How to ride fast safely....

Ventodue
France

Post by Ventodue » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 am

Jamstealer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:58 pm
But I am not a " biker".
Yeah, I think that shows ... :o :D . Nick Ienatsch, of course, is (twice AMA national champion and 12 years as lead instructor at the Freddie Spencer Riding School, for example). So I can see why you may not 'get' what he's talking about.

But hey! It's useful to be reminded what a Broad Church ownership of a motorcycle is ;) .

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:39 am

Ventodue wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 am
Jamstealer wrote:
But I am not a " biker".
Yeah, I think that shows ... :o :D . Nick Ienatsch, of course, is (twice AMA national champion and 12 years as lead instructor at the Freddie Spencer Riding School, for example). So I can see why you may not 'get' what he's talking about.

But hey! It's useful to be reminded what a Broad Church ownership of a motorcycle is ;) .
I very much have " got" what he is talking about; and agree on some things; ( i.e. Road riding is not racing.) But much is irrelevant; and skilled riding can't be explained in a few paragraphs. Especially fast skilled road riding; where you use hugely different techniques to track riding.
And I learned my road skills with exceptionally skilled police instructors.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:48 am

papasmurf wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:23 am
Jamstealer wrote:
But I am not a " biker". Just someone who uses bikes.
And as far as I am concerned : it's much more elegant and cool to go round bends as fast as possible with the minimum of lean or fuss or acrobatics.
You should try my bike for a while:-

gallery/image/68
Good bikes; I had an original bullet back in the day; it was quite good.

nodrog
France

Post by nodrog » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:49 pm

I read the piece about The Pace. I must confess I didn't understand a word of it. It might be very good but I've always found experimentation a far better way to learn. I speak only for myself, and yes I appreciate that this can have serious downsides. I also can't tell left from right instinctively: I have to really think about it. And as I haven't ridden a bike in a right hand drive country for about 25 years, it's just too complicated to try and switch every thing in the article from right to left. I learnt to ride a motorbike riding my first home home from the seller, it took two days because I broke the chain before I had perfected changing gear. I starting skiing at 45, I took a few lessons at the beginning but it was though really trusting my senses that I learnt to ski well (for me that is). Having a ski instructor shouting instructions at me really didn't help me at all, and my brain works too slowly to process the instructions. The most important thing for me is "know thyself", everyone is different, there simply isn't a one system/style/method fits all. I can't hack people who believe that they have some infallible method and must be followed. I don't do group riding much, except with good mates on tour, etc. so it's not really practical for me anyway. Good to post it up though icon_clap

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
And as far as I am concerned : it's much more elegant and cool to go round bends as fast as possible with the minimum of lean or fuss or acrobatics.
Sounds like you need a train Jammy. icon_yo
UTC

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:27 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 pm
Jamstealer wrote:
Sounds like you need a train Jammy. icon_yo
Funny you should say that; my riding mentor, a police instructor, formerly an undercover pursuit rider and SEG team leader/instructor , and one of the fastest road riders I have ever seen, likens the fast road technique as "riding just like a train"; smooth as possible, straight as possible, as few changes of direction, as few changes of speed, as few control inputs as possible in every situation. It works. You can " make progress" continually for extended periods without getting knackered. icon_yo

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

Post by 2cvandy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:52 pm

nodrog wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:49 pm
I must confess I didn't understand a word of it
Well I understood it,,,,, but like Ventodue, I object slightly to being preached at, whether it's how to ride, what to ride, or what to wear while riding.

I often ride in a small group, and IMHO it only works well if you have faith in the other riders. You need to be confident in their riding style and know that they're not going to do something unpredictable.

As for improving your own riding?
I really don't believe there's any substitute for miles under the wheels.
I think you need to be as relaxed sitting on the bike as you are sitting in your arm chair, and the only way to achieve that is to sit on the bike, a lot.

Just my 2penarth, other opinions are available.

icon_yo
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:12 pm

2cvandy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:52 pm
nodrog wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:49 pm
I must confess I didn't understand a word of it
Well I understood it,,,,, but like Ventodue, I object slightly to being preached at, whether it's how to ride, what to ride, or what to wear while riding.

I often ride in a small group, and IMHO it only works well if you have faith in the other riders. You need to be confident in their riding style and know that they're not going to do something unpredictable.

As for improving your own riding?
I really don't believe there's any substitute for miles under the wheels.
I think you need to be as relaxed sitting on the bike as you are sitting in your arm chair, and the only way to achieve that is to sit on the bike, a lot.

Just my 2penarth, other opinions are available.

icon_yo
100% . Spot on. Relaxed ( though not to the point of falling asleep icon_thatsfunny ). Relaxed because you know your bike well, you have learned to observe and plan, you are not fighting the bike or the road. So minimal surprises; minimal physical effort which = (eventually) less mental effort, and you can ride for as long, and as fast ( or slow) as you want. And because you are not tense, your back / arse/ shoulders/arms don't get tired either ( which = you are more alert). You won't be the fastest to the cafe 2 miles away; you will still be on the pace after 300 km, though. The caff racer will be shagged out after about 30 km.

paul85
France

Post by paul85 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Now if he had done an IAM or Rospa........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_thumbup
I am leaving now.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:59 am

Well since he is an IAM and ROSPA examiner; that's what he is looking for; it's what IPSGA and TUG is all about. Certainly that's how à ROSPA Gold or IAM F1Rst is achieved.