The Future of the Forum.

ChrisD
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by ChrisD » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 pm

You should all be receiving an email shortly to ask you about the future of the forum, whether you would be willing to donate some of your hard earned to help keep the club going and to ask for feedback, what do you want out of the forum? We've done it by mass email because this will hopefully include members who have not been active for one reason or another (and we'd love to hear those reasons).

This thread can now be used for your replies. All we ask that is that you adhere to club posting guidelines and keep it polite and not get personal. Reasoned statements will top snide remarks any day.

Wait for the email then over to you. icon_yo

icon_thanks in advance for your feedback and don't make any donations yet until we decide Bikersclubfrance has a future.

UTC

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Dragon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Sent by Andy, so pasted it on here, .......Dragon,

Dear administrator

I do not believe that there is anything wrong with the site. We are all
busy people with lives which take over. I personally am currently selling
my pan european because my current lifestyle means that i do not have time
to tour France as i had planned to do when i purchased the bike.
I will instead be purchasing a smaller bike to commute rather than tour.

Best wishes

Andrew
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by wizzard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Chris. I wasnt aware that the site was getting short of funds. As a previous donator, I would be happy to do so again. However, remembering back to previously when "donators" were identified beside their avatar, it was the same people who put the cash in all the time, and the same regular users who enjoyed the site but didnt bother to contribute. Asking all members for a membership fee would go against the basic principles of the site, as we often give advice to people who are maybe just asking about coming here for a holiday. Would it be possible to have a two tier site? The first one for anyone who joins, giving access to ONLY bike related topics (it is a BIKE forum for god's sake!), and the second a much broader range of topics, accessible only for donators (ie full members). I'm currently a member of another forum which works in a similar way. I think we have lost so many members recently because we are not seen as a bike forum,despite the name, just a group of people who come on to air their views on politics, cars , electric meters, racism, and much more. Just an initial thought, I have other suggestions, which I've previously sent to the administrators.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Pierre
Great Britain

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Pierre » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 pm

I think that I am inclined to agree with Wizzard to a certain degree; however I also joined this forum in the hopes that there would be some contact with bikers in my area (the Lot) , sadly however there don't appear to be many and my own commitments preclude me being able to do 3 hour journeys each way to join others. Bizarrely enough I watch huge numbers of bikes passing my door at the weekends and have yet to find out where they all come from!!

I can't be bothered with Trolls.

PG

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Dragon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Just out of interest, did anyone get the mass email or are you just replying to this thread, ........Dragon,
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by wizzard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm the same Pierre - I live close to a major bike route and daiy see lots of bikes passing. Singly and in groups. Most of the groups have luggage, tents etc, so I think they are on long ditance rides.
I think the problem with joining a very focussed bike group as this (brit expats) is that we are so thinly spread throughout the country, it always going to be difficult to get a group thing going. Like I've said before, I quite like riding on my own (having had bad experiences riding with others in the past), or riding with a well established riding group like the french club I ride with sometimes, who all ride Harleys or similar customs.
Dragon - I didnt get any email, so just replying to the thread. If/when the email arrives, do you want suggestions as the email reply?
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Pierre
Great Britain

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Pierre » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Ditto I'm replying to the thread, no email.

Pierre

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Dragon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:08 pm

wizzard wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 pm
I'm the same Pierre - I live close to a major bike route and daiy see lots of bikes passing. Singly and in groups. Most of the groups have luggage, tents etc, so I think they are on long ditance rides.
I think the problem with joining a very focussed bike group as this (brit expats) is that we are so thinly spread throughout the country, it always going to be difficult to get a group thing going. Like I've said before, I quite like riding on my own (having had bad experiences riding with others in the past), or riding with a well established riding group like the french club I ride with sometimes, who all ride Harleys or similar customs.
Dragon - I didnt get any email, so just replying to the thread. If/when the email arrives, do you want suggestions as the email reply?
Thanks Wizz, i just want to know that it has gone out to all members, i got one reply from a member.....Andy......who stopped posting a long time ago, so im hoping it was successful,

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Dragon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 pm

From Nick dawson, .........I certainty would not like to see the website fold and do look at it as well as post quite regularly.

Are there other avenues where hosting costs can be reduced as surely a forum such as this would not take up too much space or need too much in the way of administration.

Quite happy to work with whoever currently manages the site to look at alternatives.

regards

Nick

Nick Dawson

Jamstealer
France

The Future of the Forum.

Post by Jamstealer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 pm

no email here