The Future of the Forum.

nev
Bangladesh

The Future of the Forum.

Post by nev » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:50 am

For what it is worth:

Everyone as a different reason to join a bike forum mine was to glean info on how to immatriculate a UK bike, the prior forum was quite informative on the process. Personally I feel it a shame that the content from the prior site was not ported across to the new one but there you go.

The new forum certainly feels less bike related but then who is to say the prior site would be any different given the events that have been going on around us.

I feel that if a member posts a bike related event, trip or story then it should be supported by the other members even if it is just a thanks. There have been a few instances where posts on say ironing boards garner more attention than the latest world trip on a moped two up. You know what I mean.

I know this has been mentioned and I am as guilty as others but also welcome new members even if you do not feel like it, it is not hard.

Perhaps if people want to meet up then post a willingness in the meetup section, you could make it logged in member only access.

Finances, I have said my bit on this but to reiterate "gold service" is not required, take the "silver" at renewal time. With respect to the cost of 20 euros a month support contract does this truly reflect good value for money given that the hosting fees cover 24/7 support and the control panel software allows for automated backups and upgrades that even a monkey could perform. In support of this ff the admin team needs technical help then there are more than one of us on this forum that have offered more than once in this regard even as early as day one. We certainly could have given guidance / recommendations on the package that was purchased.

This is a bit tongue in cheek but perhaps limit the posts certain members can make as it is a little tiresome reading the same old "I am such a know it all" tripe, I can get the info from wikipedia thanks. :D

Cornishman
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Cornishman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:10 am

Just a couple of answers for you Nev.

Those members who set out to start a new site to coincide with the closure of the original and many of the members wanted to move the old content onto the new site because it was an incredible resource. Quite simply they could not, I believe due to issues of 'ownership' and of course the time pressure they were under.
I think the meet up section is currently for logged on members only. If people want to meet up they have to get involved instead of relying on the usual faces. I was amazed that one poster wrote that he was disappointed that he lives too far away to join in. He lives close enough to me and if he had ever suggested a meet then I would have been very interested. He never has. Perhaps the problem is that there are other sites that do meet ups very well.
Financially we are fine. In my opinion we could cut corners and run on a shoestring but why make life more challenging for the volunteers who run the site. If it were a business perhaps the goalposts would be different. It is not.
I can't see the logic of limiting people's posts. You might not be keen on seeing the same names over and over again but there are two ways to overcome that, one block those members so you don't see their posts, two post yourself, start threads and encourage others to post as well. I personally say icon_thanks to those who post regularly and keep the site alive. It's noticeable that since this thread began it's still only the hard core members who welcome newcomers. How hard is it to choose icon_welcom from the smilies list and click on post?
Perhaps I'm talking out of turn here but the feedback has been pretty positive. A few months ago BCF appeared to be on a downward spiral to distruction, this thread shows that there's life in the (new) old dog yet.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

nodrog
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by nodrog » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Personally I think it's a great forum. Although I 've never initiated one of the more controversial non-bike related discussions I am guilty of getting a bit personal. I have my red lines. I don't like to see topics banned or overly moderated but I do take huge exception to racism, particularly when passed off as either humour or some seemingly innocent comment. But I generally I accept that my opinion is not infallible :D
Whatever the forum is now, it will probably evolve naturally as new people join and as circumstances of individual, national or international issues change. I am happy to donate according to my means to see it continue. It's a great resource, the advice is usually excellent. Bikers, in general, are a good group of people, just a little bit less bound by convention, a little bit more independent of thought, and a little bit more adventurous than "normal" society. This forum I think, is a good reflection of that. icon_clap

nev
Bangladesh

The Future of the Forum.

Post by nev » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:58 am

Cornishman wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:10 am

I think the meet up section is currently for logged on members only. If people want to meet up they have to get involved instead of relying on the usual faces.
Financially we are fine. In my opinion we could cut corners and run on a shoestring but why make life more challenging for the volunteers who run the site. If it were a business perhaps the goalposts would be different. It is not.
Just a quick response:
1) For information note that all areas of the site are public access.

2) No need to cut corners, choosing the silver package has no bearing on making life more challenging, the only notable differences between silver and gold are the cost $3.95 vs $8.95pcm, number of domains allowed (4) and inclusive annual domain registration fee. The forum only needs 1 domain and the domain renewal fee is only $16 if purchased separatley. So by going silver you would save just over $31. So agreed it is not a business but the Admin team needs to take responsibility of ensuring that the donaters' "hard earned", as you so eloquently put it, is spent in the most efficient way.

