Soil sample

Chunksoft
Great Britain

Soil sample

Post by Chunksoft » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:12 am

yes most defo a Notaire is involved and to be honest we are getting slightly fed up with it all

we have already had a Spanc report this test is before they will come to put the regarde in yawn yawn yawn

Hal
Ireland

Soil sample

Post by Hal » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:26 am

Oops

Jamstealer
France

Soil sample

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:19 pm

There certainly seems some sort of " misunderstanding " / miscommunication going on here; normally a SPANC report includes soil sampling etc, unless it was simply a report into whether your current fosse is confirming; but even so; nowadays ( found here, anyway) they do the full report/ survey looking at options for updating or replacement; and soil samples ( mainly to determine your soil's drainage capacity) is part of it. ( Also structural reasons; some soft unstable soils need a concrete fosse; or need extra reinforcement for a plastic one). Without reading all the documentation, it's difficult to work out if the various agencies/ companies are at cross purposes, or something was missing in a previous report. Even " regard" can be interpreted in several ways, depending on what your actual fosse is like; whether it is simply adding an inspection cover to an existing tank; or if it means putting in a complete adjoining inspection chamber.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Soil sample

Post by wizzard » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:15 pm

I received a basic report from Spanc last year, and it didnt mention soil samples. She was only here for less than 30 minutes, asked a few questions and left.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

Soil sample

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Our SPANC are pretty thorough; and very " correct " but then also, on the other hand; ; as far as " soil sampling" was concerned; ( I had to install a completely new fosse, ours was 100% non confirming, and was actually in our cellar!), they accepted the opinion of our fosse installer, who dug several test holes to find the best location etc. . But then I don't have a conventional fosse, and I have no sand filter bed; it's an " eco fosse" with a coconut fibre filter tank, and the run off from that goes straight into the surface water drain.
If your fosse installer is pragmatic and has a good relationship with SPANC; this is all easily solvable.

Chunksoft
Great Britain

Soil sample

Post by Chunksoft » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:13 pm

I am starting to lose faith we have now been told that we may have to fit a new septic before the sale can complete and have been quoted 20k Euro I love the French way of life in the main but this is really too much.

Jamstealer
France

Soil sample

Post by Jamstealer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:45 am

Are you selling or buying? If you are selling; then you don't have to fit a fosse; but you may have to adjust price according to the potential cost.
That is up to the buyer to negotiate with the seller. If a buyer walks because of a fosse; well....
There is no legal requirement for you as the seller to do the upgrade.

The buyer has a period of grace before he has to upgrade a non confirming fosse.
If you are selling; it sounds like you are being stiffed.
1. Unless your fosse needs to be huge, and/or the ground / situation is really difficult, € 20,000 is ridiculous. I had a completely new "eco fosse" put in, in a difficult place, its sized for 8 people/4 bathrooms; €6500; and that's an expensive one. If you need elevating pumps, extra chambers etc, then price might go up.
2. Who quoted ? Did you get several quotes?
3. Normally if you are selling and your fosse is non conforming; you get a few quotes; as does the buyer; you agree a reasonable fosse cost and bargain that off the house price. Your notaire should do that.

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

Soil sample

Post by Dragon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:05 am

20k Wow. i got mine done in 2003 for 4k surely it hasnt gone up that much 14 years, but then again i got an English friend to help with a French friend who had a digger, i bet you could find it cheaper than 20k though,
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,

Chunksoft
Great Britain

Soil sample

Post by Chunksoft » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:54 am

Jamstealer wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:45 am
Are you selling or buying? If you are selling; then you don't have to fit a fosse; but you may have to adjust price according to the potential cost.
That is up to the buyer to negotiate with the seller. If a buyer walks because of a fosse; well....
There is no legal requirement for you as the seller to do the upgrade.

The buyer has a period of grace before he has to upgrade a non confirming fosse.
If you are selling; it sounds like you are being stiffed.
1. Unless your fosse needs to be huge, and/or the ground / situation is really difficult, € 20,000 is ridiculous. I had a completely new "eco fosse" put in, in a difficult place, its sized for 8 people/4 bathrooms; €6500; and that's an expensive one. If you need elevating pumps, extra chambers etc, then price might go up.
2. Who quoted ? Did you get several quotes?
3. Normally if you are selling and your fosse is non conforming; you get a few quotes; as does the buyer; you agree a reasonable fosse cost and bargain that off the house price. Your notaire should do that.
Yes we are selling, we are trying to get new quotes, if the 20k one is the only one we can get we may pull out of the sale and do it ourselves over the next year, the systems in France are infuriating at times

Jamstealer
France

Soil sample

Post by Jamstealer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:11 am

The only possible ways that fosse could cost €20k are;
1. You are sizing one for about 20 users.
2. Hour house is so close to a water source that the fosse needs to be specially tanked and isolated, and filtration remoted away from the water.
3. The filter bed or tanks will be below or partially below the water table level and needs special conditions for the protection of the water table.
4. Your ground is heavily sloped and you need to do lots of uphill pumping
5. Your ground is so hard/ rocky that it is massively difficult to excavate ( bear in mind, mine is dug into solid calcaire)
6. You are being stiffed.

I still don't get why you are having to do the fosse replacement anyway; it's up to the buyer to put it right ( having negotiated with you to try to get a price drop because of the expense he will incur i bought my house knowing there was no fosse and the seller had priced with that in mind) .
Question; is the buyer using the same notaire as you? Who is the buyer? Is he a mate of the notaire? Is your notaire a tosser?