New bike, Uk reg, want to reg in. France

firmbutton
France

Post by firmbutton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09 am

Hi peeps, just bought a new (2017) bike in the Uk, the v5c is in the name of the dealer. I have it in France now and have just sorted the French insurance and now need to sort the i matriculation.
With the recent changes, do I still need a cert of conformity as it’s so modern? What do I need to do?

Thanks peeps,

FB

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:22 am

Check out this thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1878

They don't ask for a CoC when you start the online process but as you will see in the thread they've just asked me for one.
UTC

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:04 pm

How many months old is it? If it’s less than 6 months you will have to pay tax in France then reclaim the tax paid in the UK..
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Also, if you got the bike new the dealer should give you a CoC, no charge.
UTC

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Needs to be + 6 months old and/or + 6000km on the clock to avoid tax.
( 6 months after date of first registration on the V5, that is).

firmbutton
France

Post by firmbutton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:29 pm

What tax are you saying there is to pay, yes it is brand new but it was a show bike so was registered to the dealer. It is about 3 months old. Should I hold off starting the process until I’m over the 6 months then?

Regarding the coc, the dealer said there was a charge....

FB

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:36 pm

If an imported vehicle is less than 6 months old/6000 Km's; then you have to pay the TVA( french VAT) on the value of the vehicle . And then try to claim it back from UK ( which is almost impossible to do - HMRC are seriously useless and obstructive).
So don't start registering it until it's 6 months/6000 Km's point.
Tell the dealer to give you the f******g CoC; It already exists; otherwise, as a new vehicle, It can't be registered in UK. Don't take any sh*t from these asshats.

firmbutton
France

Post by firmbutton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks jamstealer, do you have any amo for demanding a coc, ie is there any eu legislation that states we should have a copy gratis?

Cheers

Steve

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:53 pm

There is not ( as far as I am aware) any legislation, as such, butcevery vehiclecregistered in thecEU must have a CoC in order for the manufacturer to register it. So a new vehicle will have one which either the dealer uses to register it, or the manufacturer uses to register it on behalf of the dealer. So it exists ( and is on a database).
And thé CoC ( when they send you a copy) is simpyba database entry ( with a facsimile signature of the authorised person on it.
So in reality, all they have to do is open the database, enter your VIN, and press print. The UK headquarters of the manufacturer has the access to the database. Lots of manufacturers charge for this; some don't ( eg Triumph, Volkswagen send it by post and by email. My Triumph one arrived by email while I was still talking to Hinkley on the phone, VW sent one within 24 hours by email.)
Volvo dealers include a copy with the car's documentation when you buy it. Actually most dealers include a copy with the documents of a new car. My 3rd hand French VW still had one in the glove compartment. It seems to be a british disease to ignore them.
Jut try to not let them give you a load of waffle. There is nothing legal to say they cant charge ; but they are ripping you off. It is, at most, 10 minutes work to print one and a postage stamp to send it

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:06 pm

I've not found any legislation but I'm fairly sue first owners can get one as right. As you are deemed 2nd owner perhaps that is why they want to charge. Having said that I boughtt a triumph 2nd hand and the dealer quite happily got me a coc free of charge. He said it was no problem.
UTC