3) I would also seriously consider the value add of the additional service contract at $19.95pcm and investigate the costs of one-off incidents as this is a severe drain of donators' "hard earned". I would suggest that a top level review of how many incidents there have been that could not have been resolved using the included support contract to see if it provides good value for money. icon_thanks

Jamstealer
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:37 pm

In terms of costs; I assume that included is a high level ( sufficient level) of Security for the site; and its subscribers. Given the high level of cyber attacks in every aspect of life; the forum needs protecting from spammers; as well as ID thieves; who target forums like this to gain email addresses/passwords/ Facebook details etc.
I protect myself from internet identification is several ways anyway, but many don't; and it's relatively to hack sites and their user data unless some measures are taken by the site host. It's something that an " amateur" would find very time consuming, and difficult to do without the proper tools.

Cornishman
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Cornishman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:37 pm

I think you are wrong about the free access to all areas. I missed the posts about the season opener at Motobreaks because I was not logged on for a while.
We can discuss the value of our site fees later but I'm quite happy to use my 'hard earned' to maintain the level of cover we enjoy. I understand the site could be run on the cheap but does that mean better?
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

usil
United States of America

The Future of the Forum.

Post by usil » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Code: Select all

The new forum certainly feels less bike related...
I would say that this has a ring of truth to it even though I have been out of the loop for a bit. But I am not saying that this is a bad thing. While I was active, this forum became a community of expats that posted many things about bikes and bike rides that they enjoyed and as friends we shared amongst ourselves many other items too. That's what friends do. For me that was what I liked about the forum so I hope that that continues.

As for the other topics, even if they became a bit contentious I don't see that being an issue. We are all adults and if we don't like a post thread we move on to the next - end of story. That's life. Kind of messy some times. If somebody is identified as a troll by a moderator - send them packing. It is up to the moderators to moderate and their say is final. I hope everybody has their load of firewood in store and are set for the winter.

Cornishman
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Cornishman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:10 pm

nev wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:58 am
Cornishman wrote:

I think the meet up section is currently for logged on members only. If people want to meet up they have to get involved instead of relying on the usual faces.
Just a quick response:
1) For information note that all areas of the site are public access.

2) No need to cut corners, choosing the silver package has no bearing on making life more challenging, the only notable differences between silver and gold are the cost $3.95 vs $8.95pcm, number of domains allowed (4) and inclusive annual domain registration fee. The forum only needs 1 domain and the domain renewal fee is only $16 if purchased separatley. So by going silver you would save just over $31. So agreed it is not a business but the Admin team needs to take responsibility of ensuring that the donaters' "hard earned", as you so eloquently put it, is spent in the most efficient way.

3) I would also seriously consider the value add of the additional service contract at $19.95pcm and investigate the costs of one-off incidents as this is a severe drain of donators' "hard earned". I would suggest that a top level review of how many incidents there have been that could not have been resolved using the included support contract to see if it provides good value for money. icon_thanks
For information note: I just tried to check if the ride outs section is open to public access. It is not. I was reading the suggest meet down in 65 then logged out and could no longer see the thread.

nev
Bangladesh

The Future of the Forum.

Post by nev » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:14 am

Cornishman wrote:
For information note: I just tried to check if the ride outs section is open to public access. It is not. I was reading the suggest meet down in 65 then logged out and could no longer see the thread.
Technically we are both correct, the section RIDEOUTS MEETS AND EVENTS BY REGION - VIEWABLE BY MEMBERS ONLY statement or header is partially accurate as it is possible to access the UK / Rideouts, Meets and Events without logging in.

The France - Rideouts, Meets and Events by Region is hidden to non logged in users.

So to reflect the banner VIEWABLE BY MEMBERS ONLY perhaps the UK section also needs to be logged in access only.

nev
Bangladesh

The Future of the Forum.

Post by nev » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:24 am

Okay lets put the hosting fees it into terms of insurance quotes.

There are two quotes for a motorcycle, one is 55 euros the other is 85 euros, they both offer the exact same level of cover. The only difference between the two polices, is that the lowest quote covers one bike, the other four bikes. So unless there is an intention to have four bikes in the coming year, why pay extra?