The Future of the Forum.

papasmurf
Great Britain

The Future of the Forum.

Post by papasmurf » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Dragon wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:20 pm
Still landing in some members spam boxes by all accounts, ......papasmurf for one,
Twice, I have just got may from a rally to find another email in the spam bin.

BofNo1
Ireland

The Future of the Forum.

Post by BofNo1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi guys, just wish to add my tuppence worth to this discussion. I'm a periodic user of the site, because I'm only in France periodically, not living there full time, but about 4 months of every year. I am indebted to the present administration, as they saved what is to me, an extremely useful site. The amount of information I've been able to access from the site as regards re- registration, license issues and members experiences, has been brilliant and saved me from a lot of possible grief. Before I arrive in France, I look at the site to see if any events or rideout's/meets are organised close to me, or in the surrounding area. I have used the site to ask for help/information and have received both, freely given with a smile. If I start to read a post/discussion and find it not to my taste, I move to something that does interest me on the site, as I have a low bulls--t threshold and don't suffer fools gladly.
I have attended several events/meets over the years and have had nothing but a good time, we need more of them, with fixed dates in the calendar, so people have plenty of notice and can make the necessary arrangements to attend, if it's possible.
I'm sorry, I don't have any great ideas as to how the site can move forward, I would just like it to!!! I would have no problem with donating, two tier membership, or any other suggestions that are acceptable to the administration and the membership, that will allow this site to continue and, maybe those more intelligent than me can come up with new ideas.
Keep up the good work, cheers, Pat.(The Corkman)

BofNo1
Ireland

The Future of the Forum.

Post by BofNo1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Sorry, forgot to say I did receive the email. Sorry again, cheers, Pat.

Baldbalti
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Baldbalti » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Received both emails. :D

I have found the forum incredibly useful over the years. Whilst I am not a frequent contributor, I do regularly look to see what's new. It would be a real shame if the forum was to close and even in my current unemployed state I'm sure I could find a few quid to help support its future.

Andrew
New Zealand

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Andrew » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Email just arrived here.

It might be helpful (to me anyway) if we had some idea of the costs involved. I'm happy to donate a small amount, despite being an infrequent user of the forum, as I would like it to stay going for information purposes, if nothing else. I didn't think hosting costs were that severe, so by not mentioning a cost, you might actually be deterring people from 'bunging you a fiver'

In part, I became infrequent because I was disappointed that Brexit debates were shut down. It had the effect of making me less interested in contributing to the forum in general (I hasten to add that I respect the decision and am not in any way complaining about it) Equally, I don't mind robust language, am not offended by it, considering it more a reflection of peoples' passions. It's not my intention to rekindle the debates btw, I'm just responding to the email. Interestingly, I see my pov contrasts with that of wizzard's! In that, I actually preferred a 'more than just bikes' forum but perhaps the forum is intended more for the dyed-in-the-wool biker than for folk like me (that is, people who ride but who perhaps only a passing interest in motorbikes themselves)

Cornishman
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Cornishman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:50 pm
Email just arrived here.

It might be helpful (to me anyway) if we had some idea of the costs involved. I'm happy to donate a small amount, despite being an infrequent user of the forum, as I would like it to stay going for information purposes, if nothing else. I didn't think hosting costs were that severe, so by not mentioning a cost, you might actually be deterring people from 'bunging you a fiver'

In part, I became infrequent because I was disappointed that Brexit debates were shut down. It had the effect of making me less interested in contributing to the forum in general (I hasten to add that I respect the decision and am not in any way complaining about it) Equally, I don't mind robust language, am not offended by it, considering it more a reflection of peoples' passions. It's not my intention to rekindle the debates btw, I'm just responding to the email. Interestingly, I see my pov contrasts with that of wizzard's! In that, I actually preferred a 'more than just bikes' forum but perhaps the forum is intended more for the dyed-in-the-wool biker than for folk like me (that is, people who ride but who perhaps only a passing interest in motorbikes themselves)
It's easy to see the costs involved. Have a look through the monthly statements for the past year.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by wizzard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:50 pm
Email just arrived here.

Andrew . I liked the forum the way it was in the old days, with a mix of MAINLY bike stuff and the other peripheral bits added on. But then the bikes stuff took a back seat to all the heavy political stuff, racism, and other endless posts about non bike stuff. Its about having the correct balance of the core subject and the extras. Since the forum was saved from the ashes by the valiant few the balance has been totally wrong. Add to that the personal attacks on other members, trolling, name calling and downright nastiness which spews from some members, its no wonder that many long time members have left. The only reason I didnt join them was that I hoped that the admin team would recognise the problem, and find a way to sort it out. This is an ideal time to do just that.
Out of interest, I today looked into a couple of different forums which I use. The content is virtually entirely devoted to their core subject, with just a small section in each for "extras".
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Jamstealer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:46 pm

I always thought it was worth binging a few quid at the site; so don't have a problem with some sort of subscription.
I think there needs to be a free element, to draw people in; if it's " pay before you get anything" it will put lots of people off joining.
And the free bit needs to be interesting and useful enough, or people won't bother; but just limited enough to make them want to " donate" to get the " extra". One way of differentiating the "ordinary" and "premium/paying members, might be to put a limit on the number of posts you can write in a time period; e.g. 10 per month unless you subscribe, when it's unlimited. That happens on one science forum I am on. How that's done, I don't know; is there a software that counts your posts, and blocks you until a new month starts? You would need an automated message that comes up ; " you have reached your monthly limit or you can gain unlimited access by paying €xx".

As far as the forum content; I found it a mine of information on all sorts of subjects ( not just bikes) when I first arrived. In fact the only expat forum which consistently gives ccurate answers.
Perhaps that's because bikers are more practical and " get on with it" thatvthe halfwit whingers that populate other forums.

As far as content, it would be a pity if it was bikes only; like Richard36 said, when I meet people in real life, I discuss all sorts of subjects.
Personally I am not interested in " rideouts " and stuff; I don't do biking as a social activity; for me it's simply a form of transport, usually more fun than others; sometimes more convenient, often massively inconvenient. And bikes have mostly just been a " tool of the trade" for me. I am massively interested in vehicle design, and future technology, and two wheel ( sometimes 3 wheel or narrow track) vehicles are a particularly interesting subset .

I am on loads of different forums; science, engineering, art, history; most have some sort of paywall"; some are pay only , some have the " posts per month" rules, some restrict access to various sections; some of the science ones don't allow downloading of documents or reports unless you are subscribed.

Oh, and by the way; if you think people on here get a bit " excited" sometimes; try a few physics forums; some are really f******g brutal!

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by 2cvandy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Dragon wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:22 pm
.if the wife lets me that is incon_doh
if not,,,,,,
I'd seriously consider getting a new one of those too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_yo
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

SimonW
Donator
Donator
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by SimonW » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi, Just received the general mail today.

I admit I haven't been a very active member, but as a recent arrival in France I have found the forum an extremely useful source of information, with some very interesting threads. Some of the regular posters are a mine of information, which they share very generously. I hope I can return the favour as I gain a bit more of the French 'experience'

Judging by this thread, I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with the site as it is, though I wouldn't mind some sort of two-tiered organisation as long as there was enough in the open section to draw new members in. Yes there are trolls, and some threads that get out of hand, but that's true of most forums.

It would be a shame if the site folded, but I can totally understand that it takes a big effort on the part of a handful of people to keep something like this running smoothly (or at all). I would certainly like to offer a big icon_thanks to everyone involved in keeping the site going, and I'm happy to donate to the cause.

Simon