Free mobile contract problems?

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:38 pm

I can't believe the stuff that Free are capable of dishing out.

I had a very bad experience with them back in 2005 or so and stopped using their service...we had a professional contract as we were running a business at the time.

The service crashed for no known reason, we had zero contact from them and no explanation, no phones, no internet for around 4 days as I recall.

Not good when you are trying to run a business.

There was no apology or explanation forthcoming.

We duly sent them a termination of contract letter in the correct terms, they received it and sent the slip back.

A year later, we discovered that they had continued helping themselves to the monthly abonnement from our account.

We stopped future payments via the bank.

They then spent a year sending us Huissier's demands that we pay "the money owed" as we had terminated payments. This continued, there were threats to take us to court for the non payments for the service they knew we had cancelled.

It then turned out this was no isolated incident, in fact there were thousands of people pursuing a group action against them in France, for exactly the same thing.!

I should have signed up for this but couldn't be arsed, it was 'only' about 150€ they had stolen...

I was recently persuaded to get a Free mobile phone abonnement......and on 14 September I had a mail from them with my new phone number (I had chosen it from a shortlist) and my id and password.

On my user space online, it showed that my line wasn't yet activated.

After three weeks wait, the sim card still hadn't arrived, so last Saturday I rang them.

Spent the usual 8 minutes listening to self congratulatory tapes before a real human was available.

She said the sim "must be lost in the post" and would send a new one which "should arrive Monday"

I thought this a tad unlikely.

It finally arrived this morning, (Friday), and I had to go to my user space online to enter a 19 digit code found on the back of the card.

I did this, and then pressed 'activate number' and received confirmation that the number had been activated.

An hour later, I wanted to check it was working ok so tried to send my wife a test sms.

The screen showed that there was a problem. It was impossible to use the line.

Went to my user space and was informed 'carte sim resilié'.

I most certainly didn't 'resilié' the bloody thing.....what can be going on?

I've tried phoning them again, after fighting through their call system I was told,after 7 minutes wait, "due to the large number of calls, please ring later...."after which I was cut off.

If I still had a fax machine, I'd fax them.....
Last edited by Hal on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:58 pm

tried ringing again....told "waiting time will be no more than 10 minutes" then, they tell you to "ring back later" after making you wait over 8 minutes.

Useless bloody rabble...

Does anyone know of a cheap contract with someone competent?

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Why on earth anyone uses Free is beyond me.
Orange has a huge range of mobile options; plus all the internet + mobile combinations.
Have always responded to problems quickly; and you can walk into any of their shops and deal face to face, if you don't want to spend ages on the phone.

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Yeah I know, I know....we are on Orange for the ligne fixe.

I used Orange before, but this Free contract costs a whopping 2 euros a month, sms illimité, and more actual call time than I'll use, so "what's to not like?"

Don't answer that!

In the end I went into Limoges where the Free shop is 30m uphill from the Orange shop, and a charming young blonde manageress fiddled with it and lo...it works.

Most peculiar.