Breton farming as it used to be.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 am

I just had a pleasant surprise this morning a news item on BBC that shows a farm I had the privilege of visiting 10 years as part of a ride out with a Breton nationalist pagan biker's club. ( I have memories I will treasure, but the club is now defunct.)
How the farm visit was arranged I don't know because it is a home not a tourist attraction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-43113400

I have just found this video:-

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjARW8pB_a0[/BBvideo]

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 am

I read the same story on the BBC News site. Fascinating.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:21 am

Cornishman wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 am
I read the same story on the BBC News site. Fascinating.
The problem with the visit I did to the farm was as the president of bikers club said to me:- "Papasmurf we will have to leave shortly or we will be here for days." (The bottles of the farmers home brewed cider started to appear on the tables as well as the home made bread, butter, cheese and charcuterie.)

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 am

There’s a family near me where the family consisted of eight siblings although there are only three or four still alive now and they are in their late 80s, early 90s. Only one, one of the two women, married and left the family home. This first time I visited their house it was like walking into a Beatrice Potter illustration. There were hams hanging from the beams, their only tap was fed directly from a nearby spring and because their cooker was broken their only source of heating and cooking was the open fire. The 19 Century scene was spoiled by their having a satellite dish on the roof, a huge TV and a beautiful Siamese cat that looked out of place. My neighbour who has known them all her life often comments that when the last member of that family dies it will be like closing a chapter on living history. Unfortunately we don’t live in an apple growing area so there is no cider although some o& the local homemade Pineau has a kick.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Breninfrance
England

Post by Breninfrance » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 pm

it's very backwards here! my neighbour closed the door on his fathers workshop when his father died, it's like a museum! he used to make wooden soled clogs, and it's all in there, including clogs at every stage of manufacture!

another almost neighbour lives in an old farm house, he is in his 80's I have never seen anything like it, a bare concrete floor the room contains a wood stove, two mismatched chairs, a sink, a pompiers calender, a clock, and a flat screen tv, I swear there is nothing else in there! the walls have certainly never been painted in his lifetime

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:05 pm

It’s very backwards (sic) in my house too. No central heating, no fitted carpets, no satellite TV, no en-suite bathrooms, no fancy coffee machines and I’m probably missing quite a few of the other must have items that others feel they couldn’t live without. At the end of the day it suits me and living in a place where there is no pressure to keep up with your neighbours is one of the reasons that I chose to live here.