What was your best motor cycles.

kitcarman
England

Post by kitcarman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:42 pm

I have had some beauties, a 650 BSA lightning, went like lightning in the first three gears, very reliable, sold really easy when the time came to move on. A Goldwing 1200, could that thing motor in a straight line, a bit less so on the twisty, drank juice like it was going out of fashion. But great fun. A little cb 250 honda. Just the job getting around central London and the suburbs, hardly seem to need any go juice, another one that found a new home easily. Fj 1200 became a great bike after getting sorted out by Phil at the Fj club. My all time long term favourite was my moto guzzi T3. Another bike improved after being breathed on by Amadeus Castallni from the spares and repairs, not sure about the spelling of his name (forgive me if it's wrong) a Triumph Tigress 250 twin scooter, great fun, took holidays two up on it. That will do for starters. Happy riding to everyone.

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:06 pm

As I didn't get back into biking til my forties I've not had a wide range of bikes but the one that had me smiling most was my VFR750. Easy to handle, very forgiving and for me it felt like shit off a shovel. Only moving to Crete made me sell it for a more useful Africa Twin which was a great bike but just lacking that wow factor.

UTC

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Easy question - my Harley Dyna 1600. I've owned it over 10 years now, and its far and away my favourite out of 100+ bikes I've owned. I loved my BMW R80GS (1984) and I've no idea why I sold it. Oddly, today I looked through a uk website to see if any of my old bikes are still on the road. Out of all the ones where I knew the reg number, only 3 are still on the road - my custom Harley, a BM R100RT, and a little Suzy Savage 650 I only owned for a couple of months.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Giscard
Donator
Donator
England

Post by Giscard » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:14 pm

For me my best is my most modern bike which is my 1998 Honda VFR800, which is now just over 20 years old. I have never needed to replace a bulb in all that time.
BIKE.JPG
However my favourite is still my 1960 Velocette Venom. It's not fast, doesn't accelerate quickly, has appalling brakes, but I would never sell it. It is a bike that always gets a lot of interest whenever it is parked up.
dscf0010a.jpg

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 pm

Honda CB400F.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:56 pm

Love the Velocette with the fishtail, didn't know you had that gem Giscard, the only thing that could be superior is a Brough. icon_yo
UTC

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:15 am

I've a soft spot for the Suzuki GT185 I had after a few years on trail bikes. Kind of like a first true love.

My fave has to be my first Yam Thundercat (I've had 2). I really clicked with that bike, it did all I ever wanted at that time. I had a VFR400 which I liked a helluva lot, despite it's total impracticality for every day use, but the 'cat wins hands down overall.

SimonW
Donator
Donator
France

Post by SimonW » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am

It's hard to single one out - there have been so many!
Honda CB750K2 - so good I bought a second one after the first 'went missing'
Honda CB1100RB - seemed like an absolute missile at the time (early 80s). Brought out the hooligan in me
Ducati 900SD Darmah - built from bits in boxes - a labour of love. Had it been mine, I would probably still have it
Honda CBR600FK - Bought in an auction for £670, ridden all over Europe for 3 years and 30,000 miles, sold for £730. Super-reliable, fast enough, cheap as chips, fugly.
Ducati 853 - 'The best bike Ducati never made.' Iconic design, super-quick, wonderful soundtrack, prone to eating big-end shells for lunch (especially at the Nurburgring).
Ducati 996 - Beautiful. The bike I most regret selling, but I didn't have the funds or the space to run it as well as my race bike and a two-up tourer, so something had to go
Honda CBR900RR2 - bought mainly for lapping the Nurburgring when the 996 no longer seemed fast enough, but very capable in every respect. Had to go when I started racing
Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird - Great two-up mile-muncher, massively powerful engine. No ABS, so couldn't bring it to France
Ducati MTS1200S Touring - The biggest grin factor of any bike I've ever owned. Far too easy to go far too fast. Lost faith in its reliability.

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

Post by 2cvandy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:02 pm

My mother-in-law once asked me how many bikes I'd owned,,,,,,,,,,,
I had to write a list coz there were so many, over two sheets of A4,,,,,,,,,,,,
so favourites are hard to pin down, especially as I've really enjoyed em all at the time,,,,,,
but these few stand out as "special",,,,,,

!973 Yamaha SS (how could I leave out my 1st love).
1977 CX 500 (my 1st "big" bike, must have made an impression, I've had 4 more since, still have one now).
1986 Moto Guzzi California 11 (if I hadn't got fed up of stopping to pick bits of it up from the roadside I might have kept that one).
1992 Harley FLHS (8 years and 45,000 trouble free miles).
1987 Transalp 600 (bought 4 years ago as a winter bike, I've added 25,000km to the clock so far, one of the best "do anything" bikes available).
2004 Sportster 1200 Custom (after 30 years with Big Twin HDs I decided to downsize, brilliant fun and a surprisingly good tourer).
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped