Modified Bike Insurance

SPJ
Australia

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by SPJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Im looking to buy a bike from a dealer that has been modified and turned into a cafe racer. Can you recommend any insurance companies that will cover this type of bike ?

Cheers

Jamie

Cornishman
France

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by Cornishman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:01 pm

I can't help with insurance but there is one thing to think about before proceeding and that's what will be decided about Control Techniques for motorcycles in the near future. The last I heard France has to provide CTs for bikes before 2022. It had been suggested that, unlike cars etc, the CTs would only need carrying out at the point of sale and therein lies a potential problem. At the moment you might be able to buy, insure and ride a heavily modified bike but later on that same bike may prove to be impossible to get through a CT and sell. Hopefully other members more up to date will be able to fill in a few details.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Jamstealer
France

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:09 pm

No details on how that will go yet as far as I know; possibly down the route of the TüV test in Germany: approved modifications; or special examination for special builds

SPJ
Australia

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by SPJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Its not a wild build. Motor stock, Frame stock, wheels etc, just cosmetics (fairings) and new front end from a later model.

Jamstealer
France

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:18 pm

Reasonable bet that it would not be a major issue...

Cornishman
France

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by Cornishman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 pm

Why is it a problem to insure then?
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

SPJ
Australia

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by SPJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 pm

My insurance company wont do mods.....

Looking for one that does. Im sure they are out there....Just need to keep digging.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by wizzard » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:32 pm

This is an issue that gives me a lot of problems. In the UK I build custom cars and bikes, and insured them correctly and legally through Carol Nash. However the French heirarchy do not understand or accept the concept of custom vehicles, hence all the rods and chops I see on my travels are not correctly insured. The best example I saw was a Jago bodied Ford T bucket, with a Chevy V8, massive rear tyres with no mudguards, skinny fronts, with the only original T part being a brass plaque. I asked the owner how it was insured and he told me as a standard model T. I've encountered lots of examples of this on my travels in france, on 2 , 3 and 4 wheels. I would love to buy a 29A or 32B Ford hot rod over here, but the issue of insurance stops me.
Regarding the CT for bikes, FFMC have been fighting it for years as they think it will include a conformity check, meaning most customs would fail. The CT WILL come in, hopefully not before 2022. Interestingly, last year I was selling a CX 500 bobber I'd built, and many french buyers were put off as I'd chopped and modified the frame.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

SPJ
Australia

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by SPJ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am

https://www.mutuelledesmotards.fr/

I've found these guys, who will insure mods.

Cornishman
France

Modified Bike Insurance

Post by Cornishman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 am

SPJ wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am
https://www.mutuelledesmotards.fr/

I've found these guys, who will insure mods.
icon_Fete2