The Future of the Forum.

Moon
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Moon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:17 pm

Ey op, I got the group e mail and so am replying as requested.

I am a "lapsed" member. having joined way back ages ago and then fallen aside. having read the previous comments here I am inclined to agree with most of them. I came looking for a "Bike" site and found an expat site, with bike orientated sections. I am, and always have been somewhat "asocial" so not an ideal candidate for a social site even if there were other members in the same region.

For what it's worth, I have recently experienced from the inside as an admin, the demise of a bike website that had been running for a fair while and one thing was very clear, You NEED constant new members, and you need a way of getting them in. other than that I'm afraid i don't have any answers.

best of luck with it. I'll eep looking in from time to time, and who knows...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Dieselspanner
Donator
Donator
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Dieselspanner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 pm

No email for me either

I've paid for a banner ad, on this and the previous incarnation,Chalet Tourmalet, and never had so much as an enquiry, I can't say I'm upset, I'm happy to support the site and accept that should it 'gain traction' as the Yanks say, I might make a few bob.

If not, I can live with the fact that there's the occasional dick head on here that will get gobby and ignore them, in much the same way as I ignore Eastenders. It would be a shame to see it go, lovely to see it prosper.

I don't believe any forum needs excessive moderation or restricting to a single topic, be it bikes, cars or Linky meters. At the end of the day either enough of us will tip up and some kind souls will take on the thankless task of running it.

I'm good for a few more shillings and promise not to whinge about posts I don't like, that are too long, bear no relevance at all, or don't mention the word 'bike'

Cheers Stef

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by 2cvandy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Hiya Chris,
I've not had the email either,,,,,,,,,,,but,

I've always liked this forum, I've had some useful info from here over the years, and it'd be a shame to see it die.

You've asked what's wrong with the forum, but at the same time said don't make it personal,,,,,,,,,,
I totally understand that, but it's a bit difficult, because there are at least 3 names that pop up regularly, that when I see a post from them, I know it's going to degenerate into an argument. So much so that I don't even bother to read posts from one of them any more.

I don't really see what can be done about that, people have opinions, other people will disagree, that's life.
But I do think that when it gets too personal it puts some people off the forum all together, and I do think that obviously racist postings should be removed and the poster banned, there's really no excuse for allowing that to appear to be acceptable.

It would be a shame to restrict the forum just to biking topics, as I said, I've had some useful info and advice over the years, and certainly not all of it was bike related.

If the forum can be kept running I'm happy to chip in a bit each year to help, but it will be a "bit" not a lot. Because now you've made me sit down and think about it, bcfr isn't all that important in the great scheme of things. It'd be a shame to see it die, if only because of the folk who've put some effort into keeping it going, but there's lots more important stuff to be worrying about at the moment.
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

Hal
Ireland

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Hal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:52 pm

I'm sure if we knew what the running costs actually are, hosting and maintenance, people would be happy to make a fair contribution.

This was my point about the Blatchat forum....total lack of fiscal transparency and a whiff of funny business when the oh so remote management team for unknown reasons decided to 'invest' £40,000 of 'our' money into a seriously rubbish new site.....

Transparency helps things along....

Admittedly the Seven club produced its own monthly glossy mag, "Low Flying", but many of us preferred to use the forum (the old one) and were not too happy to be paying extra compulsorily for the mag.

If a club forum is declared as 'non profit', the finances should be visible to all.

if it's to be 'for profit' then again, members should be able to see a breakdown of projected costs and project details.

A big Xmas get together and meal/jamboree/ride-out?

A summer tour?

All need investment but that could be arranged (obviously) on a pay to participate basis.

What people objected to on the Seven site was the 'suspicion' that someone was skimming members money.....and slipping the odd £40k to some unknown IT person.....mighty suspicious in my book. :shock:
Last edited by Hal on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by 2cvandy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:56 pm

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

Hal
Ireland

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Hal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks Andy.

Is that Monthly Site Fee ($19.95) ............. €17.38 ....it?
Maintenance plus hosting?

That's 208 euros annually....are we unable to raise that much from members?

I think if we could agree on a sensible format and stop the complaining about what IS being posted, anyone who has something bike related to post should simply POST it.

Plus plan some group type interesting things to do, I for one would be happy to participate. As long as camping isn't involved.....

How many donating members are there, out of interest?

ChrisD
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by ChrisD » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Hal wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:10 pm

How many donating members are there, out of interest?
Member list showing status
UTC

Hal
Ireland

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Hal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Interesting.

If only the 28 existing donors were considered, that would be 7,40 euros each.

If all the 415 registered users all contributed , it would cost them 50 centimes each.....just for the allover annual running costs of the site.

I think if some sensible, fun ideas were put forward for some club activities of different sorts, some of us might be happy to contribute for specific events.....in my opinion.

FrancisBarnett
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by FrancisBarnett » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Having in the past volunteered ( Ok- I got talked into it!) to run the membership and subscription database of a 300 member UK bike group after there was a management "blow-up" and the active administration walked out, I had to start from scratch.
I had no experience of working with databases, mailmerge for sending out bills for the subs etc so it was a steep learning curve and I had to work formally as it was a registered charity.
I can only sympathise with and applaud the admin people of this site as I know from bitter experience how hard it can be, usually very few laurel wreaths, only brickbats!

For the record - yes I got the email.

The forum's future.

I am a member of a couple of other bike forums, one UK based and one US based and periodically they have the same kind of problems as bcfr.
Both are non-stuffy and have a wide variety of topics that are shared and discussed -- not just bikes, so I say just keep it as it is and jump on the argy-bargy stuff with big boots as soon as it starts - that's all you can do really, every forum has the same type of problem from time to time.

And the funding - NB admin - Not everybody does paypal! - I don't and would be happy to send a cheque to an admin person to pay into the forum account.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

ChrisD
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by ChrisD » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:00 am

We're still having probs emailing all users but the feedback is very good so far, perhaps the future is viable. Before i became a Mod I used to throw in £10 a year because that was what I paid as a subscription on another forum before I left. As hal implies if more members contribute even a fiver( or less) it would go a long way. BCFr finances are transparent as per Dave/Cornishman' monthly statement and posts, there are no hidden agendas within the forum despite Hal's fears, what you see is what you get and if you think we have SNAFU'd then feel free to help us. The Donator "emblem" is not an elitist badge, it was just Admins way of saying thanks, it can easily be removed or renamed, perhaps "Sucker" would be more appropriate icon_whistle .

Sorry about our unsophistication re acquiring funds FB , perhaps Dave our Treasurer can accomodate you re the cheque thing. Alternatively you can send it to me in a plain brown envelope, address provided via PM. seriously, as far as I know the PP option is free so that is why we use it..
UTC