Bugs in yer teeth.....

Hal
Ireland

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by Hal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:29 am

.....seems there are vastly fewer flying insects this year.

In fact it is looking as though we have reached a tipping-point as far as flying insects are concerned. You have probably noticed as I have that the windscreen has had far less insect debris collecting on it this summer? It seems that in fact a sudden acceleration of flying insect depletion has started......and it's not good news.

The question is, what is causing it, and there may be several major factors, and what, if anything, can we as individuals actually do to redress the balance?

For anyone who can't see any reason to be concerned, if flying insects are allowed to die out more or less completely, we will starve, as they are essential for crop pollination.

It's probable that industrial scale use of herbicides and insecticides such as the new neonicotinoids are major contenders, along with hedgerow removal....

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -107037703

Some interesting insights in this docco....

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fbvquHSPJU[/BBvideo]

And if you've ever wondered why people like Monsanto seem to have so much power.....check this ...scroll down to "Who controls WTO?" WTO being World Trade Organisation.....https://www.globalresearch.ca/wto-gmo-a ... nance/2202
Last edited by Hal on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisD
France

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by ChrisD » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 am

To be honest I can't say I've noticed a general dimunition either on the bike or in the house, I've been bitten just as much if not more and my helmet always needs a good clean after a ride. What I have noticed is a lot more midges towards the end of summer. I rode into a cloud of them recently and my visor was a mass of black specs (not to mention the bike). There have been fewer wasps and bees though who do their bit for pollination.
UTC

Hal
Ireland

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by Hal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 am

If you read the article on the first link you'll see that a long term study in Germany has demonstrated a 75% decrease in flying insects since the 1990s. https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -107037703

I may have posted the wrong link in the last post...just checked and the link leads to a page in the long reader comments pages that follow the article....sorry...now changed.

yorkie
Donator
Donator
Great Britain

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by yorkie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:19 am

During our trip through Norway, Sweden and Finland this year, we saw virtually no insects on our helments or windscreen. In Finland we were in the area called land of the 1000 lakes. I was expecting Scotland like swarms, but nothing.

Cornishman
France

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by Cornishman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 am

There have been more flies than usual in my area this year by far and there are more bees around the flowering plants than normal but in general the bike hasn't collected too many dead insects. Mind you when I went out to the north of La Vienne about 10 days ago if came back plastered.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Breninfrance
England

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by Breninfrance » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:31 am

I've just completed a run to Catalogne around and back, and to be honest the bugs were fairly absent, apart from the late evening ride from Clermont to Millau, then I got utterly plastered!!
is it not just because it's the end of bug season? in August I could barely see through my visor for bug splats

Hal
Ireland

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by Hal » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:49 pm

I've definitely noticed fewer on the windscreen, and seen zero of the beautiful hummingbird hawkmoths we used to get, or dragonflies.

I don't see anything wrong with the science in this study though, and if something isn't done to stop the trend, the line on the graph shows that in 15 to 20 years, or less, there could be "no flying insects left" quote.

Which would be a bad thing!

Breninfrance
England

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by Breninfrance » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm not disagreeing with your worries!
I'm fully aware that we can't wipe out mozzie bastards, as much as we hate them and the diseases they can carry, they are an important part of the eco system, remove them and whatever ate them starves, and so on and so on, butterflywings I think it is called? or at least referred to!
I am seriously allergic to bee stings, however due to their decline I am thinking of having a hive in the far corner of the garden, mine wife will have to of course tend to it, and mow near it :lol:

Cornishman
France

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by Cornishman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:47 pm

We've had, in fact have still got plenty of humming bird hawk moths around. What I haven't seen all year is a hornet. We've also been hit hard by the pyrale things that have destroyed most of the local box hedges.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Bugs in yer teeth.....

Post by wizzard » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Seen plenty humming bird moths, and a few hornets but not as many as usual. For some reason they seem to like the ivy growing up the electric pole in my garden, which happens to be pretty close to my garage door.
As for bees, my OH has been studying up on the importance of bees to our habitat, so next month we are putting in a new orchard, and next spring a couple of hives. Its going to be her hobby, but I've been told I'll need to get a bee suit too. Hmmmmm. Not sure about that.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................