.
I think I might have upset them by saying I could be dead by the time my rdv comes round :mrgreen:
Don't think that it will be a worry for us long stayers,the French government don't seem to be in a rush to process us and judging by the time for appointments don't have the man power to do so.If they have to look at every english person who moved to France since the entry into the EU it will take years,probably knowing the French system they will say if you've been here for 5yrs or over we will just send a carte de sejour out!!!!coeurdelion

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Carte de séjour

Post by wizzard » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:14 pm

coeurdelion wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:17 pm
Jamba wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:30 pm
coeurdelion wrote:
Don't think that it will be a worry for us long stayers,the French government don't seem to be in a rush to process us and judging by the time for appointments don't have the man power to do so.If they have to look at every english person who moved to France since the entry into the EU it will take years,probably knowing the French system they will say if you've been here for 5yrs or over we will just send a carte de sejour out!!!!coeurdelion
Cant see them just sending out a CdS - you have to prove your income meets their minimum requirements. I think if the application is in the system before 30 March it will be OK. Some prefectures are still saying brits dont need a CdS despite what the official advice is, so its not the fault of these brits affected by this poor advice if they dont have a CdS.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................