Old skool flame-painting (B side)

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm

I've decided to repaint my original Sportster bodywork.

It's got a bit damaged, and re-welding the front mudguard hasn't improved the state of it.

Also, it's someone else's idea of "personalised paint", not mine, and thirdly, it's not even done properly....it's just the base orange, stickers, and clearcoat....very obvious as there's insufficient clear for the level to be flat or anywhere near.

So it's all going to disappear, and new proper custom flames will appear in its place.

As I have long range bodywork in white pearl with flames in mostly blue and green, blended to yellow and orange, this will be on base black with red/orange/yellow flames.

I'm not starting till my floor is poured at the Moulin, but that's scheduled for tomorrow morning, so I should start the interesting stuff next week.

As it is now....
15.jpg
and the long-range tank.
Joan59.jpg
88.jpg

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:06 pm

For anyone who missed it, here's the 'A side' viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1097&p=9977#p9977

richard36
France

Post by richard36 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Very nice! Good luck with the ciment tomorrow!

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 pm

The cement....after giving the order to two different people at Lafarge Limoges on Friday (the 'right' person was never available as he seems to spend all his time cleaning the mixer...) I was told late Friday that they would ring back Monday morning to conform the lorry with the 'tapis' would definitely be available Wednesday morning.

I waited Monday, no call, so rang them at 11am to be told "Oh yes, everything is ok, but there's been some confusion, it can't deliver earlier than 10.30am"

We all got there at 10am and waited. Eventually my wife sent a message to say they had rung, and had no trace of any order having been taken....so how did they know to ring?

I rang them at 1pm and the guy claimed it wasn't a problem at their end....it was simply that they didn't know what quantity or what type, of concrete I wanted!!!!!

I'd explained just this to them on at least four occasions.

One of my guys told me he's sick of this sort of thing from Lafarge, he'd ordered 36m3 for a job in Charente, the first lorrytold the driver was certainly not 8m3, driver said it was, my buddy measured the area it covered, and as the second and third loads covered twice the surface, same depth, he called the rep out.

Sadly my pal's French is atrocious....

Rep disagreed there was any problem, BUT said "Don't worry, we"ll sort it out on your next order!"'

ie, "There's no problem, but there's a problem...." The reality being the driver had made a quick 300€ or so by dropping 4m3 elsewhere, en route....and my friend had paid over 400€ for the missing concrete.

I went to another supplier later yesterday and they told me a client had gone to the Lafarge depot in Limoges last week at 3.30pm and found it 'Closed'.

They rang about 3pm yesterday to say "We can deliver it at 4pm...."

One of my guys was on his way to Nice, and the others doing other things, so it's supposed to be NEXT Wednesday now.

Totally incompetent bunch of clowns.

nev
Bangladesh

Post by nev » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:55 pm

I suppose you could say Flaming heck you could not make that sh1t up. Apologies for not loading green flames though. I am glad I mixed my own concrete hard work less aggro.
fire.jpg

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:53 am

I've mixed plenty with a cement mixer, never have had it delivered before. There is a limit where a pro builder reckons it's cost effective to use readymix though, and this floor is a bit above the limit (5m3 if paying builder labour rates)

As this floor will take easily 8.5m3, it's worth doing a split 6.5m3 delivered, then use this as a solid base for mixing the last few m3 up by hand.

What a PITA, it should have been halfway solid by now.... :evil:

nev
Bangladesh

Post by nev » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:01 am

I did our two barns the first was just over a 100 square metres the second about 50 and what a difference it made as it was just compact dirt and ankle breaking stone. I did ask a couple of builders but was not too convinced they were on the same page, so I bought a mixer and off I went.

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:24 am

Well done! That's a lot of concrete....did you have to dig it all out, lay stone, compact it, lay sand, a membrane and then grillage on 1" blocks, the 5m triangular section plastic rails set on cement blobs for perfect levelling etc?
DSC00084.jpg
DSC00085.jpg
What depth did you end up laying?

I reckon I removed quite a few cubic metres of compacted 'tuf' and a lot of very big rocks before the first leveling of the earth floor....it's a lot of work, and I also had to remove two hay-stages first.

I dread to think what quote a builder would have given for the complete job, but a local mason wanted 6000€ to lay 'beton lavé' on a 50m² parking area in front of our office! It didn't need more than a 10cm surface scrape, and there was no access problem.

If I'd had him quote it'd have been at least 15,000€.....

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm

Well that's most of the floor poured!

Lorry arrived on time at 2pm, and was off again at 3.30. Not quite sure how, but we ended up laying more like 150mm rather than the planned 100mm so will need another 4.2m3 but the positive is that it's now proper garage floor spec, ie 6" rather than 4" deep so I'm not fussed.

It makes the space look surprisingly bigger.

It was so easy....I spent most of the time leaning on a rake, though I did very nearly fall full length into the stuff at one point.....just left a few foot marks which we then tamped out again. :mrgreen:

nev
Bangladesh

Post by nev » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Looks good, "proper job" as they would say in the west country. I was going to get a digger but was a bit expensive so I dug it all out by hand, then used "tout vennat" or scalpings, sand, membrane, insulation and finally concrete to 100mm depth. It was not too bad as the area is split into two halves, the back is enclosed and the front open so I can get a vehicle in under cover. Her indoors wanted the front tiling on a diagonal; the things we have to do :roll:

What is yours going to be used for, a workshop?
1 clear barn.jpg
21-barn-concrete-finish.jpg
barn-tiling-2.jpg