Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:57 pm
Like this one perhaps? I'm not surprised it puts them off! :D
temperance.JPG
You could not be more wrong:-

Cornishman
France

80kph on rural roads with no central barrier from today

Post by Cornishman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 am

Apparently just to confuse people there will be sections of road, often where it’s two lanes in one direction and one in the other where the limit will be posted at 90 as they are considered ‘non-dangerous’ to aid traffic flow.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:17 am

On the airport run yesterday I was using long straight roads - I turned onto one and sat just around 85 -I wasnt catching up with the truck in front, but the one behind was catching me. Later I was in a snake of traffic stuck at 80, and when anyone decided to overtake they were only doing 85 so were on the wrong side of the road for a long time.
The day before I had to go to Limoges, and took the Harley and wore my gendarme look a like jacket - all the traffic sitting at 80 or less pulled over and let me pass - a nice quick run with no delays.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Giscard
Donator
Donator
England

Post by Giscard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:08 am

Must get a gendarme look a like jacket. Many, many years ago in the UK a friend used to wear a white helmet with the word "polite" written in large letters. It used to get car drivers to move over and to slow down. However, he was stopped one day by the police who looked at his helmet and told him to stop taking the piss, or words to that effect.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:20 pm

The jacket was pure co-incidence - bought at a Scottish bike show about 20 years ago. It wasnt until I came here that I notice the similarity. Effective even on the Harley, it was much better when I had my white Honda PC800!

Speaking of the PC800, I used to commute 80 miles a day on a white one, into Edinburgh via a mix of minor roads then endless miles of double lane queues. I wore a white helmet, police type jacket, and the bike looked a lot like a Pan, so the traffic used to move over as I filtered through. But a lot of the people I passed were in the same queue at the same time every day, and soon worked out I wasnt a cop, so used to try and block me.

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Jamba » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Giscard wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:08 am
Many, many years ago in the UK a friend used to wear a white helmet with the word "polite" written in large letters.
With some people, all their taste is in their gobs.

kitcarman
England

Post by kitcarman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Who goes to a library now days, on fire or not?

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Just rode back from the UK, mainly on autoroutes but finished on the N147. Just before the 80 limit ends heading north to poitiers I noticed a new speed camera, quelle surprise! I tried it and 80 felt ridiculously slow after the motorways, even in the rain though with a UK clock it is easier to keep it there at 50 than at 56 mph. I think it's now just a case of spotting all the new cameras before reverting to norm.
UTC

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

Post by 2cvandy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Had to nip down to Le Mans this aft, because some idle b*stard currier driver couldn't be arsed to find my house so he left the parcel at the depot with a note to say the address was "incomplete". Of course when I picked up the parcel there was my full address quite clear on the shipping label, oh well, what's 2 hours out of my day and an 80 mile round trip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But I digress,
just for fun, I stuck the cruise control on 80kph (and yes, the signs approaching the speed cameras have been changed) and watched the steady flow of traffic stream past me on the long, straight, flat road to Le Mans (what did the Romans ever do for us?).
Even when we got to the 5 kilometre stretch of fresh gravillons, the stream of overtaking vehicles continued, showering gravel in all directions,,,,,,, which was nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But I have the answer to keeping my licence in tact, this is my latest two wheel purchase,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
flat out in 4th gear is 80kph, then you can drop it into 5th (to reduce the screaming just a smidgen) and unless you're headed down a steep hill the speed stays at 80. Parfait, n'est pas?

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:20 pm

IMGP4198.JPG
2cvandy wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:57 pm
Had to nip down to Le Mans this aft, because some idle b*stard currier driver couldn't be arsed to find my house so he left the parcel at the depot with a note to say the address was "incomplete". Of course when I picked up the parcel there was my full address quite clear on the shipping label, oh well, what's 2 hours out of my day and an 80 mile round trip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But I digress,
just for fun, I stuck the cruise control on 80kph (and yes, the signs approaching the speed cameras have been changed) and watched the steady flow of traffic stream past me on the long, straight, flat road to Le Mans (what did the Romans ever do for us?).
Even when we got to the 5 kilometre stretch of fresh gravillons, the stream of overtaking vehicles continued, showering gravel in all directions,,,,,,, which was nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But I have the answer to keeping my licence in tact, this is my latest two wheel purchase,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
flat out in 4th gear is 80kph, then you can drop it into 5th (to reduce the screaming just a smidgen) and unless you're headed down a steep hill the speed stays at 80. Parfait, n'est pas?

I had the same idea about 4 wheels Andy. The crazy Caterham 7 has gone, to be replaced by a 1950 Peugeot 203. A heavy tank of a car (there slogan when new was "built to last") with a heady 1250cc which when new could take it to 115km, but the only way it will do that now is if I drop in the 403 engine to boost power by a shockig 15 bhp. But speeding could still be a question as the speedo wavers around a lot - impossible to even guess a speed - so I've fitted a hidden connection for the GPS and will open the glove box to see what speed I'm really doing.
IMGP4199.JPG