papasmurf
Great Britain

Macron turning nasty about a hard Brexit

Post by papasmurf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:54 am

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:36 am

Nothing unpleasant or new there. The French Government is preparing for Brexits of many colours and this is highlighting the problems faced. For example there has never been any doubt that U.K. citizens resident in France will need some sort of CdS once they are no longer E.U. citizens and it has always been pointed out that a worst case scenario is that all visitors from Britain may require a visa. The report is yet another example of the effect that cherry picking can have. The full text, in French, is readily available online.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:48 am

Cornishman wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:36 am
Nothing unpleasant or new there. The French Government is preparing for Brexits of many colours and this is highlighting the problems faced. For example there has never been any doubt that U.K. citizens resident in France will need some sort of CdS once they are no longer E.U. citizens and it has always been pointed out that a worst case scenario is that all visitors from Britain may require a visa. The report is yet another example of the effect that cherry picking can have. The full text, in French, is readily available online.
Have you a link to the full text in French please?

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:38 am

Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:42 am

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:17 pm

After being ridiculed by many Brits I've met over the last couple of years when I suggested a Carte de Sejour would be a good idea ( as recently as our forum meet at the Soleil Couchant), maybe now the doubters (it will all be fine, no one is going to kick out the brits, they need us, etc) will realise that a CdS woould be a good idea. I feel sorry for various friends of mine would have been here 25 years plus, with successful businesses, paying tax , raising children, but as their health goes downhill along with their profits, they find they have less than the minimim income to qualify. :( :(
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Seems to me like stating the obvious - or rather putting into (draft) legislation - it's the simplest course of action (as far as French legislative changes are concerned anyway) A kind of 'backstop' position (to use a hot topic phrase) if you will and it makes perfect sense to me.

That's not to say, of course, that a new bilateral agreement couldn't be made conferring rights of residence etc to the French in the UK and to Brits in France. I could see that happening (in the event of a hard Brexit)

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06 pm

I would like to see such a bilateral agreement happening, but given May and Co's recent performance I would put it past them to cock that up too. :(
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Nothing nasty about it at all. He is merely stating the facts of the consequences of the Brexit vote and the possibility ( actually the certainty) of a hard Brexit crash out.
The reality is that the French have worked out what is going to happen.
They have quite clearly stated that ( within the law as it stands) they will do their best to mitigate the consequences on those of us who are living here and committed to continuing to do so. But on 29/03/19 we become 3rd party nationals. We now have to accept the same conditions as any other non-EU nationals ( eg Australians, Septics, etc) There is no other way round it, unless the UK does

The fact that they are coping with the carte de Séjour issue; and are throwing more resources at the naturalisation process, shows that they value us individually as residents and potential citizens, and can separate us as individuals from the behaviour of our government.

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:34 am

Typical excuses heard and seen recently:-

"it's no good getting a resident card now they will be invalid after brexit, so all the people who are getting them are wasting their time!"
"It's a five hour round trip to my prefecture so I won't bother"
"I've paid all my taxes and got a french driving licence - they can get all the information from that" ( :?: )
"I run a business so I don't need one"
"But there is nothing official about getting a card yet so I'm not bothered"

And the prize goes to the best (or worst?) :-
" I am going to wait until I am contacted by the French as regards my status. I am going to let them worry about it."

It'll be interesting to see what happens after next March - who knows?
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.