Engineer

papasmurf
Great Britain

Engineer

Post by papasmurf » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:17 pm

nev wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 pm
Wow real engineering. Does the scanner work better on its side? and is the attached motorcycle powerful enough for the electromagnets employed by said scanner?
I tipped the CX500 and sidecar up in the air like that because it was easier to fit something back on the CX500 like that. (I can't remember what.)

john
France

Engineer

Post by john » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 pm

I wish to god i had never told anyone around me i was an engineer my life's not my own

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Engineer

Post by wizzard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:01 am

Its the same curse when you can fix / register cars and bikes. Total strangers turn up with an old strimmer/chainsaw/bike/car - saying they met someone in a bar who said I would do it for them. Most dont even expect to pay - how many times have I heard "its only changing the headlights, it shouldnt take you long!"

The anser is alway no nowadays I'm afraid, unless its for friends.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

Engineer

Post by Dragon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:52 pm

wizzard wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:01 am
Its the same curse when you can fix / register cars and bikes. Total strangers turn up with an old strimmer/chainsaw/bike/car - saying they met someone in a bar who said I would do it for them. Most dont even expect to pay - how many times have I heard "its only changing the headlights, it shouldnt take you long!"

The anser is alway no nowadays I'm afraid, unless its for friends.

Could you nip round to Cambridgeshire Wizzard because we are friends.......one of my bulbs has blown in the house and needs replacing, icon_Hi ya!
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Engineer

Post by wizzard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:48 pm

No probs Gwyn - I'll change the bulb for free, but have to charge a grand for expenses. :P :P

Jamstealer
France

Engineer

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:58 pm

wizzard wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:48 pm
No probs Gwyn - I'll change the bulb for free, but have to charge a grand for expenses. :P :P
Reminds me of the story of an old fashioned factory that was taken over by new management who didnt understand real engineering. They made all the old hands redundant. It wasn't long before
one of their multimillion dollar machines broke down. They tried everything and everyone else to get the machine to work but to no avail. In desperation, they called on one of the retired engineers who had solved so many of their problems in the past. The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent 10 minutes studying the huge machine. Then he marked a small "x" in chalk on a particular component of the machine and stated, "This is where your problem is." The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. The company received a bill for $50,000 from the engineer for his service. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The engineer responded briefly: "One chalk mark $1. Knowing where to put it $49,999"

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Engineer

Post by wizzard » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 pm

When I was leaving my guitar lessons today my teacher started a new conversation by saying " I know you can fix bikes and cars and things" oh, oh, I guessed what was coming next "its just my new compressor isnt blowing up a flat tyre". A quick look later, and showing him how to correctly attach the gauge/inflator to the valve - job done. I thought he wanted me to repair the compressor. :roll:

Giscard
Donator
Donator
England

Engineer

Post by Giscard » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:43 pm

wizzard wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 pm
When I was leaving my guitar lessons today my teacher started a new conversation by saying " I know you can fix bikes and cars and things" oh, oh, I guessed what was coming next "its just my new compressor isnt blowing up a flat tyre". A quick look later, and showing him how to correctly attach the gauge/inflator to the valve - job done. I thought he wanted me to repair the compressor. :roll:
I bet that put the wind up you :)

Breninfrance
England

Engineer

Post by Breninfrance » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 pm

my neighbour came round complaining about a compressor running on and on and not cutting out, I went to see it and it had no air filter on it :roll:
it was so worn it couldn't get up enough pressure to cut out :lol: , 15 year old 2hp compressor, and the tight git still asked me if I could repair it :evil:
I've had a generator in my barn for 8 years cos a cheeky fucker wants it fixed for nothing

Jamstealer
France

Engineer

Post by Jamstealer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:32 pm

On the other hand it's sometimes an advantage. A very nice young lady not far away is an artist who makes all sorts of sculptures and stuff ( she is very good) she is currently in a " junk/steampunk" phase, and wants to make artworks that move and articulate. When she realised I am a bit of an engineer ( and that I was involved in robotics) she asked if i could help her with articulating and motorising these things.
I shal be delighted to help ( for purely artistic reasons of course icon_whistle )